BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

something wrong? or is it!

+5
whatbumper
cool40
rmcomprandy
dfree383
nitrous.f
9 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

something wrong? or is it! - Page 2 Empty Re: something wrong? or is it!

Post  jones December 2nd 2015, 9:56 pm

yellowhorse7 wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
yellowhorse7 wrote:It's a good thing flow benches don't win races

If a guy leaves late he is damn sure beat....is that what you are addressing?

All I meant was that I've seen (we ALL have) heads that flow shit on a bench but still seem to make impressive power numbers real-time. And there plenty of head porters out there that inflate numbers to sell product and service. For example.....P51 heads lol

Sounds like I'm missing something about the P51 heads? Ya'll let me in on the drama!

All I know is that the P51's out of the box flow close to 400cfm. In order to get the 400cfm they have to be hand massaged not something that can be done on a mass scale.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans December 2nd 2015, 10:32 pm

jones wrote:
yellowhorse7 wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:

If a guy leaves late he is damn sure beat....is that what you are addressing?

All I meant was that I've seen (we ALL have) heads that flow shit on a bench but still seem to make impressive power numbers real-time. And there plenty of head porters out there that inflate numbers to sell product and service. For example.....P51 heads lol

Sounds like I'm missing something about the P51 heads? Ya'll let me in on the drama!

All I know is that the P51's out of the box flow close to 400cfm. In order to get the 400cfm they have to be hand massaged not something that can be done on a mass scale.

Seems like there is some 'drama' attached to this deal.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jones December 2nd 2015, 11:10 pm

Well, if I remember right it's always best to inform a customer not to get hung up on over all CFM. Instead look at the before and after flow numbers of work that has been done.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  nitrous.f December 2nd 2015, 11:12 pm

yellowhorse7 has a point because I was reading david vizard book how to port and flow cylinder heads. and he stated that 28hg of water is not the holy grail when it comes down to flowing heads. he did a test at 10hg of water and the heads flowed more cfm.so speaking on whatbumper is talking about could be that some heads were checked using a lower pressure drop which would take the cfm #'s up! I think that right Suspect
nitrous.f
nitrous.f

Back to top Go down

Post  jones December 2nd 2015, 11:23 pm

As a wise man once told us all. It takes a good ear to know the difference between a happy port and a dirty port (they can flow the same numbers yet make big power differences). Is it flowed with a pipe or without? Some head porters will flow heads with a pipe that always makes the flow numbers look better. That right there is something that is often left off the flow sheets.

I know one head porter that doesn't often visit here anymore that's flow bench is powered by a shop vac, a total home built bench.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 December 3rd 2015, 11:23 am

whatbumper wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
whatbumper wrote:

correct.   but it does pay the bills.  it's just a shame that some people inflate their numbers to make people happy.  

Jeff Jones of Washington, IN. has a 1020 and a 600 SF. They don't produce the same numbers.... the same room and operator. It's not always a case of someone fudging the numbers.

I understand that but in this industry it seems the norm for guys to do that for some reason.  Everyone is a head porter now right? LOL

If these really went 390 unported that's awesome.  

I agree. I have seen in the 360's mainly unported. 90 degree short turn and narrow at the crest.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2