BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Flexplate starter combo

+4
snuff98
t-bird racer
norm
2 wicked
8 posters

Go down

Flexplate starter combo Empty Flexplate starter combo

Post  2 wicked June 12th 2022, 7:30 pm

Hey all, wondering what you all are using for starter and flexplate. Our set up has been, PRW sfi flexplate and Power master ultra torque starter. 1100 cca 12v battery. The engine is a 557 with 13.5 - 1 comp. C6 trans. We pull 20* at start up off of 35 total ign. We have constant issues, kick back most often. Have checked all connections multiple times. Checked for proper drive gear mesh etc. Tired of replacing starter and flexplate every couple races. Going to have the bell housing threads wore out of the block if this keeps up!!!! 😂. Going to switch to 16v battery I think. Fellow racer who runs bbf said he switched to 16v battery and meziere flexplate and starter. Hasn't had a issue with kick back since. But that's around $18/2000 . Hard to swallow. Wondering if the 16v battery will help ? Thanks cory

2 wicked

Back to top Go down

Flexplate starter combo Empty Re: Flexplate starter combo

Post  norm June 12th 2022, 9:44 pm

I never liked start retard when i used it and i wouldn't be surprised if that's your issue.

Mine is a 598 with a powermaster starter, timing locked at 30, group 31 AGM battery and 1 gauge cables. Never hesitates and rolls right over.

Only issue i ever had was fixed by adding a ground wire to one of the starter mounting bolts. Every once in a while the drive would hesitate and be spinning before it engaged with flexplate. Was determined it was a ground issue and adding one took care of it.
norm
norm

Back to top Go down

Post  2 wicked June 12th 2022, 10:04 pm

Thanks norm, we have a ground strap from starter to frame, engine to frame and battery to frame. Our battery cable is made from heavy welding cable, crimped copper eyelets and battery terminals. When checking voltage at starter it's always 12 - 12.5 volts. The connections never get warm after start attempt. Just tired of replacing shit!!! Lol !!! We have quite a collection of junk, 3 Power master starters, 8 starter drive gears, 4 flexplates. Plus 2 oem style pmgr starters. And one CVR starter. That's $ 1700 in starting system crap in 5 yrs. Told my son, going to get a hand crank if we can't get it straightened out!!! Thanks cory

2 wicked

Back to top Go down

Post  t-bird racer June 12th 2022, 11:22 pm

I have been fighting these same ghosts as well. I just updated my JW bell to a Reid Case and bell, Meziere Billet flex Plate, and a Meziere starter. I completed the
transmission case swap and I just need to put the transmission back in the car.

Reading the above post, I will add another ground strap from from the starter to the frame for GP.
t-bird racer
t-bird racer

Back to top Go down

Post  snuff98 June 13th 2022, 1:23 pm

I just went through the same thing with my 572. 3 prw and 2 hayes flexpaltes, 3 stock style starters, 4 powermaster ultra torque starter drives, 3 solenoids and a couple of ebay powermaster look alike star Just installed a brand new mezier billet flexplate that was sfi out of date in the box and the mezier starter. The car has never cranked this fast and with this much power before. The prw flexplates seem to have a different shape/profile on the teeth. Hope this ends my starter problems.

snuff98

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 June 13th 2022, 2:12 pm

My car will not crank with less than about 16-17 deg timing. I think I have it set on 20 something now it cranks smooth. Try less retard. I tried to solve this same problem with less timing one time it made it worse it just popped and skipped like it was wired up wrong at 14. That when I figured out It was barely cranking the whole time. It will still drag or kick back every now and then but not nearly as bad as when I was trying to crank it with 15-16 degrees timing. I run alcohol and about the same compression as you. Power master starter, scat flex plate, 12V

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 June 13th 2022, 2:12 pm

My car will not crank with less than about 16-17 deg timing. I think I have it set on 20 something now it cranks smooth. Try  less retard. I tried to solve this same problem with less timing one time it made it worse it just popped and skipped like it was wired up wrong at 14. That when I figured out It was barely cranking the whole time. It will still drag or kick back every now and then but not nearly as bad as when I was trying to crank it with 15-16 degrees timing. I run alcohol and about the same compression as you. Power master starter, scat flex plate, 12V

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  nedceifus June 13th 2022, 4:24 pm

I ran a key then ignition on a toggle. I’d get things rolling then turn the ignition on, seemed to work for me.
nedceifus
nedceifus

rmcomprandy and Dave De like this post

Back to top Go down

Post  pmrphil June 13th 2022, 6:20 pm

A customer of mine has an A headed 557 injected on alky, had the same problem. He changed to an ATI flexplate and a mid 90's truck starter (a reman, no less) and it's been great since. Timing is locked at 27. The Scat flexplates would only last just a few starts at best.

pmrphil

QtrWarrior likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  2 wicked June 13th 2022, 7:07 pm

Thanks to all, for the replies. Decided to order 16 v batt and charger, called meziere and talked to tech dept. Ordered their 400 series starter and 164 tooth 12 pitch billet flexplate. Pocket book is on 🔥!!!! Thanks cory

2 wicked

Back to top Go down

Post  nedceifus June 15th 2022, 9:09 am

Let us know how it works. Hope your squared away now.
nedceifus
nedceifus

Back to top Go down

Flexplate starter combo Empty Flexplate starter combo

Post  nottoold545 June 15th 2022, 1:26 pm

1990 Mustang with 598, 15.2:1 went through many pinion gears and flexplates until I bought Meziere 409 and billet flexplate with 10 pitch. You will need a solenoid relay per their instructions. You can clock this starter and set the tooth depth. All other starters shaft's flex. The proper starter procedures are a must! I also used rear pinion gear grease to show engagement pattern, follow their instructions. Mine has been running for years with no issue. Good choice!!

Mike

nottoold545

Back to top Go down

Post  2 wicked June 18th 2022, 1:06 pm

Well new XS 16-31 1130 cca battery and charger showed up the other day. Got that installed and for shits and giggles threw in the extra PRW flexplate and the old CVR starter. With a new drive gear, for I had bought an extra when I got it. Changed the start retard from 20 to 15 and gave it a whirl. Spins over like the starter has no load!!! The gear mesh sounded good. Sounded like a normal starter, not grinding or howling. Going to give this a try until it takes a shit. Then we will install the meziere starter and flexplate. Thanks again cory

2 wicked

Mark Miller likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down