BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

COPPER HEAD GASKETS

5 posters

Go down

COPPER HEAD GASKETS Empty COPPER HEAD GASKETS

Post  mustang557 February 8th 2013, 7:13 am

I HAVE A QUESTION, I PURCHASED AN A-460 HEADED, 598 CI WHICH HAS 80 RUNS ON IT. IM GOING TO DISASSEMBLE THE MOTOR TO INSPECT THE BEARINGS. ANOTHER SET OF A-460 HEADS CAME WITH THE DEAL
WITH TITANIUM INTAKE VALVES WORK DONE BY JON KASSE. THE BLOCK HAS BEEN 0-RINGED WITH NO RECEIVER
GROOVE IN HEADS. HAS ANYONE USED TITAN COPPER HEAD GASKETS? OR IS THERE A BETTER COPPER GASKET
SUGGESTION. ALSO WITH 80 RUNS SHOULD I BOTHER WITH RING REPLACEMENT (HELL FIRE RINGS)?

mustang557

Back to top Go down

COPPER HEAD GASKETS Empty Re: COPPER HEAD GASKETS

Post  bruno February 8th 2013, 10:01 am

the only ones ive used are sce , had a stock block o-ringed but no groove in the cylinder head ...had sealing issues all the time ....... went to a cometic gaskets on the new block wiht the same cylinder heads and had --- zero issues ......

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 February 8th 2013, 9:25 pm

you should groove the heads or it'll leak.mine leaked with SCE and Clark.i did all the tricks with copper coat and silicone with the same results,water in the cylinders.some have had the block cut with the wire left in and used a cometic gasket. whatever you can do to get the copper gaskets gone you'd be ahead.IMO. Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 February 9th 2013, 12:17 am

mustang557 wrote:I HAVE A QUESTION, I PURCHASED AN A-460 HEADED, 598 CI WHICH HAS 80 RUNS ON IT. IM GOING TO DISASSEMBLE THE MOTOR TO INSPECT THE BEARINGS. ANOTHER SET OF A-460 HEADS CAME WITH THE DEAL
WITH TITANIUM INTAKE VALVES WORK DONE BY JON KASSE. THE BLOCK HAS BEEN 0-RINGED WITH NO RECEIVER
GROOVE IN HEADS. HAS ANYONE USED TITAN COPPER HEAD GASKETS? OR IS THERE A BETTER COPPER GASKET
SUGGESTION. ALSO WITH 80 RUNS SHOULD I BOTHER WITH RING REPLACEMENT (HELL FIRE RINGS)?

COPPER GASKETS SUCK, BUT YOU CAN GET THEM TO SEAL WITH SEALER, DONT CUT A RECEVER GROOVE IN THE HEAD, WE NEVER HAVE HAD TO DO THAT,AND IF YOU DO YOU WILL BE SORRY YOU DID LATER

SWITCH TO COMETIC,OR DECK THE BLOCK AND USE A FEL PRO
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

COPPER HEAD GASKETS Empty cometic gaskets

Post  mustang557 February 9th 2013, 8:30 am

THANKS FOR ALL THE HELP, I DIDNT KNOW COMETIC GASKETS MADE ONE FOR O-RING BLOCKS OR HEADS.
WHERE CAN I GET THEM?

mustang557

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE February 9th 2013, 8:43 am

I used Copper head gaskets on some of my Cleveland stuff with the O-ring in the block & no receiver groove in the head, but they were iron heads and not aluminum (might make a difference with aluminum, but I'm not sure). The first set of coppers leaked bad, I had used copper coat (IIRC) as the sealer & didn't retorque them (I think I was told not to retorque, but can't remember).

On the second try a friend that worked at another machine shop took a look & pointed out that the guy who originally O-ringed the block did a terrible job of installing the wire. The first guy didn't fit the ends of the wire together very well in the groove, and had just clipped the wire with snippers leaving some fairly large gaps in the O-ring wire. So there were in effect some small spots were the copper was never embeded with the wire. So I got some new wire & re installed the O-rings my self following his suggestions. He also suggested I use GE aluminum silicone to seal them instead of copper coat. And after the first few heat/cool cycles to retorqe them several times (or untill the retorque numbers finally held). The second set sealed perfectly & never leaked (that I ever saw evidence of anyway).
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down