BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

AFR Head topic

+20
BOSS 429
JBR-3
whatbumper
DaveMcLain
DFI429
gt350hr
dfree383
5pointslow
IDT-572
Straubtech
68formalGT
Calypso
D. Sea
Scott Foxwell
QtrWarrior
octanehuffer
rmcomprandy
Mike R
cool40
Lem Evans
24 posters

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Go down

AFR Head topic - Page 4 Empty Re: AFR Head topic

Post  Lem Evans November 16th 2016, 8:17 pm

Being that there is some name dropping going on I'll get in the mix.

About 1990ish I was talking to J. Kaase about something to do with an engine and he replied "you'd be surprised what doesn't matter". I did not respond but, I though to myself 'then there has to be the inverse'....a guy will be surprised what does matter.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 November 17th 2016, 11:28 am

Scott Foxwell wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:
Straubtech wrote:
dfree383 wrote:
Straubtech wrote:
dfree383 wrote:
Straubtech wrote:The more piston speed you put in an engine the more demand is put on both induction and exhaust.

Can you please explain your comment?

Does it take more energy to walk 5250 feet then it does 4491 ft?  And the reason for this analogy is I'm not that smart so I have had to learn this stuff in terms I can relate too so in by no means am I belittling you with this question.

How much faster is a 6.7 rod the a 6.8 on a 632" ford?

We are not talking rod length sir, we are talking piston speed.  Stroke and rpm determine the fpm a piston will travel in an engine.   The rods just "hanging" out.

I prefer that my rods don't 'hang out'....they may 'go along for the ride' if they wish. Smile
LOL...poor choice of words...
but Rod legnth does effect piston dwell at TDC and BDC and the other ugly factors like side loading and friction.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr November 17th 2016, 12:54 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Being that there is some name dropping going on I'll get in the mix.

About 1990ish I was talking to J. Kaase about something to do with an engine and he replied "you'd be surprised what doesn't matter". I did not respond but, I though to myself 'then there has to be the inverse'....a guy will be surprised what does matter.

He told me the same thing about the "mountain motors'' with the 5.300 strokes. "Whatever it takes to hook the piston to the crank works".

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 November 17th 2016, 12:54 pm

At a point the speed is the same regardless of the rod length, but the rate at which the piston gets to that speed will be different.

Long rod will leave TDC slower and will accelerate differently to max speed than a short rod.

This is what changes how air speeds up, starts, and stops in the port.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 November 17th 2016, 12:57 pm

gt350hr wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:Being that there is some name dropping going on I'll get in the mix.

He told me the same thing about the "mountain motors'' with the 5.300 strokes. "Whatever it takes to hook the piston to the crank works".

I guess it matters if your making plenty of power and you don't sweat the small stuff.

But I bet in NHRA Pro Stock their looking for everything that does matter.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr November 17th 2016, 1:05 pm

Straubtech wrote:
dfree383 wrote:
Straubtech wrote:
dfree383 wrote:
Straubtech wrote:The more piston speed you put in an engine the more demand is put on both induction and exhaust.

Does it take more energy to walk 5250 feet then it does 4491 ft?  And the reason for this analogy is I'm not that smart so I have had to learn this stuff in terms I can relate too so in by no means am I belittling you with this question.

We are not talking rod length sir, we are talking piston speed.  Stroke and rpm determine the fpm a piston will travel in an engine.   The rods just "hanging" out.

MAX piston speed remains constant for a given stroke and RPM scenario that is 100% correct. Rod length changes affect the piston speed off of and back onto TDC along with dwell at BDC and TDC. Nothing new .

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  JBR-3 November 17th 2016, 1:31 pm

Last edited by JBR-3 on February 22nd 2020, 3:39 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : .)

JBR-3

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell November 17th 2016, 4:40 pm

gt350hr wrote:
Straubtech wrote:
dfree383 wrote:
Straubtech wrote:
dfree383 wrote:

MAX piston speed remains constant for a given stroke and RPM scenario that is 100% correct. Rod length changes affect the piston speed off of and back onto TDC along with dwell at BDC and TDC. Nothing new .
Peak piston speed and piston acceleration will change with rod ratio. For the same bore/stroke, same rpm, a shorter rod will put more demand on the induction.

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell November 17th 2016, 4:41 pm

JBR-3 wrote:Maybe this will help:

Stroke and RPM alone will give you a number, that number is the average piston speed
from TDC to BDC. This number can be useful. Rod length makes no difference to this number.

Instantaneous piston speed is read off a graph that is a modified sine wave. Piston speed at TDC
is zero, then gets very large, then back to zero at BDC. The peak piston speed does depend on
rod length.

Two engines running with the same stroke and RPM will have the same average piston speed,
but the piston in the shorter rod engine will momentarily reach a higher peak speed than the
piston in the longer rod engine. This is always true, but the difference is very small between
the two peak speeds.

Incidentally, the peak piston speed always occurs when the rod and crank are at a right angle
to each other. This obviously happens at a different position of crank rotation. But, here too
the difference in crank degrees is pretty small (but not the same).
Usually around 76*. Excellent post.

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Blair December 14th 2016, 9:14 am

470 CI with a 4.50 stroke mattered. Got the score up at Engine Masters. Bunch of speed off TDC.

Last edited by Gary Blair on December 14th 2016, 1:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Gary Blair
Gary Blair

Back to top Go down

Post  Scott Foxwell December 14th 2016, 10:04 am

gt350hr wrote:

How many years did it take them to keep those 5.3 stroke engines from coming apart at the rpm they wanted to run them? Wink

Scott Foxwell

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy December 14th 2016, 11:55 am

IDT-572 wrote:At a point the speed is the same regardless of the rod length, but the rate at which the piston gets to that speed will be different.

Long rod will leave TDC slower and will accelerate differently to max speed than a short rod.

Somethings to think about ...
The intake valve is more wide open when the piston is approaching BOTTOM dead center; the best rod leverage with a shorter rod happens slightly sooner and will be at a more advantageous position with a higher cylinder pressure being present.

However, overlap crossover flow, detonation resistance, ignition timing requirement and intake runner back-flow is mostly affected near Top Dead Center.

It is all a trade-off and your decision will dictate the importance of the different functions.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 December 14th 2016, 12:00 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
IDT-572 wrote:At a point the speed is the same regardless of the rod length, but the rate at which the piston gets to that speed will be different.

Some things to think about ...
The intake valve is more wide open when the piston is approaching BOTTOM dead center;  the best rod leverage with a shorter rod happens slightly sooner and will be at a more advantageous position with a higher cylinder pressure being present.

However, overlap crossover flow, detonation resistance, ignition timing requirement and intake runner back-flow is mostly affected near Top Dead Center.

It is all a trade-off and your decision will dictate the importance of the different functions.

Good info.............. Thanks bud Wink
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Straubtech December 14th 2016, 12:17 pm

Our first build with the AFR head on pump gas (11.7) is 1.50HP per cube. We average around 1.4HP per cube with the GM stuff. This head is going to be a huge success for the BB Ford guys.

Straubtech

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy December 14th 2016, 12:34 pm

Straubtech wrote:Our first build with the AFR head on pump gas (11.7) is 1.50HP per cube.  We average around 1.4HP per cube with the GM stuff.  This head is going to be a huge success for the BB Ford guys.

For at least the last 5 years, it has been almost impossible to convince any cylinder producing companies that a Big Block Ford cylinder head like this, would become a success.

If it is not a Chevrolet they just didn't want to hear about it; even if all the prototyping and actual design was done for them at NO cost what-so-ever.
They say there is no market and are looking for a "sure thing" but, don't realize it is staring them in the face. Rolling Eyes

I remember about 10 years ago that all the crankshaft companies said the same things and cold not be convinced about offering big block FORD forged crankshafts. Now they all can't keep them stocked on the shelves.

Each one of those crankshafts is connected to TWO cylinder heads.  Exclamation

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans December 14th 2016, 12:38 pm

A guy can't sell out of an empty wagon :-}.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Blair December 14th 2016, 1:53 pm

Lem Evans wrote:A guy can't sell out of an empty wagon :-}.

Laughing
Gary Blair
Gary Blair

Back to top Go down

Post  Gary Blair December 14th 2016, 1:57 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:
Straubtech wrote:Our first build with the AFR head on pump gas (11.7) is 1.50HP per cube.  We average around 1.4HP per cube with the GM stuff.  This head is going to be a huge success for the BB Ford guys.

For at least the last 5 years, it has been almost impossible to convince any cylinder producing companies that a Big Block Ford cylinder head like this, would become a success.

If it is not a Chevrolet they just didn't want to hear about it; even if all the prototyping and actual design was done for them at NO cost what-so-ever.
They say there is no market and are looking for a "sure thing" but, don't realize it is staring them in the face. Rolling Eyes

I remember about 10 years ago that all the crankshaft companies said the same things and cold not be convinced about offering big block FORD forged crankshafts. Now they all can't keep them stocked on the shelves.

Each one of those crankshafts is connected to TWO cylinder heads.  Exclamation

Same story on intake manifolds. Herr Doctor at Edelbrock knows this full well. The BBF Victor III manifold based on the Chevy BB Victor III price should be north of $1500. Good thing some privateers are willing to invest their time and money for the BBF.
Gary Blair
Gary Blair

Back to top Go down

Post  Carl December 14th 2016, 7:25 pm

Agreed. The words; "game changer", and "obsolete", also come to mind.

Smile

Carl

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4