BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ladder bars on the street? Pros/cons?

+8
Tore
Kens429
richter69
bbfstang
70429scj
RapidRuss
DILLIGASDAVE
Greg_P
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Ladder bars on the street?  Pros/cons? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ladder bars on the street? Pros/cons?

Post  Northwest outlaw August 30th 2009, 12:14 pm

Greg is the car trying to pull out of the lights at 2200rpms how hard are you holding the brakes? With the car preloading like that you have already off loaded the driver side of the car. My next ? is are you hitting any unit out of the hole? This is a s/s car right its going to be hard to play both well see if we can get working better for you. Jason
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Ladder bars on the street?  Pros/cons? - Page 2 Empty Re: Ladder bars on the street? Pros/cons?

Post  billandlori August 30th 2009, 1:06 pm

Greg, have you tried leaving off an idle? That might alow the bars to work better, you might be loosing the suspension action by preloading the car. You can see the car raising the rear when you bring it up on the brakes.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P August 31st 2009, 10:45 am

Yeah it's a street/strip setup, so there's going to be some compromises.

I have tried leaving off idle and it immediately smoked the tires, but that was earlier in the year..... I might try the off idle deal again and see how it works.

The spray is coming on at 4000 rpm via an rpm switch. In the first vid it was coming on at 4500, and after we were getting some traction I bumped it down to 4000.

2000 is easy to hold at the line. It starts creeping if I get above 2500 at the line.

What should I be looking for on the footbrake as far as preload, rpm, etc?

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori August 31st 2009, 12:29 pm

Greg, I am far from an expert, but logically, when you pre-load your suspension a lot, you are loosing much of the suspension's separation effort, as its already separated. With the torque your making it seems to really lift the car while your pre-loading it. This should work for you to plant the tires good and hard. If your blowing the tires off when leaving off an idle, maybe you need a looser shock extension so it hits the tires harder??

I have a neighbor running a 1971 Mustang with a 598 Kaase engine doing big wheels up launches with mono leaves and cal-tracs, the car is mini-tubed with around a 12" wide tire. He isn't running a trans brake just a throttle stop type thing for the launch instead of a rev-limiter.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P August 31st 2009, 6:23 pm

Interesting, what you say makes sense but I had never given it much thought before.

Time to ponder....

scratch
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2