BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics.....

+18
devildog
hillbillyerv
bruno
95lightiningguy
mico
jones
DILLIGASDAVE
Copperhead
FORDMANLCRACKEL
'65 T-BOLT
Ranch71460
billandlori
richter69
jbozzelle
res0rli9
jasonf
bbf-falcon
ThndrChkn
22 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... Empty Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics.....

Post  ThndrChkn March 5th 2010, 9:23 pm

Well, Phase 1 of my frontend swap is complete.
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... Cid__0305001616
I picked up my new frontend this afternoon. It's an '06 or '07 Crown Vic frontend. I was directed to the swap from a friend from the other forum. I was directed to a build on the FTE forum, and the swap is very straight forward. This frontend came from a Highway Patrol car, so it has the big 12" brakes on it as well. I don't know yet how much of a weight difference there is, but I do know it will lower my truck around 5", which is a good thing. The other good thing is it was "free". So the price is well worth the effort of the install. Very Happy Very Happy I'm gonna post up pics as I do the work, so you guys that may be interested can follow along. I'll keep ya'll posted.

Doug... Cool

Last edited by ThndrChkn on March 8th 2010, 4:14 pm; edited 3 times in total
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... Empty Re: Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics.....

Post  bbf-falcon March 5th 2010, 9:35 pm

Thats a cool front end Dugger, cool project, keep us updated.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... Empty Re: Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics.....

Post  jasonf March 5th 2010, 10:30 pm

It is a very popular swap for the 70's trucks. Good luck!
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 March 5th 2010, 11:44 pm

jasonf wrote:It is a very popular swap for the 70's trucks. Good luck!

Yes I know of a few that have done it and its nice, and yes it well lower it 5-6"

Keith

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle March 6th 2010, 12:16 am

I followed that build at fordtrucks.com as well. Should be good for the truck. You gonna be able to drop the back that much too?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn March 6th 2010, 12:53 am

I should be able to John. The rear is already a little lower than the front, but I plan on moving the shock mounts and ladder bar crossmember if need be to get it where it's right.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 6th 2010, 12:58 am

low in the front is good.................. Cool
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 March 6th 2010, 1:02 am

need to put that photoshop pic back up, so we can have a looksee Cool

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn March 6th 2010, 1:16 am

richter69 wrote:low in the front is good.................. Cool

I plan on having a little bit of rake to it this time, but just enough that it works as good as it works. Wink

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori March 6th 2010, 5:46 am

I'm hitchin a ride on this build!! Should look good Doug.

Cop shocks, cop tires, etc etc.... Very Happy

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn March 6th 2010, 11:05 am

Hey Bill. For now, I'm leaving the stock suspension on it to see how it does. I'm currently looking for, at minimum, aftermarket brakes. Wilwood's site says they have them, but to call them. Plus a couple other places. The Police Interceptor frontend comes with 700# springs and the stockers are 400#. I'm going to try both springs at the track ad see how much difference there will be with my app. But, no big cop tires. Very Happy Too much "drag" ya know. Gotsta run my skinnies on the front.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranch71460 March 6th 2010, 12:58 pm

Your truck's gonna look great with the rake Doug. Cool Cool
I was watching my vids from Mega Ford Weekend...aaah the memories eh!.
BTW, Google Mega Ford Weekend. Check out the pictures from 09, there is a great one of your truck!
You can contact the photographer and get a print.
Check out the great shot of the 'Chero launching as well...milliseconds before my driveshaft let go pale
Ranch71460
Ranch71460

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT March 6th 2010, 1:18 pm

It will look and function great Doug! Looks like the majority of the Vic's suspension is aluminum. So you should lose a few pounds vs stock steel components of the trucks suspension....my guess approx 75-100 pounds
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  FORDMANLCRACKEL March 6th 2010, 8:00 pm

Thats a popular swap on the Ford trucks. I priced the front end that you have pictured for my 2wd 66 truck at a salvage yard in my part of the country. $450.00 and i remove. Hard to beat free. The post at FTE is 73 pages long, but it covers the Tbird IRSrear swap also.
Lonnie
FORDMANLCRACKEL
FORDMANLCRACKEL

Back to top Go down

Post  Copperhead March 7th 2010, 8:51 am

Looks like a cool project Doug.

Looking forward to seeing your progress. Take plenty of pics.
Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE March 7th 2010, 2:25 pm

After Doug painted his truck yellow I had some fun photoshoping some new pics a few different ways. But I don't remember If I got around to posting them or not back then, damn brain fart.

copy of original pic......
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... Thunderchickenwebpic

copy of first rough edit.....
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... Thunderchickenedita
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle March 7th 2010, 3:09 pm

Now you're talkin'!!!

That's would be killer...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn March 7th 2010, 11:02 pm

Well, I got one of my favorite tools out this afternoon. The Air Chisel!!! Twisted Evil 1st, I got out the plumb bob and got the centers of the front and rearends located, and measured the wheelbase, and a few other measurements, got it all marked, and went on with the destruction:
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... 0307001505
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... 0307001502
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... 0307001510

Then, I got the IFS assembly off and out of the way:
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... 0307001634
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... 0307001634a

All I have to get off now is the crossmember. The spring mounts as well as all of the rivets are gone, but there are some small spot welds I need to get out of the way, then the crossmember's gone too:
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... 0307001925a
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... 0307001925

More to come. Stay tuned. Same bat time, same bat channel. Wink

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT March 7th 2010, 11:47 pm

Thanks Doug! Looking good with the tear down.
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  jones March 7th 2010, 11:55 pm

Looks real good! I'll have to do this some day.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  mico March 8th 2010, 12:04 am

Doug
I did this swap with my 68 F100. Its easy and straight forward. A couple of things about it is the hub to hub width is wide enough that you will need to run a deep back spaced 16" wheel. I used the steel wheels from the donner police car. Your Centerlines wont work without some creative grinding to the calipers, if at all.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Good luck, Mike

Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... Scan0001-3

mico

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn March 8th 2010, 12:19 am

Yeah Mike, I was looking at the calipers, and possible clearance issues. I'll dive into it after I get the swap itsself done and let ya know what I come up with.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  95lightiningguy March 8th 2010, 4:02 am

This is great stuff thanx for sharin. Wonder how this would work on my street truck. Cool study
95lightiningguy
95lightiningguy

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon March 8th 2010, 5:53 am

mico wrote:Doug
I did this swap with my 68 F100. Its easy and straight forward. A couple of things about it is the hub to hub width is wide enough that you will need to run a deep back spaced 16" wheel. I used the steel wheels from the donner police car. Your Centerlines wont work without some creative grinding to the calipers, if at all.
Let me know if you have any questions.
Good luck, Mike

Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... Scan0001-3

Your truck is SOOO cool,lookin like that. Smile

Doug, Your truck is gonna look really cool also. Keep after it man Very Happy

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno March 8th 2010, 8:26 am

hell yeah that is defiently a sweet looking truck Mike !!!!

are you done yet Doug ??? ha ha ...cant wait to see the finished product

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next