BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics.

+14
70FB
Dave De
dave d
Dave C.
Frank Merkl
c.evans
69F100
DILLIGASDAVE
cool40
richter69
69bluehotrod
Larry Williams
maverick
bosshoss
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics. - Page 2 Empty Re: So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics.

Post  c.evans October 8th 2014, 8:39 pm

Dean, You may want to go to either Larry Jeffers Race Cars or Tim McAmis Race Cars and study the '67 Mustang bodies they offer for some helpful ideas. http://timmcamis.com/
http://jeffersprocars.com/

The McAmis car is a 7/8 scale body and is actually a totally different body than the Jeffers car. Apparently Jeffers offers two '67 Mustang bodies, one being a Pro street version. Both shops are in Missouri and are ironically only about 50 miles apart from each other. I know you're not going Top Sportsman or Pro Mod racing, but both of these bodies are going 200 - 230 mph and by studying the front ends, you may come up with some ideas for your car.

Hope this helps,
Uncle Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics. - Page 2 Empty Re: So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics.

Post  Frank Merkl October 13th 2014, 6:13 pm

my new car with a Mcamis Body
So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics. - Page 2 Newcar_zps2fee083d
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick October 14th 2014, 7:21 am

Frank Merkl wrote:my new car with a Mcamis Body
So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics. - Page 2 Newcar_zps2fee083d

Swoopy. Cool
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. October 14th 2014, 10:48 am

I'm pretty sure the Grande liked it.

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  dave d October 14th 2014, 4:17 pm

That's NICE Frank cheers
dave d
dave d

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave De October 28th 2014, 9:31 pm

69bluehotrod wrote:Before   &   After...  I closed the grill off with a simple plexiglass filler... it seems to be more stable at a "lowly" 135mph /8th mi.  and I don't see the hood swelling like I use to...the "chin " spoiler made a BIG difference with stability IMO...
this winter I am going to play around with aero on the lower valence...

So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics. - Page 2 Burnout_zpsd4ea9012

So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics. - Page 2 Grillmustang_zps70c33764

How do you strap it to your trailer without having the chin spoiler hit the straps?
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  70FB October 29th 2014, 2:49 pm

My front end is stock and I use the hole in the bumper bracket just below the bumper. My spoiler is about 3-1/2" off the ground.
70FB
70FB
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 5th 2014, 10:30 pm

Yall got me thinking so i thought i'd try it out. 3.5" off the ground will be a pia to load up but if it helps the driving i can deal with it. Laughing So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics. - Page 2 20141105_153016 So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics. - Page 2 20141105_153000. All i need is paint!
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 November 6th 2014, 12:03 am

cool40 wrote:Yall got me thinking so i thought i'd try it out. 3.5" off the ground will be a pia to load up but if it helps the driving i can deal with it. Laughing  So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics. - Page 2 20141105_153016 So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics. - Page 2 20141105_153000. All i need is paint!

Looks Good - But I'd give that guy that's been doing Burn outs a bucket & mop and make him clean it up.Smile

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 6th 2014, 1:20 am

Launch pad.... Cool
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss November 6th 2014, 3:19 pm

Well I never experienced any of the instability you guys are referring to.. What I was noticing was video evidence that the front end of my car was much higher at the finish line than it is at rest. I assumed that the shape of the nose and he aerodynamic qualities of that were causing the front end to rise. Driveabillity was fine.. at 165.

The main issue seemed to be that from track to track and even lane to lane i was getting big swings in measured finish line mph... ie plus or minus 5 mph.

I added a quick and dirty aluminum chin spoiler from the bottom of the front bumper to 3.5/4" up from the ground.

This seemed to help the mph readings but did not appear to change the ride height at the finish line very much.

This is all based off of hand held video evidence that is not crystal clear at that speed.

Building a new chassis for next year with a late model nose and it will have shock travel sensors.

Not sure what I would have to do to the 67 to glue the nose down at speed... further work on ground effects I suspect... I also wonder how much of an effect four link set up has.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  racnrick November 6th 2014, 3:35 pm

Dean,
Whats the plans for the car you have now, after the new one is done?

racnrick

Back to top Go down

Post  Barney November 6th 2014, 8:59 pm

One could fab a composite and dzus it on so it's removable.
Barney
Barney

http://www.hdraracingseries.com

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 6th 2014, 9:12 pm

Barney wrote:One could fab a composite and dzus it on so it's removable.
Idea thats the plan if i have much trouble loading it. It may not help any but i cant see how it could hurt with mph in the 140+ range.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss November 6th 2014, 9:36 pm

Racnrik...

Not sure at this point... If I had enough spare change I might turn it in to a Super Street/bracket car....

Havent made any decisions yet.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss November 6th 2014, 9:37 pm

Racnrik...

Not sure at this point...  If I had enough spare change I might turn it in to a Super Street/bracket car....

Havent made any decisions yet.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE November 7th 2014, 5:38 am

Even though an OEM style 69-70 Mustang chin spoiler sits a good distance back from the bottom of the front bumper, it's about the only way to help reduce the amount of air getting under the front of the car & creating lift (on cars with lower to average front ride heights).

But if you have a real low car that has the nose really slammed down in the dirt, the Pro Stock/Pro Mod style front spoilers that start further forward/right under the front bumper (like on the McAmis front end) usually do a better job moving air around to the side and/or up over the top.

Regardless of the style front spoiler used, the closer to the ground they are mounted/made, the better they will reduce the amount of air getting under the front.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 7th 2014, 11:14 pm

Got some black on it today. Now i think i'll fix up a new tow hook through the front end just under the bumper. So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics. - Page 2 20141107_141412
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  STR-LGL-70 November 8th 2014, 1:27 pm

Cool 40,
Off topic but what brand fiberglass nose is on your car? I just picked one up a couple weeks ago and the hood and fenders, etc. are all 1 pc. Is this how the one on your car was and then you cut out hood section?
Thanks, Sheldon G
STR-LGL-70
STR-LGL-70

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 8th 2014, 5:50 pm

STR-LGL-70 wrote:Cool 40,
Off topic but what brand fiberglass nose is on your car? I just picked one up a couple weeks ago and the hood and fenders, etc. are all 1 pc. Is this how the one on your car was and then you cut out hood section?
Thanks, Sheldon G
yes it was a one piece I bought new years ago from a place called maas.I had a stock front end then and cut it out to fit.it didn't have a bumper on it either, I got it a few years ago from somewhere else.
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  STR-LGL-70 November 9th 2014, 10:03 am

Thanks Cool 40,
I might bug you for some pictures of how you did yours if I ever get around to installing my front end. The one I have does not have a bumper either & I also debating on changing the headlight buckets to "70 ones. I found fiberglass ones from another vendor. The whole frontend does not feel too much heavier than my A&A fiberglass hood but it is the bolt on one (heavy) . My fenders are steel but slide off in 1 pc.
Thanks, Sheldon
STR-LGL-70
STR-LGL-70

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 9th 2014, 12:51 pm

STR-LGL-70 wrote:Thanks Cool 40,
I might bug you for some pictures of how you did yours if I ever get around to installing my front end. The one I have does not have a bumper either & I also debating on changing the headlight buckets to "70 ones. I found fiberglass ones from another vendor. The whole frontend does not feel too much heavier than my A&A fiberglass hood but it is the bolt on one (heavy) . My fenders are steel but slide off in 1 pc.
Thanks, Sheldon
I had to put some bracing inside it because its so thin butit works.lol
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69bluehotrod November 9th 2014, 10:11 pm

Dave De wrote:
69bluehotrod wrote:Before   &   After...  I closed the grill off with a simple plexiglass filler... it seems to be more stable at a "lowly" 135mph /8th mi.  and I don't see the hood swelling like I use to...the "chin " spoiler made a BIG difference with stability IMO...
this winter I am going to play around with aero on the lower valence...

So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics. - Page 2 Burnout_zpsd4ea9012

So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics. - Page 2 Grillmustang_zps70c33764

How do you strap it to your trailer without having the chin spoiler hit the straps?

Bring the tie down straps thru the hole just under the bumper along with the winch easy-peezy...
69bluehotrod
69bluehotrod
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://rainbowvacuumsalesservice.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  69bluehotrod November 9th 2014, 10:23 pm

cool40 wrote:Yall got me thinking so i thought i'd try it out. 3.5" off the ground will be a pia to load up but if it helps the driving i can deal with it. Laughing  So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics. - Page 2 20141105_153016 So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics. - Page 2 20141105_153000. All i need is paint!

Got a set of these and they are awesome for low cars, now dragging at any point no matter if I drive it in the trailer or winch it in.. 3" off ground at the spoiler.

So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics. - Page 2 Raceramps_zps305473af
69bluehotrod
69bluehotrod
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://rainbowvacuumsalesservice.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 25th 2014, 1:39 am

I made a new tow hook. hated to make a hole in the front but not much choice. lol  So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics. - Page 2 20141118_171744
So who knows anything about front end aerodynamics. - Page 2 20141118_171852
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next