BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Finally got the daughter's truck up and running .....

5 posters

Go down

Finally got the daughter's truck up and running ..... Empty Finally got the daughter's truck up and running .....

Post  ThndrChkn June 20th 2013, 12:18 am

Well, after a descent chunk of change on both sides, and a bit of trading, I was finally able to get my daughter's truck up and running ... It's a 1984 F150, std cab shortbox. It's pretty rough on the outside, but the 351W I put in it more than makes up for that... It's a bone stock 96 Windsor roller from an F350. I did some trading and picked up some Edelbrock Performer heads, a Stealth intake and a 750 QFT DP ... The engine had 168,000 miles on it, and only had .00075 bore taper, and the crank never even needed to be ground ... I put new rings and bearings in it, and installed the FRPP E303 hyd roller, and a complete MSD ignition...

The truck is around 4700#, has a 3.55 gear in an 8.8, with 31-10.50x15 tires and a 435 4 spd transmission ... I ran it on my marked 1/8 mile next to my house, and it ran 78 mph ... No idea as to et, but it's scootin' for sure, for what it is... My computer is down, and I can't post pics from my phone, but I can send some to someone if they wanna post them for me... It ain't much to look at, but it sure runs good ... I need to check the gears, because someone either changed them, or it's making a bit more TQ than I thought ... I can put it in 3rd gear and just let the clutch out and it just takes right off...
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Finally got the daughter's truck up and running ..... Empty Re: Finally got the daughter's truck up and running .....

Post  Dave C. June 20th 2013, 5:49 am

That explains where you've been!

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Finally got the daughter's truck up and running ..... Empty Re: Finally got the daughter's truck up and running .....

Post  HorsinAround June 21st 2013, 9:56 am

Here is a picture Doug sent me the other day when it was raining out there.

Finally got the daughter's truck up and running ..... 2013-06-12_15-05-43_688_zps3dd7ac2a
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

http://www.frontpagefab.com

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround June 21st 2013, 10:01 am

Here it is without the rain..

Finally got the daughter's truck up and running ..... 2013-06-11_15-37-32_412_zpsf17817ec
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn June 21st 2013, 10:35 am

Thanks Alan, for posting the pics ... I told ya it weren't much to look at... LOL!
Reminds me of the story about the high school kids I told ya...
I was sitting at a stoplight on Monday, and a couple kids rolled up beside me, and one kid asks, hey, does that big hood scoop mean that truck's fast? When the light turned green, they found out it wasn't just for looks... The kid later told me, "That's the fastest piece of junk he's ever seen"... Still not sure how to take that, but sure was funny the way he said it...
I laughed and told him, next time I'll put the pedal all the way to the floor ... LOL!! All he said was, HOLY #*&@! !! LOL!!
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround June 21st 2013, 11:17 am

Finally got the daughter's truck up and running ..... Resampled_2013-06-21_08-53-12_83_zps92f80825
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller June 21st 2013, 11:52 pm

ThndrChkn wrote:Well, after a descent chunk of change on both sides, and a bit of trading, I was finally able to get my daughter's truck up and running ... It's a 1984 F150, std cab shortbox. It's pretty rough on the outside, but the 351W I put in it more than makes up for that... It's a bone stock 96 Windsor roller from an F350. I did some trading and picked up some Edelbrock Performer heads, a Stealth intake and a 750 QFT DP ... The engine had 168,000 miles on it, and only had .00075 bore taper,  and the crank never even needed to be ground ... I put new rings and bearings in it, and installed the FRPP E303 hyd roller, and a complete MSD ignition...  

The truck is around 4700#, has a 3.55 gear in an 8.8, with 31-10.50x15 tires and a 435 4 spd transmission ...  I ran it on my marked 1/8 mile next to my house, and it ran 78 mph ... No idea as to et, but it's scootin' for sure,  for what it is...  My computer is down, and I can't post pics from my phone, but I can send some to someone if they wanna post them for me...  It ain't much to look at,  but it sure runs good ... I need to check the gears, because someone either changed them, or it's making a bit more  TQ than I thought ... I can put it in 3rd gear and just let the clutch out and it just takes right off...

Very cool sleeper,my 2011 F-150 Supercab 4X4,EcoBoost V-6 ran a 9.44 at 74.15 in the 1/8 mile and a 14.68 at 93.7 mph in the 1/4 mile.

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn June 22nd 2013, 12:17 am

That's kinda what I was thinkin Mark, a 9.30-9.40'ish range is pretty good for her daily driver ... I need to take her out and teach her how to "drive" the stick... She's pretty stoked to have this thing up and running... My son's not really too enthused about the hotrod stuff, but that's ok... He's got his mind on playing football at the college where he goes... And that's awesome in itsself... He didn't have too tough of a time crackin a smile when I took him for a ride in it though... LOL!!
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller June 22nd 2013, 12:53 am

The 2013 F-150 Supercab 4X4 i have now ran a 9.46 in the 1/8 mile and a 14.88 at 91 mph in the 1/4 mile but only has 3.31 gears in it.Very Happy:D:D

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn June 22nd 2013, 1:04 am

We'll find out in a couple weeks, officially anyway... I'll find out tomorrow night just how fast it is... I'm gonna go race a guy with his chevy truck at one of our old "hot spots"... ;-) The best part is (hopefully) it's $100.00/gear...
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. June 22nd 2013, 8:20 am

Gopro time.!

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn June 22nd 2013, 9:11 am

Would if I had one... Might just have the daughter ride along and run the camera... LOL!
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround June 24th 2013, 8:31 am

ThndrChkn wrote:We'll find out in a couple weeks, officially anyway...  I'll find out tomorrow night just how fast it is... I'm gonna go race a guy with his chevy truck at one of our old "hot spots"...  ;-) The best part is (hopefully)  it's $100.00/gear...

A'aight Doug, please tell us that the dude in the chevy didn't smoke your tail...
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn June 24th 2013, 10:36 am

Well, all I can say is I'm glad I listened to them and ran a full 1/4 and not just to the 1/8... I forgot to take into acct that I had a 4 speed to his automatic, 'cause even though I was pulling hard on him, he had me by at least a fender at the 1/8, but it was a totally different ballgame at the 1/4... I got him by about the length of my daughter's truck ... All in all, it was a pretty good Sat. night, I won $400.00 racing, and then won another $100.00 at the bowling alley doing Vegas Bowling ...

I think the guy had me at the 1/8 because I thought I'd put a 1" spacer under the carb, and it just killed the bottom end, but it still pulled good through the upper midrange and into the topend ... I'm thinking I may put it back the way it was for all around power, but then again, it gets better mileage with the spacer, and it's not really a full racer, so I'll run it this way awhile and see... It has an intermittent dead spot off idle when it's warm with the spacer too... So I may try giving it a little more initial shot and see if that helps...
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller June 24th 2013, 11:45 pm

Congrats on the win and the Money Ford=1 Chevy=0!!!

Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  HorsinAround June 25th 2013, 9:53 am

ThndrChkn wrote:Well, all I can say is I'm glad I listened to them and ran a full 1/4 and not just to the 1/8...  I forgot to take into acct that I had a 4 speed to his automatic, 'cause even though I was pulling hard on him, he had me by at least a fender at the 1/8, but it was a totally different ballgame at the 1/4... I got him by about the length of my daughter's truck ... All in all, it was a pretty good Sat. night, I won $400.00 racing,  and then won another $100.00 at the bowling  alley doing Vegas Bowling ...

I think the guy had me at the 1/8 because I thought I'd put a 1" spacer under the carb, and it just killed the bottom end, but it still pulled good through the upper midrange and into the topend ...  I'm thinking I may put it back the way it was for all around power, but then again, it gets better mileage with the spacer, and it's not really a full racer, so I'll run it this way awhile and see... It has an intermittent dead spot off idle when it's warm with the spacer too... So I may try giving it a little more initial shot and see if that helps...

A little 75 shot of bug juice will take care of those flat spots. lol..
HorsinAround
HorsinAround

Back to top Go down

Post  jpierce55 July 2nd 2013, 10:25 am

I love the 80's Ford trucks. Sounds like it runs good from your time post.

jpierce55

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn July 3rd 2013, 12:49 am

I too like these body styles the best... I think it'll run better all around after I get the automatic swapped...
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down