BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Edelbrock Package for Towing Engine

+6
dfree383
zbob
longroofracer
billandlori
IDT-572
RustyBolts
10 posters

Go down

Edelbrock Package for Towing Engine Empty Edelbrock Package for Towing Engine

Post  RustyBolts December 18th 2009, 2:53 am

I'm building a 460 to go in a 1980 F-350. It will be used mostly as a Tow Rig, and maybe a daily driver. I know when it comes to engine building, component matching is the key. IIRC, Edelbrock makes a package that includes a Carb, Cam, Lifters, and Intake Manifold geared toward Idle-5500 RPM operation. Would this be a good choice?

RustyBolts

Back to top Go down

Edelbrock Package for Towing Engine Empty Re: Edelbrock Package for Towing Engine

Post  IDT-572 December 18th 2009, 12:31 pm

It's a good package , but I think you could go the custom cam route and do better. There are several venders on here that can get your package exactly where you want it.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Edelbrock Package for Towing Engine Empty Re: Edelbrock Package for Towing Engine

Post  RustyBolts December 18th 2009, 8:25 pm

IDT-572 wrote:It's a good package , but I think you could go the custom cam route and do better. There are several venders on here that can get your package exactly where you want it.
How should I go about contacting them?

RustyBolts

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori December 18th 2009, 8:37 pm

Here is a list of the vendors on this site. https://www.429-460.com/engine-tech-f2/vendor-list-updated-8-10-09-t115.htm

There are several here and most can spank Summit prices too.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  RustyBolts December 18th 2009, 8:44 pm

Alrighty. Thanks Bill!

RustyBolts

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer December 19th 2009, 12:18 am

Randy... Rmcomprandy, Carl... CarsbyCarl, and Scotty... Mad Porter have all offered (as listed vendors, unless I missed someone)some advice in your posts. I would pick one close to you, simple because shipping, phone calls and road trips will be cheaper. I think if you get any of them involved in your deal, you will be happy with the results. Pick one close to you and you can't go wrong.

I met Carl at his Rocky Mountain Throwdown deal in August, and it was a good time, glad I made the road trip and looking forward to next year. I think there is something missed in the keyboard... phone calls and the "face to face" make a difference. People like ZephyrBob make it real interesting, especially if you need a garage door lol (free plug Bob!)
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  zbob December 19th 2009, 6:40 pm

entertainment is good, lol. yea second the idea of dealing with real individuals instead of large operations. zephrbob

zbob

Back to top Go down

Post  RustyBolts March 29th 2010, 6:15 pm

Alrighty guys, start shooting me component lists and prices.

RustyBolts

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 29th 2010, 6:35 pm

Better to call and discuss what you need with a vendor of your choice.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy March 29th 2010, 7:37 pm

dfree383 wrote:Better to call and discuss what you need with a vendor of your choice.
Dave ... it seems like price here is the ONLY criteria for the parts needed.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Edelbrock Package for Towing Engine Empty Towing Engine

Post  Mark Laczo March 29th 2010, 9:30 pm

You need to make a detailed list of intended use not just a generic towing.

Tire size
Gear Ratio
Intended loaded weight
Octane rating of fuel used
what you expect
what you will realistically get.
what is your budget
can you do anything yourself
do you have any parts that can be used

Once these are all answered actually talk(on the phone) to one of the individuals and go from there. No one is going to make a list and send it too you if they don't know exactly what you want and have their name on it.

JMO Mark
Mark Laczo
Mark Laczo

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer March 30th 2010, 12:22 am

Mark Laczo wrote:You need to make a detailed list of intended use not just a generic towing.

Tire size
Gear Ratio
Intended loaded weight
Octane rating of fuel used
what you expect
what is your budget
can you do anything yourself
do you have any parts that can be used

Once these are all answered actually talk(on the phone) to one of the individuals and go from there. No one is going to make a list and send it too you if they don't know exactly what you want and have their name on it.

JMO Mark
Agreed... Spend a little time on the phone and get to know the person. You will likely find that they are not going to just give you a parts list of how to build your engine. Each of them will likely have their own recipe of how to get where you want to be... and I wouldn't really expect to get an exact list that I could price shop at Summit or Jegs after they spent hours on the phone with me... until the product was paid for. These guys have a living to make too ya know lol!
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  RustyBolts March 30th 2010, 1:28 pm

Tire size--LT 235/85 R16
Gear Ratio--4.10
Intended loaded weigh--Up to around 20,000 LBS
Octane rating of fuel used--85-89, 91-93 if needed while towing
what you expect--Good low RPM Torque
what is your budget-Rather limited
can you do anything yourself--yes
do you have any parts that can be used--Rebuilt stock internally balanced 460 with D3VE A2A Heads with cast iron intake and exhaust manifolds.

RustyBolts

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug March 30th 2010, 2:24 pm

personally I think the ports on the Edelbrocks are a little big for a lower rpm torque package.....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Edelbrock Package for Towing Engine Empty Location

Post  Mark Laczo March 30th 2010, 5:39 pm

Rusty bolts,

If you are on a budget it would benefit you to use a vender that is close to you where are you located. On the other site Scotty J had a thread titled

"RHP 521 truck high torgue build. 500HP, 600 ft/lbs"

It details what is required. This may help you some. It just shows you don't need the aftermarket aluminum stuff unless you want to.

FWIW Mark
Mark Laczo
Mark Laczo

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf March 30th 2010, 9:26 pm

Mark Laczo wrote:Rusty bolts,

If you are on a budget it would benefit you to use a vender that is close to you where are you located. On the other site Scotty J had a thread titled

"RHP 521 truck high torgue build. 500HP, 600 ft/lbs"

It details what is required. This may help you some. It just shows you don't need the aftermarket aluminum stuff unless you want to.

FWIW Mark

Do you have a link because I couldn't find it.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Edelbrock Package for Towing Engine Empty RHP build

Post  Mark Laczo March 30th 2010, 10:12 pm

No link.
I actually printed a hardcopy out (because I like to keep hardcopies and keep all kinds of paperwork) Jan.24/2006 from an original Network 54 post Oct.15/2005.

This 521 build may be listed on Scott site.

FWIW Mark
Mark Laczo
Mark Laczo

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 March 31st 2010, 11:10 am

Lem just did a 501 1/2 the other day I will see if I cand find it for you, killer build. Cool
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 March 31st 2010, 11:11 am

IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down