BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Anybody mount the master cylinder inside the car?

+8
Art
cool40
HorsinAround
whatbumper
bbf-falcon
QtrWarrior
richter69
jbozzelle
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Anybody mount the master cylinder inside the car? Empty Anybody mount the master cylinder inside the car?

Post  jbozzelle February 26th 2013, 6:27 pm

Looking at using a Wilwood dual MC/pedal setup that mounts the MCs inside the car. Anybody use one?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Anybody mount the master cylinder inside the car? Empty Re: Anybody mount the master cylinder inside the car?

Post  richter69 February 26th 2013, 6:42 pm

yes, dual mc's, wilwood pedal assy............under the dash
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Anybody mount the master cylinder inside the car? Empty Re: Anybody mount the master cylinder inside the car?

Post  QtrWarrior February 26th 2013, 6:42 pm

I'm not sure, but I think Grandpa's black horse uses this style peddle setup..
QtrWarrior
QtrWarrior

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 26th 2013, 6:46 pm

You guys using the pedal setup with the balance bar and the dual 3/4 bore MCs? Any specific part number or pedal ratio to get? I don't feel like having the MC smack up against the valve cover when I put this thing together...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 26th 2013, 6:49 pm

I'll try and get some pics............best thing I ever did, outta sight outta mind....
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon February 26th 2013, 8:24 pm

richter69 wrote:yes, dual mc's, wilwood pedal assy............under the dash

Thats where mine is at. Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper February 26th 2013, 11:31 pm

Same setup here. Different ratios and bore sizes due to dual rear calipers and single piston fronts.

Last edited by whatbumper on February 26th 2013, 11:35 pm; edited 1 time in total

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 26th 2013, 11:33 pm

sorry no pics, been too busy cryin on here....... Very Happy
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle February 27th 2013, 4:17 pm

Any idea which pedal I need to get here? Jeg's has 3 reverse swing pedals listed from Wilwood. Two have a 6.25:1 ration the other a 5.1:1 ratio. Pretty sure I need the 6.25: 1 ratio. Only difference I see between those two is the pedal itself. One looks fancier and is adjustable. The other is not.

Do any you guys recall which part number you're using? How hard was it to get the bias adjusted using the bias bar? I assume I don't need a prop valve if I can adjust the bias bar?

http://www.jegs.com/p/Wilwood/Wilwood-Brake-Clutch-Pedal-Assemblies/744524/10002/-1

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround February 27th 2013, 4:45 pm

Dumb question here. If you put the MC under the dash, do you use a remote reservoir kit, and mount on the firewall or do you get the integral reservoir.

I've been thinking about this for my project as well as it not only makes more room but it cleans up the firewall as well.
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 February 27th 2013, 10:19 pm

jbozzelle wrote:Any idea which pedal I need to get here? Jeg's has 3 reverse swing pedals listed from Wilwood. Two have a 6.25:1 ration the other a 5.1:1 ratio. Pretty sure I need the 6.25: 1 ratio. Only difference I see between those two is the pedal itself. One looks fancier and is adjustable. The other is not.

Do any you guys recall which part number you're using? How hard was it to get the bias adjusted using the bias bar? I assume I don't need a prop valve if I can adjust the bias bar?

http://www.jegs.com/p/Wilwood/Wilwood-Brake-Clutch-Pedal-Assemblies/744524/10002/-1
here is some real good info i found while looking at stuff for my build. http://www.markwilliams.com/braketech.aspx
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 27th 2013, 11:03 pm

you can see the mc's peekin under the dash, just pop the panel out to service........... SRV "custom" sticker not included.......

Anybody mount the master cylinder inside the car? DSCF0881
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle March 1st 2013, 4:24 pm

Any idea on which part number I need to get?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Art March 6th 2013, 6:29 pm

Our chassis guy moved our master cylinder to the interior of the car on the floor board by the roll cage bar. He made a cover for the cylinder to protect from foot damage to the cap of the cylinder. If you have not decided yet let me know and I will get you some photos. This is in a 98 Mustang.

Art

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf March 6th 2013, 10:33 pm

Personally I like them in the floor. I've used a couple different models as well. With my Falcon I had a 6:1 and went to a 7:1 ratio but it has large Brembo calipers and with the shorter pedals the pedal was just too hard. I tried going smaller and smaller on the M/C and never could get a good feel. With the longer pedal I hope it will be less effort. The Wilwood pedal in my Pinto worked great with my swap meet setup. I don't even remember what ratio it is. For best results the whole system needs to be matched. I would honestly call Wilwood and ask them. The caliper volume affects the master cyl size and pedal travel needed otherwise the pedal pressure will be too hard, too soft etc. There also needs to be enough travel with regards to the master cyl size otherwise you may or may not have enough volume of fluid needed for the caliper volume. Then, the m/cyl bore and pedal ratio also affect the pedal effort which is really the brake fluid pressure which needs to be a certain pressure for best braking. Then to make it even better you can juggle different pedal ratio's with different m/cyl bores to move you brake pressure into the desired range.

It's actually more complicated than one might think.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE March 7th 2013, 5:30 am

On cars that see any amount of street use I like the m/c mounted somewhere well above the calipers (and/or drums), and not in/under the floor. This is just to reduce the possible chance of any m/c damage on the street from road hazards, and reducing the possible need for inline residual valves.

On a race car with a floor mounted pedal I like the m/c mounted ahead of the pedal above the floor (either in front or behind the firewall). Doing it this way gets the m/c a little higher off the ground (vs in/under the floor), and there's no chance of stomping on the m/c by mistake when getting in/out of the car, and it can reduce (a little) the need for inline residual valves.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich Osmond March 13th 2013, 12:01 pm

Anyone done this with a stock body FOX? I would love to get the MC out of the engine compartment to make accessing the spark plugs easier.

Rich Osmond

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 13th 2013, 12:06 pm

anything can be done with a little fabrication ..........
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle March 13th 2013, 2:57 pm

I'm plannin to hang mi e off of the factory pedal bow mount on the bottom of the coal. No pics or pedal yet so it may be some time.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper March 13th 2013, 8:06 pm

Rich Osmond wrote:Anyone done this with a stock body FOX? I would love to get the MC out of the engine compartment to make accessing the spark plugs easier.

yes, dont have any pics though

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich Osmond March 19th 2013, 10:36 pm

Anyone have photos of a MC mounted inside a stock Fox body? thx

Rich Osmond

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle March 28th 2013, 10:54 am

About to buy the pedal setup. What bore sizes should I get? Strange drag brakes all the way around. 3/4" or 1" ?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Rich Osmond March 28th 2013, 11:15 am

It would be best to call Strange

Rich Osmond

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 March 28th 2013, 2:13 pm

cool40 wrote:
jbozzelle wrote:Any idea which pedal I need to get here? Jeg's has 3 reverse swing pedals listed from Wilwood. Two have a 6.25:1 ration the other a 5.1:1 ratio. Pretty sure I need the 6.25: 1 ratio. Only difference I see between those two is the pedal itself. One looks fancier and is adjustable. The other is not.

here is some real good info i found while looking at stuff for my build. http://www.markwilliams.com/braketech.aspx
this link is worth reading...
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn March 29th 2013, 8:44 pm

Jon, Mikey was correct about mine being mounted on the inside. This is an old photo when the dual reservoirs where mounted under the hood. When I put in the digital dash I moved them inside right behind the dash. That made it easier for me to get to #7 & 8 plugs. Brake balance is adjusted with the blue knob in the photo. Works good and has detents so it doesn't change the adjustment from any vibration.

I think the part number for the pedal assy, is 340-5180

Anybody mount the master cylinder inside the car? DSCF1004

Found another photo that show the mounting bracket I made to mount it.

Anybody mount the master cylinder inside the car? DSCF1007
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next