BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building headers

3 posters

Go down

Building headers Empty Building headers

Post  curiousgeorge November 13th 2023, 9:58 pm

It is looking like I’m going to be building a set of headers for my build. For those that have built their own are there any good kits to start with or just get some flanges and a bunch of different bends and start piecing it together?

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Building headers Empty Re: Building headers

Post  stanger68 November 14th 2023, 11:10 pm

I used a set of cheap weld up kit dyno style headers. Cut then up and used the bends to make side exits. Worked pretty good.

A hose clamp works great for a guide to draw tour cut line theough the bend.

stanger68

curiousgeorge likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  curiousgeorge November 14th 2023, 11:17 pm

I hadn’t thought of using a hose clamp that’s a good idea. I had thought about getting some 2” flex pipe to get it routed the way I wanted them copying it with regular pipe.

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Post  stanger68 November 15th 2023, 11:26 pm

I tried using a hose but it didnt work for me to well. I fell back on my electrical skills and used a piece of stiff wire to mimic the bend and visualize what needed to happen. Its a little intimidating when you first start but after you get the first pipe done the others get easier as you go. Im sure long tubes will be harder than my side exits but i used welding magnets and masking tape to hold the collector and tubes in place temporarily. Masking tape across the weld seams holds stronger than you'd think if your pipe is clean. After you're happy with how one or two tubes are fitting peel the tape back an inch ir so just expose enough metal to get a tack weld on one joint at a time. After they're all tacked up bolt the flange down before you weld them up fully. If you don't bolt them down they will warp.

You will wear out a few hose clamps too. They will get sloppy after a while. When they get sloppy throw it in trash and get another one. As you snug it onto the tube kinda wiggle it a little to get it seated on the radius of the bend. It gives a perfectly straight line all the way around. Draw a line with a sharpie. Then cut with a porta band.

stanger68

Back to top Go down

Post  supervel45 November 15th 2023, 11:58 pm

curiousgeorge wrote:I hadn’t thought of using a hose clamp that’s a good idea. I had thought about getting some 2” flex pipe to get it routed the way I wanted them copying it with regular pipe.

Believe It Or Not, I Have Used 3/8" Soft Copper Tubing and Bent an Exhaust Pipe Shape, For Dual and Tail Pipes, From The Manifolds.

Brought The Pieces To The Muffler Shop. Had Pipes Bent. They Fit Fine.

1 1/8" Soft Copper Tubing (That's Fresh and Green) Might work to Shape Your Header Pipes Question

supervel45

stanger68 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down