BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I know wrong place.......

+2
Oakley Motorsports
bigblockfox468
6 posters

Go down

I know wrong place....... Empty I know wrong place.......

Post  bigblockfox468 February 16th 2010, 9:51 am

But I figured I would get more hits and responses here then the trans section.

What kind of shifter are you guys using for drag racing? pro's and con's, what to look for and what to think of.

I had a C4 with a Hurst Quarter stick. Trans is getting replaced with a glide that has a trans brake. I'm not familiar with all the shifters that are available as I look thru the Jeg's and Summit catalogs. Since I've already have used a quarter stick, I'm looking at the Hurst Quarter stick pistol grip (It has the button on top) . Also since the car was set up with this shifter type, I kind of like how they were able to use the cars original console and boot. It looked good. But I'm open to suggestions.

Last edited by bigblockfox468 on February 16th 2010, 11:23 am; edited 1 time in total
bigblockfox468
bigblockfox468
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

I know wrong place....... Empty Re: I know wrong place.......

Post  bigblockfox468 February 16th 2010, 11:17 am

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
bigblockfox468
bigblockfox468
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Oakley Motorsports February 16th 2010, 11:30 am

Quarterstick is a very popular shifter and also the b&m pro bandit. Either one you will not go wrong.

Oakley Motorsports
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Copperhead February 16th 2010, 11:43 am

If you want the best shifter, then this is probably your best bet,.......

http://www.precisionperformance.com/kwiktop.htm

FWIW, I currently run a B&M Pro-Stick (copy of the Hurst Qtr. Stick) and it's "OK", but it's real touchy on getting the cable adjusted just right for my C-6. Sometimes you can either have one valve opened not enough or one too much.

BUT,.....with that said, I've been running my B&M for 3+ years and it's worked for me.

I going to upgrade to a precision unit when my money allows.
Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug February 16th 2010, 1:46 pm

I have like 4 or 5 B&M pro sticks.....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn February 16th 2010, 3:12 pm

I've ran the B&M Pro Stick for 3 years now and never had an issue. With both, a C6 & Glide.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  jones February 16th 2010, 3:26 pm

Copperhead wrote:If you want the best shifter, then this is probably your best bet,.......

http://www.precisionperformance.com/kwiktop.htm

FWIW, I currently run a B&M Pro-Stick (copy of the Hurst Qtr. Stick) and it's "OK", but it's real touchy on getting the cable adjusted just right for my C-6. Sometimes you can either have one valve opened not enough or one too much.

BUT,.....with that said, I've been running my B&M for 3+ years and it's worked for me.

I going to upgrade to a precision unit when my money allows.

Does the Precision shifter have more adjustability? I know that a major part of having a transmission live is having the shifter setup correctly. What and why do some shifters give problems with being setup properly?
I was going to go with a B&M Pro Ratchet but the deal fell through and real want a Precision.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Copperhead February 16th 2010, 4:43 pm

jones wrote:
Does the Precision shifter have more adjustability? I know that a major part of having a transmission live is having the shifter setup correctly. What and why do some shifters give problems with being setup properly?

First of all, according to Precision, their shifter is designed for a particular transmission like a C-6 or C-4. NOT a one-shifter-fits-all type deal. A lot of the ones you see advertised for sale in Jegs/Summit normally fit a wide variety of transmissions. Some even cover every single tranny that the big 3 (Ford, GM, & Dodge) have to offer, in a single shifter. I know B&M does this and I'm not 100% on the Hurst Qtr. Sticks.

You know that every make is not going to have the same arc/swing & detent between each gear,.....so the aftermarket makes a universal one that works (good enough) for basicly all makes. More profit for the aftermarket by designing a single unit that covers most of the bases, instead of having to design & market several different shifters.

If you go to a lot of races and take a peek inside some of the higher end machines (especially the ones that end up in the winners circle) I guarantee the Precision unit is the shifter you'll see most of the time.
Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down