BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dragstrip result AFR 280 heads

+2
J.Toney
manofmerc
6 posters

Go down

Dragstrip result AFR 280 heads Empty Dragstrip result AFR 280 heads

Post  manofmerc June 12th 2020, 4:54 am

I finally got my afr heads installed and made it to the track .These replaced a set of edelbrock cjs and victor intake .Everything else was the same . The afrs really picked up my 60 foot so much that it spun the tires badly after lowering the tire pressure though I went from a 151 -152 60 ft. with the eds to a 150 with the afrs .And a 6.86 et. I had a time slip from last july I ran a 6.96 .So I just picked up one tenth and one mph not much for such great effort and $$. A little about the car 67 comet 3420 with driver c-6 with Franks transbrake 8" convertor 4.10 gears 466 flat tops h beam rods sft cam 633-636 252-259 108 lsa 102 int.cl. I have a 1050 quick fuel carb it isn't a dominator with afrs intake manifold .That intake has small runners when you put the gasket on the intake it is noticeably smaller probably a good thing .My edelbrocks are the cj head and I believe the port volume is 320 ? the afrs are supposedly 280 .I could feel the torque increase it was noticeable but it didn't pull any harder than my eds that only have a good valve job .In defence of the afrs my two step was set 500 rpm lower 2300 from 2800 just to be careful for now ans I haven't had a chance to change jets my timing was set at 32 .So My plans are to up the jets two numbers for now I gave my cal tracs a quarter turn as well . I am beginning to think the edelbrocks aren't so bad after all on the other hand with the eds my best ever was a 6.81 on a cool march day 6.86 in the heat is good for my heavy car .I might run a 6.70 in the cooler weather we will see. It is a lot of work to install the afrs checking for pushrod length getting that right and having your pistons cut for the intake valves is a lot of work and expense .I had to buy two pushrod checking tools and a 12" caliper but I will use them again .Really curious to see what happens with a jet increase and setting my two step up .Also how would the trick flow heads compare .Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Dragstrip result AFR 280 heads Empty Re: Dragstrip result AFR 280 heads

Post  J.Toney June 14th 2020, 8:44 am

It sounds like you’re telling us there is a bunch more torque in the lower RPM, yet you kept the same converter?
Where did this converter flash stall on the previous and current combo?
J.Toney
J.Toney

Back to top Go down

Dragstrip result AFR 280 heads Empty Reply

Post  manofmerc June 16th 2020, 5:27 am

Yes there is more low end and my convertor is the same .Flash stall is about the same 4200 .Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Gregaust likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  litshoot June 16th 2020, 12:18 pm

Sounds like you might want to tighten the converter some if your getting more bottom torque.

litshoot

Back to top Go down

Post  manofmerc June 18th 2020, 4:38 am

For now I plan to leave my convertor alone .I am just showing some real world results with these AFRs .I read on the other forum someone couldn't get his heads to torque down .What happened was AFR had milled the head bolt holes to low his bolts were bottoming out even with washers . We will have another race in a couple weeks I plan on some changes so I will see .The Covid 19 is coming back here in Ga. hopefully the track wont have to close .Everybody be safe .Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  The Mad Porter August 2nd 2020, 3:12 pm

The AFR heads might want a bit less total timing.

SJ
used 2b RHP

The Mad Porter
The Mad Porter

http://www.reincarnation-automotive.com

Back to top Go down

Post  manofmerc August 3rd 2020, 3:21 pm

Scott I am running a total of 32 degrees .After giving my cal tracs a 1/4 round more preload my car hooks really good now .Still just about one tenth quicker .Went to the track last weekend it was 95 degrees . I went up on the jets still about the same numbers .The next time I will lean the jets and see what happens .Really it is so hot now I don't expect any changes to be effective.Looking forward to fall !Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Dragstrip result AFR 280 heads Empty Update

Post  manofmerc October 2nd 2020, 6:15 am

To make this short increasing my jetting was going the wrong way . Once I started going leaner my et went down .I started about 91-94 went 89-91 went 6.84 went 87-89 6.82 . I will try 86-87 and I might take two degrees of timing out 32 to 30 .These heads have really helped my 60 foot but still I expected more from them . I believe if I had used my victor intake it would run identical to my edelbrock heads .The victor fit really good but there is a port mismatch on 3 and 7 and somehow I just didn't like it .Although afr will tell you it is ok to run that way and all the bolt holes were perfect .Knowing what I know now I should have put a stroker crank in my 460 if I wanted to go two - four tenths quicker .And for every ones information. I had a nice set of iron cjs and after installing these edelbrocks I picked up three tenths with less compression.This was about 15 years ago.Thanks all Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  gt350hr October 2nd 2020, 12:31 pm

Doug are your EDs for sale? PM me if they are..

Randy

gt350hr

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust October 3rd 2020, 3:42 am

You could try less timing . My stroker with Edelbrocks made power at 28° total ,anything over that torque dropped off , that was on engine dyno.

Good to see real results I must say Cool

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  manofmerc October 3rd 2020, 5:44 am

Greg less timing is my plan .My local track is open today so for test and tune I will back off on my timing . Funny though my engine always wanted 36 degrees with the Edelbrocks .And Randy for now I plan to keep my old heads .Do you need a mechanical fuel pump ?In reality My car does run better it really pulls hard out of the hole .But for all the hype about the afrs and the effort and $$ to install them my supposed to be inferior eds aren't so bad after all .If Edelbrock would modernize the combustion chamber on their heads they could have a contender .Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Gregaust likes this post

Back to top Go down

Dragstrip result AFR 280 heads Empty 32 works best

Post  manofmerc October 4th 2020, 4:27 am

Oct.3 was an ideal day for racers low humidity cool 65 degrees .My comet went the best ever 6.75 pulling the frontend higher than ever this was with 32 degrees total .It went 6.80 with 30 degrees .And a backup pass 6.77 with 32 again . I have been thinking about a 502 or 520 cu.in. engine but with this package maybe 460 cu.in. is enough for now .Like I said earlier knowing what I know now a stroker would have been a better investment it would have gotten me to 6.50-6.60s and maybe I could have built a pump gas engine . The other thing is my mph is about 1 mph better not an issue but those Edelbrocks have a 2.19 valve compared to 2.25 for the afrs .Again I was expecting more than I got but my comet is quicker a1.45 60 ft.is a blast compared to about a 1.50 1.49 with the eds.Just guessing but I imagine Edelbrock copied a factory cj head those intake ports seem to big for my heavy 3400 lb. car .No more racing for a while our last race is in nov. . If anyone is interested my local track is silver dollar in Reynolds Ga. their might be a picture of my comet if anybody is curious about its appearance . I plan to lean my carb. again and that will be that .Doug

manofmerc
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Gregaust likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust October 5th 2020, 2:51 am

Nice work Doug... Cool

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content