BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

JD Sqaured Model 32 Tubing Bender Question

+2
canzus
747JetMech
6 posters

Go down

JD Sqaured Model 32 Tubing Bender Question Empty JD Sqaured Model 32 Tubing Bender Question

Post  747JetMech November 13th 2009, 9:00 pm

Hey Guys

I purchased a new tubing bender and was wonder what experience you have had with these? I read the air over hydraulics is slow. The price on the electric pumps is pretty high. Has anyone found anything cheaper to drive these benders?
Also going to build a stand this weekend. I am concerned about the foot print size. Looks like it will have to be pretty large to keep things stable. I am making my portable and not mounting rigid to the floor.

Thanks

Tom
747JetMech
747JetMech

Back to top Go down

JD Sqaured Model 32 Tubing Bender Question Empty Re: JD Sqaured Model 32 Tubing Bender Question

Post  canzus November 13th 2009, 9:19 pm

Try here...

http://www.offroadfabnet.com/forums/

Mainly devoted to off road rigs, but tons of very good tech...
canzus
canzus

Back to top Go down

JD Sqaured Model 32 Tubing Bender Question Empty Re: JD Sqaured Model 32 Tubing Bender Question

Post  DILLIGASDAVE November 13th 2009, 9:27 pm

Sorry no experience with the new model 32, mine is the old manual operated model #3. Even with hydraulic or electric power doing all the work for you, you still might think about anchoring the stand to the floor so it will be easier to put a long piece of tubing in the bender without fear it might fall over. It's also easier to figure/set up compound angle bends if the bender is mounted rigid & not moving around.

I put a set of flush threaded anchors in the shop floor in two spots so I have a choice of where to put the bender/stand in the shop.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

JD Sqaured Model 32 Tubing Bender Question Empty Dilligas

Post  747JetMech November 14th 2009, 12:55 am

A flush mount? Hmmmm Never saw one that goes into concrete. Where do I get one?
747JetMech
747JetMech

Back to top Go down

JD Sqaured Model 32 Tubing Bender Question Empty Canzus

Post  747JetMech November 14th 2009, 12:59 am

Great site. Its in my favorites!

Thanks
747JetMech
747JetMech

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw November 14th 2009, 3:34 am

I run the 32 and love it i have done 1 5/8 .120 wall with one hand the anti kick back is cool and keeps the stroke down.
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice November 14th 2009, 8:54 am

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:Sorry no experience with the new model 32, mine is the old manual operated model #3. Even with hydraulic or electric power doing all the work for you, you still might think about anchoring the stand to the floor so it will be easier to put a long piece of tubing in the bender without fear it might fall over. It's also easier to figure/set up compound angle bends if the bender is mounted rigid & not moving around.

I put a set of flush threaded anchors in the shop floor in two spots so I have a choice of where to put the bender/stand in the shop.

Like Dave I have an older model manual operated that is floor mounted. Mine may have an 8"x8"x 1/4" plate on the bottom, not real big. A friend of mine who is a rock crawler fabricator has a rolling table that his bender is mounted to. His is air over hydraulic and seems to work fine on the rolling table.

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE November 14th 2009, 11:40 am

I forget what these flush in-floor threaded anchor "slugs" are called but they are two piece expanding assemblies that lock themselves into drilled holes in the floor.

The inner steel sleeve is kinda tapered on the outside & threaded on the inside. The outer sleeve is made of soft lead. The inner tapered sleeve pulls up through the lead outer sleeve in the floor when you install them locking them into the hole in the floor.

This gives you a threaded anchor hole down in the floor, instead of threaded anchor bolts sticking up-out of the floor to trip over.

I will take a pic of an anchor if I can find one of the extras I bought long ago.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  canzus November 14th 2009, 12:07 pm

747JetMech wrote:A flush mount? Hmmmm Never saw one that goes into concrete. Where do I get one?

http://www.mcmaster.com

Search for screw anchors...

Scroll down this page...

http://www.mcmaster.com/#catalog/115/3263/=4i1253

Simple!
canzus
canzus

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw November 14th 2009, 12:31 pm

they are call a few thing rock bolts ,anchors ,red heads hope that helps
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice November 14th 2009, 1:16 pm

Drop in anchors. Your local Fastenal carries them. Mine are 1/2" threaded inside, I think they are a 3/4 or 5/8 hole for the concrete.

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave Maxwell November 14th 2009, 5:42 pm

no experience with that one.

I have 2 hossfeld number 2 benders. One is hydraulic, mounted on a rolling cart and the other is floor mounted with the concrete anchors.
If i had the room, i would mount the hydraulic one to the floor as well.
Its easier to swing that long tubing around outside at this time.

Dave Maxwell

Back to top Go down

JD Sqaured Model 32 Tubing Bender Question Empty Thanks Travis

Post  747JetMech November 14th 2009, 8:27 pm

Thanks Travis. There is a fastenal just down the road.

Tom
747JetMech
747JetMech

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE November 14th 2009, 10:01 pm

Could only find one anchor and of course it's missing it's outer lead sleeve (figures) but you get the idea.
JD Sqaured Model 32 Tubing Bender Question Lead-steelanchor

this from Fastenal is very similar to what I have.
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=51009&ucst=t

Pic of the bender/stand. I use a few washers as leveling shims (where needed) under the mounting feet/bolts to adjust the level on all 4 corners.
JD Sqaured Model 32 Tubing Bender Question JD2tubebender2
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice November 14th 2009, 10:20 pm

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:Could only find one anchor and of course it's missing it's outer lead sleeve (figures) but you get the idea.
JD Sqaured Model 32 Tubing Bender Question Lead-steelanchor

this from Fastenal is very similar to what I have.
http://www.fastenal.com/web/products/detail.ex?sku=51009&ucst=t

Pic of the bender/stand. I use a few washers as leveling shims (where needed) under the mounting feet/bolts to adjust the level on all 4 corners.
JD Sqaured Model 32 Tubing Bender Question JD2tubebender2

Dave, I beleive the 2 piece anchor that you are referencing takes a set tool that threads into the anchor then you smack it with an hammer and it pulls the bottom up through the top.

I used a Hilti I peice anchor that has a threaded inside and a nylon plug inside that you drive into the floor and the bolt pushes the plug down hence tightening the ancor in the concrete.

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE November 14th 2009, 10:32 pm

TravisRice wrote:Dave, I beleive the 2 piece anchor that you are referencing takes a set tool that threads into the anchor

If you don't drill the hole too deep (or too big a diameter) in the floor, an installation tool usually isn't needed for these lead sleeve anchors.

Usually just smacking what little of the anchor that might sit above the floor with a hammer first is usually enough to get things going & allow you to set the anchor the rest of the way with just a large/thick flat washer & a short 1/2-13 bolt. Crank on the 1/2 bolt with a socket/ratchet untill the inner threaded sleeve pulls up close to the washer & it's done.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down