BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Thermostat or not

+10
Mustang-junky
cool40
supervel45
nord315
DanH
CHARLIEB
Curt
4thHorseman
David Cole
460Dave
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Thermostat or not - Page 2 Empty Re: Thermostat or not

Post  DanH March 28th 2014, 3:04 am

Curt wrote:
DanH wrote:
supervel45 wrote:
Curt wrote:It would dependent on the effectiveness of your cooling system. The more efficient it is, the more water you can move through it. If it is poor, you'll need to keep it in the radiator longer.
                                                                                                                                       Curt is correct on this statement. The temperature difference across the inlet and outlet line statement is also correct. In the HVAC world it is done all the time to on refrigerant coils and chiller barrel's. It is how we determine if the coil or barrel is dirty and when it is time to rod the tubes on chiller barrels. Get a few different temp. thermostats and a laser temp. gun, and check for yourself, on your setup, and see what provides the most drop between entering and leaving water temp, through the radiator. Then try a restrictor and see how it does. Otherwise we are all speculating, unless our cooling system is exactly like yours. I could not tell a customer over the phone if his condensor coil needs cleaning, or the condensor fan is not running to full RPM, without taking some readings, if you get my drift.

Curt, is the info giver type to fast for you?  if so- get a pre K grader to explain it.
looks as if your fact isn't a fact. time for you to get a correct/quality cooling system

Curt, get use to your fact wasn't a fact.

btw

Can someone translate this for me?  LOL   Laughing

you haven't got a Pre K 5 year old yet? you smart enough to know where to find one?

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE March 28th 2014, 3:55 am

What I observed years ago with my first pump gas street/strip Cleveland that used a conventional crank driven water pump setup was without a thermostat or restrictor plate it did take a little longer to get up to temp. But once it finally got up to running temp it was way too easy to make it over heat if I drove it hard, or if I had to sit in traffic for a while. But when using a thermostat or a restrictor plate (forget the size hole used), it ran a lot cooler under load & while sitting in traffic. With these results I assumed that without a thermostat or restrictor the water was moving through the radiator unrestricted at a faster rate that outpaced the rate at which the water could transfer enough of it's heat to the air during it's reduced time in the radiator.

On the other hand from what I have seen on drag only cars that have both an elec. fan & an elec. water pump is it really doesn't seem to matter much (most of the time anyway) if a restrictor is used or if nothing is used at all. This is probably because of the short run time a drag car sees combined with the ability to continue to run the fan/pump after engine shutdown back in the pits.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  NOS42 March 28th 2014, 3:59 pm

Moroso makes all different sized restrictors .....I believe all engines cannot be treated equally and all theorys are not always correct
NOS42
NOS42

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt March 28th 2014, 4:30 pm

NOS42 wrote:Moroso makes all different sized restrictors .....I believe all engines cannot be treated equally and all theorys are not always correct

Properly applied theory is more right than not. Thinking that theory applies to all similar things is not.

2 460 engines may appear the same sitting in the frame rails. They may have drastic differences in cooling requirements.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2