BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Carb question

+3
Gregaust
zbob
curiousgeorge
7 posters

Go down

Carb question  Empty Carb question

Post  curiousgeorge January 14th 2022, 6:20 pm

I’m working on building a mild street engine and I’m thinking it will need around an 850cfm carb. I have an 1190 King Demon and I was curious if it could be jetted down and used effectively? I will probably just sell it or trade for a smaller carb but figured I’d ask first.

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Carb question  Empty Re: Carb question

Post  zbob January 14th 2022, 8:50 pm

850 carb is too small for a bbf. been there done that. weld some bungs in your headers for a wide band set up. then go tune the bigger carb you have....

zbob

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Gregaust January 15th 2022, 5:34 am

Have a look towards a 950... I had some years ago a 1090 Demon, it was a P.O.S . No matter what we did spending a whole afternoon on a chassis dyno could not get enough fuel out of it ..
Had a 2 circuit 1050 custom built by Performance Carbs in California . Still there to this day

Gregaust

Back to top Go down

Post  curiousgeorge January 15th 2022, 8:59 am

It seems there’s no in between with a demon. They either work great or they don’t. I’ve never had an issue with this one and I ran it for 8-9 years. I have a guy wanting to trade me a 950 xp but now I’m on the fence about it.

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino January 15th 2022, 1:34 pm

curiousgeorge wrote:It seems there’s no in between with a demon. They either work great or they don’t. I’ve never had an issue with this one and I ran it for 8-9 years. I have a guy wanting to trade me a 950 xp but now I’m on the fence about it.
Trade him! Barry Grant stuff is junk!

BBFTorino

Gregaust likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 15th 2022, 4:01 pm

Where does this idea of "jetting down" or "jetting up" originate ...?

This is nothing but a bunch of hogwash ... the carb is still the same CFM size.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Gregaust, Mark Miller, Dave De and 1982GT like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  curiousgeorge January 15th 2022, 5:04 pm

BBFTorino wrote:
curiousgeorge wrote:It seems there’s no in between with a demon. They either work great or they don’t. I’ve never had an issue with this one and I ran it for 8-9 years. I have a guy wanting to trade me a 950 xp but now I’m on the fence about it.
Trade him! Barry Grant stuff is junk!

I’ve heard that but my experience with this carb has not been that they are junk. Required no more tuning than the 4150 on my brothers truck.

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Post  curiousgeorge January 15th 2022, 5:09 pm

rmcomprandy wrote:Where does this idea of "jetting down" or "jetting up" originate ...?

Sorry for using the generalized term “jetting down”. Maybe I should have said: Is installing the proper air bleeds, power valves, jets and tuning to achieve proper air/ fuel ratio was possible with a mild street motor.

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Post  BBFTorino January 15th 2022, 6:47 pm

curiousgeorge wrote:
rmcomprandy wrote:Where does this idea of "jetting down" or "jetting up" originate ...?

Sorry for using the generalized term “jetting down”. Maybe I should have said: Is installing the proper air bleeds, power valves, jets and tuning to achieve proper air/ fuel ratio was possible with a mild street motor.
In a word, yes. The CFM size only comes into play at wide open, or near wide open. At part throttle, the CFM is much less, and well within the usable parameters of the engine.
Tune it to run good at part throttle / cruise...and the WOT will be pretty close to optimal (But will still need some fine tuning to get it spot on,)

BBFTorino

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy January 15th 2022, 11:16 pm

curiousgeorge wrote:

The carb is still the same CFM size no matter what else you change, unless the actual ventui's are changeable.

Getting the correct air/fuel ratio will require certain jets and other stuff ... anything else won't work correctly with that carb.

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Dave De likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller January 16th 2022, 12:46 am

I always get a laugh when people say wow that 1050 Dominator is going to be to much fuel for your engine,until i say you know that 1050 Cfm is an airflow rating not fuel!!

Mark Miller

Gregaust and 1982GT like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  rmk57 January 21st 2022, 4:20 pm

If this is a mild 460 for street use a 750 cfm carb would be plenty. One with annular boosters for crisp throttle response and great street manners is what I used.

rmk57

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller January 21st 2022, 11:11 pm

rmk57 wrote:If this is a mild 460 for street use a 750 cfm carb would be plenty. One with annular boosters for crisp throttle response and great street manners is what I used.

Did you used to post on Yellowbullet.com?

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  rmk57 January 21st 2022, 11:25 pm

Mark Miller wrote:
rmk57 wrote:If this is a mild 460 for street use a 750 cfm carb would be plenty. One with annular boosters for crisp throttle response and great street manners is what I used.

Every 1-2 years I'll check in for a bit, why?

rmk57

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller January 21st 2022, 11:48 pm

rmk57 wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:

Do you have an old Ford with a 460 in it?And did you used to post in the Do you want to know about 351 Clevelands Thread?

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  rmk57 January 22nd 2022, 1:43 am

Mark Miller wrote:
rmk57 wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:

Do you have an old Ford with a 460 in it?And did you used to post in the Do you want to know about 351 Clevelands Thread?

Ah yes, the Cleveland thread that wouldn't die. Gave up on it and doubtful I'll go back to it.

rmk57

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller January 22nd 2022, 11:13 pm

rmk57 wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:
rmk57 wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:

Ah yes, the Cleveland thread that wouldn't die. Gave up on it and doubtful I'll go back to it.

FWIW maybe just go to that thread and let everyone know you are ok,some of the guys were worried since you didn't post in the thread in some time!!

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  rmk57 January 23rd 2022, 11:01 pm

Mark Miller wrote:
rmk57 wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:
rmk57 wrote:
Mark Miller wrote:

FWIW maybe just go to that thread and let everyone know you are ok,some of the guys were worried since you didn't post in the thread in some time!!

Touched bases. It's almost like time stands still in that thread.

rmk57

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down