BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

LiL Tweety has developed another small setback

+10
Notch 501
westsideford
TravisRice
Homespun91
72mav
Lem Evans
Greg_P
Nevs
IDT-572
bbf-falcon
14 posters

Go down

LiL Tweety has developed another small setback Empty LiL Tweety has developed another small setback

Post  bbf-falcon August 16th 2009, 6:31 pm

The radiator in Tweety has a Water fill neck in between the top of rad and the top thermostat housing. The problem is that it keeps puking water out and filling up the catch can.(real quick).The fill neck is a little lower than therm. housing, could that be the problem? It did the same thing w/old engine,just not as bad. It acts like its got lots of air in system. I've tried everything except raising the radiator. Got any suggestions?

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

LiL Tweety has developed another small setback Empty Re: LiL Tweety has developed another small setback

Post  IDT-572 August 16th 2009, 6:45 pm

You need to talk to Randy (Ky Mustang) He had the same problem.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

LiL Tweety has developed another small setback Empty Re: LiL Tweety has developed another small setback

Post  Nevs August 16th 2009, 6:51 pm

IDT-572 wrote:You need to talk to Randy (Ky Mustang) He had the same problem.

X2!
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Greg_P August 16th 2009, 7:01 pm

What is the pressure rating of the cap you're using? Seems like if it's to low, then it'll puke a lot more.

Greg
Greg_P
Greg_P

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans August 16th 2009, 7:07 pm

Not full of water or head gasket[s] .

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 16th 2009, 8:59 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Not full of water or head gasket[s] .
Lem, the thing is, I can't get it full of water. It acts like its always full of air. The cap was a 7# and I now have a 16# a buddy of mine said to try a 22# and see if it would force some air out. My next step is to maybe try to raise the rad. up a little above the therm. neck. scratch

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs August 16th 2009, 9:12 pm

Are you running an electric water pump or regular belt driven one? If it's an electric one, you should be able to purge the air that way.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav August 16th 2009, 9:51 pm

Rick,
Forgot to ask you tonight, are the head gasket tabs sticking out on the front of the engine? Maybe you have a gasket turned around? Make sure the rad fill is high as possible.
Good luck.
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 17th 2009, 4:37 pm

Electric pump, and the head gaskets were installed w/FRONT on top and in FRONT. I'am thinking the rad. is sitting to low.
This engine has been a real test os SANITY and PATIENCE,in which I'm running out of real fast. Just another day in the LIFE OF A GEARHEAD Rolling Eyes

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Homespun91 August 17th 2009, 5:01 pm

Is it possible for you to (temporarily) raise the radiator up a couple of inches & wire-tie it up while idling to see what happens?

If that cures the problem, try using a small surge/fill tank, mountd above the thermostat, ala '60s FE Fords, or, do it the hard way & move the radiator up permanently.
Homespun91
Homespun91

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice August 17th 2009, 10:00 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:The radiator in Tweety has a Water fill neck in between the top of rad and the top thermostat housing. The problem is that it keeps puking water out and filling up the catch can.(real quick).The fill neck is a little lower than therm. housing, could that be the problem? It did the same thing w/old engine,just not as bad. It acts like its got lots of air in system. I've tried everything except raising the radiator. Got any suggestions?

Did you make the switch from standard Cj heads to the A heads on this engine also? Was wondering if the extra height that the A's have over the CJ's could be making the problem a little worse now than before. Just a thought.

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford August 18th 2009, 12:32 am

On the way old forum there were water pump problems. Some turn out to be a missing backing plate on the water pump.

Not sure on your setup but if your using a engine plate you should also be using a backing plate as well..

Hope that helps 8^)
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  Notch 501 August 18th 2009, 1:15 am

i run a motor plate and no backing plate on my electric water pump 2 yrs no problems yet..........
Notch 501
Notch 501

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss August 18th 2009, 2:59 am

Here is an interesting read for you..

http://www.1320x.com/profiles/blogs/drag-racing-cooling-systems

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bcr466 August 18th 2009, 3:17 am

I had the same prob with one of those filler necks in the hose. Some years back, I read the above article,it made plenty of sense to me, so, I did away with the filler and used only the rad fill. At the time I was using a small Mopar rad that was a foot or so below the 460 t-stat housing with a Moroso WP driven by 12v.

I ran the pump while filling the sys full, shut the pump off with cap still off, then the sys would burp air out a few sec later, fill rad with pump on again, turn off pump, burp again, kept doing this about 4 times till it quit "burping" after pump was shut down a few seconds then the system was filled, with pump running the final time, cap replaced and had no more problems with it.

Get the hang of it and it only takes five minutes or so. That is what I did, it may or may not help on yours.
bcr466
bcr466

http://cracing@frontiernet.net

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 18th 2009, 8:26 pm

That above article did make alot of sense Smile I will do what it says.
Thanks Guy's

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav August 18th 2009, 10:17 pm

My 94 T-Bird had a slight burping problem after replacing the head gaskets. I just kept a eye on the level, and it went away.
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH August 18th 2009, 10:51 pm

w/elec pump --use a 16lb cap or better on the inline . cap must be for a recovery system , fill to max cold with pump running engine off. overflow hose must be in tank so it can recover coolant just like pass.cars. when hot tank fill and works just like late model road cars , so a little extra water should be in tank so system doest suck in air . give it a try, always worked for me

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon August 19th 2009, 7:44 am

Thanks Dan

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn August 19th 2009, 9:01 am

TravisRice wrote:
bbf-falcon wrote:The radiator in Tweety has a Water fill neck in between the top of rad and the top thermostat housing. The problem is that it keeps puking water out and filling up the catch can.(real quick).The fill neck is a little lower than therm. housing, could that be the problem? It did the same thing w/old engine,just not as bad. It acts like its got lots of air in system. I've tried everything except raising the radiator. Got any suggestions?

Did you make the switch from standard Cj heads to the A heads on this engine also? Was wondering if the extra height that the A's have over the CJ's could be making the problem a little worse now than before. Just a thought.

Travis

X2... What Travis said...

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down