BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Head bolt torque and Copper gaskets

5 posters

Go down

Head bolt torque and Copper gaskets Empty Head bolt torque and Copper gaskets

Post  falconracer February 6th 2010, 10:03 pm

What is the proper torque value for BBF head bolts?

Also any suggestions on installing new copper head gaskets. Technique, sealants. The heads are Blue Thunders with o rings.
falconracer
falconracer

Back to top Go down

Head bolt torque and Copper gaskets Empty Re: Head bolt torque and Copper gaskets

Post  Frank Kramer February 7th 2010, 4:52 pm

in steps 70 -110 - 140 with oil

What is your combo? With blown alcohol we o-ring the block and have receivers in the heads.

I've always been running them dry but I don't run water.
Did it also on a monstertruck one time and after a couple of heat cycles we retorqued them and the didn't leak also.

Frank
Frank Kramer
Frank Kramer

http://www.seasideaffair.com

Back to top Go down

Head bolt torque and Copper gaskets Empty bolt torque

Post  falconracer February 7th 2010, 6:09 pm

Thanks

Carb only no power adders. dragrace only. runs 5.50s in 1/8th. I do use water so I don't want no leaks. Heads are oringed only.
falconracer
falconracer

Back to top Go down

Head bolt torque and Copper gaskets Empty Re: Head bolt torque and Copper gaskets

Post  the Coug February 7th 2010, 7:00 pm

no comment leave it to the other people to say....

Randy

Last edited by the Coug on February 9th 2010, 12:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Head bolt torque and Copper gaskets Empty gaskets

Post  falconracer February 7th 2010, 8:35 pm

with the heads already oringed im not sure i can do cometics...plus i got to have a certain thickness that only i found in copper
falconracer
falconracer

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs February 7th 2010, 8:43 pm

falconracer wrote:with the heads already oringed im not sure i can do cometics...plus i got to have a certain thickness that only i found in copper

How deep is the o-ring groove? Aluminum heads? If so, have the groove welded shut and surface them and use the Cometics. Lem can get many different thicknesses in the Cometics as well. Copper has it's place, I'm not sure you need them.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  falconracer February 7th 2010, 9:15 pm

heads are alum BTs they are ready to bolt on now... just looking for help with what I have. thanks for the suggest though i considered that earlier but not welding them up, pounding copper in the groove and resurfacing was the option given by evans but i decided to go back back with the copper
falconracer
falconracer

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs February 7th 2010, 9:33 pm

falconracer wrote:heads are alum BTs they are ready to bolt on now... just looking for help with what I have. thanks for the suggest though i considered that earlier but not welding them up, pounding copper in the groove and resurfacing was the option given by evans but i decided to go back back with the copper

The copper wire in the receiver groove would work as well. Good luck with the copper gaskets, they wouldn't be my choice for sure, but it's your build.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole February 7th 2010, 9:59 pm

just an FYI

Here is a pic of my BT heads after Charlie filled the grooves with copper wire and then milled them, Looked great.

Head bolt torque and Copper gaskets Heads005
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  falconracer February 7th 2010, 11:36 pm

Thanks for all the info.. I know Evans does good work and I may have this done during the next freshen job. For now I need to get it back ready to race, I also run Div 2. The Falcon I have won Best Engineered at 2006 Div 2 Final @ Carolina...Hope to see you at one of the races..
falconracer
falconracer

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down