BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Angry engine builder!

+8
rmcomprandy
wickettoby1
69F100
pmrphil
manofmerc
Gregaust
dfree383
Nothwoods
12 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Angry engine builder! - Page 2 Empty Re: Angry engine builder!

Post  Nothwoods February 18th 2021, 8:52 pm

I don't have a caliper to measure the lifters bores, but both the new and old ones seemed to fit pretty well, like not much play but not binding either. The worst one after the break-in attempt did some damage to the bore coming out because the bottom was so damaged. I cleaned it up and stuck the old cam back in and it still spins when I crank it with the starter. Probably the biggest issue is all the metal that went through my nice fresh motor but apparently that "metal" has the consistency of something slightly harder than cardboard so who knows, maybe I'll get lucky. Realistically I should tear it back down but I'm going to build something else anyway.

Nothwoods

Back to top Go down

Post  MidnightbluS10 February 22nd 2021, 12:42 pm

Nothwoods wrote:Ha I'm leaning towards Chinese parts!  I used the rocker and pushrod kit recommended for the cam.  I bought the springs they recommended but didn't get as far as installing them.  They recommended using the stock ones for break in which I did.  Used the manufacturers break in additive, and summit 10w30 with zddp additive.  Cam manufacturer suggests the oil is at fault

Too much ZDDP is a bad thing. You don't need to pile it on. Using their additive with summits on top is entirely too much. ZDDP isn't one of those things where if a little is good, too much is better. On the contrary. Too much is BAD for your engine and bad for oil lubricity. You likely caused this yourself, imo.

MidnightbluS10

Back to top Go down

Post  klork February 22nd 2021, 1:21 pm

MidnightbluS10 wrote:
Nothwoods wrote:Ha I'm leaning towards Chinese parts!  I used the rocker and pushrod kit recommended for the cam.  I bought the springs they recommended but didn't get as far as installing them.  They recommended using the stock ones for break in which I did.  Used the manufacturers break in additive, and summit 10w30 with zddp additive.  Cam manufacturer suggests the oil is at fault

Too much ZDDP is a bad thing. You don't need to pile it on. Using their additive with summits on top is entirely too much. ZDDP isn't one of those things where if a little is good, too much is better. On the contrary. Too much is BAD for your engine and bad for oil lubricity. You likely caused this yourself, imo.

That is a very real possibility. If you read up on oils and their additive packages, they are very particular about how they work. If you start to add extra stuff to the oil they can start to fight each other. The detergents in oils do not like extra stuff added to the oil.

klork

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy February 23rd 2021, 11:56 am

klork wrote:

That is a very real possibility.  If you read up on oils and their additive packages, they are very particular about how they work.  If you start to add extra stuff to the oil they can start to fight each other.  The detergents in oils do not like extra stuff added to the oil.

Most all of today's designated "break-in" oils have the right amounts of everything to facilitate a successful break-in.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2