BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I want to get my engine dyno'd

+10
Big block fox 339
billandlori
IDT-572
D. Sea
schmitty
Lem Evans
bbf-falcon
dfree383
bruno
jones
14 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

I want to get my engine dyno'd - Page 2 Empty Re: I want to get my engine dyno'd

Post  IDT-572 January 7th 2010, 4:56 pm

You need and old bell housing...............
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

I want to get my engine dyno'd - Page 2 Empty Re: I want to get my engine dyno'd

Post  Lem Evans January 7th 2010, 5:01 pm

Good advise Cool

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jones January 7th 2010, 5:43 pm

I just so happen to have two c6 cases, pleanty of radiators and could use 2" square tube for the stand. Just need to look at one someone has already built to see how they did the stands for the engine mount.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon January 7th 2010, 6:29 pm

Just GOOGLE "engine run in stand"

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori January 7th 2010, 8:22 pm

Here is one I found. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17TNOhHEuE0 it is at Wyotech.

All it needs is a rad, battery, fuel (jerry can), and gauges/swiches. Mufflers are optional depending on neighbours!!

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Big block fox 339 January 7th 2010, 10:15 pm

Hmmm I may just build me one. Do you just bolt up the flywheel bellhousing and starter
Big block fox 339
Big block fox 339

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer January 8th 2010, 9:51 am

jones wrote:I was just thinking of that. I might have to attempt to build my own break-in stand. I have some old mechancal guages I could use.

Here are a few...
http://www.460ford.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128061
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer January 8th 2010, 10:25 am

jones wrote:I just so happen to have two c6 cases, pleanty of radiators and could use 2" square tube for the stand. Just need to look at one someone has already built to see how they did the stands for the engine mount.

In the one I linked above(red/black and primer grey deal), I used 2" square reciever tubing and some cheapo drop hitches from Harbor freight. I set it up to hold a 460/c6, and it will adjust to long or short tailshaft style. It will adjust to many others, just have to make the mounts to fit the block. Watch how close it gets in the pan area, it took some measuring to keep it open enough to drop the pan while on the stand. I also made the frame wide enough to fit any headers that would fit my cars. Overkill, but it won't tip over. Used a radiator for a 73-79 Pickup, that mounts on a "crossmember" that bolts to the 3 tabs across the front.
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck stevens January 8th 2010, 12:58 pm

You don't need a bellhousing to run the engine on a motor stand. All you need is the tin plate, to locate the starter, and a homemade brace to back it up. An old, stock, flexplate will work fine...just so the balance matches your motor. Perhaps the kid can post some pics of his setup. I want to get my engine dyno'd - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

chuck stevens

http://E-MAIL= stevensracingent@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 January 8th 2010, 2:26 pm

Just remember not to rev it fast and hard it could flip the stand over if not made wide enough or bolted down.
Years back I had a front clip off of a old truck with a strieght axle we made a engine stand for braking motors we just used the frame rails and axle and made a adjustable leg on it for the rear wish I had taken some pics of it.I had a old rad. mounted on it a battery box ing. switch.Without the engine on it you could pick it up from the rear and move it pretty easy.fatfenders could make one with the front end he pulled out from his old truck.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer January 8th 2010, 10:04 pm

chuck stevens wrote:You don't need a bellhousing to run the engine on a motor stand. All you need is the tin plate, to locate the starter, and a homemade brace to back it up. An old, stock, flexplate will work fine...just so the balance matches your motor. Perhaps the kid can post some pics of his setup. I want to get my engine dyno'd - Page 2 Icon_biggrin

True. I have a gutted C6 case that I use. Keeps stuff away from the flexplate, and it is light enough to install and remove by myself.
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  jones January 9th 2010, 1:09 pm

Got to thinking about it and realized it would be cheaper to just install the engine in the truck chassis. I have to take the front clip off to install the new clip so I can just put it in then and use my empty c6 case. Then if I don't have enough $$ for a dyno session Ican just leave it in.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans January 9th 2010, 2:26 pm

Now you're thinking Wink alien farao

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  83-88T-Bird Guy January 10th 2010, 2:37 pm

jones wrote:Got to thinking about it and realized it would be cheaper to just install the engine in the truck chassis. I have to take the front clip off to install the new clip so I can just put it in then and use my empty c6 case. Then if I don't have enough $$ for a dyno session Ican just leave it in.

Yes, it would be cheaper and easier since you have the clip off anyway.
83-88T-Bird Guy
83-88T-Bird Guy

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2