BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics.....

+18
devildog
hillbillyerv
bruno
95lightiningguy
mico
jones
DILLIGASDAVE
Copperhead
FORDMANLCRACKEL
'65 T-BOLT
Ranch71460
billandlori
richter69
jbozzelle
res0rli9
jasonf
bbf-falcon
ThndrChkn
22 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics.....

Post  Copperhead March 8th 2010, 12:19 pm

ThndrChkn wrote: The spring mounts as well as all of the rivets are gone, but there are some small spot welds I need to get out of the way, then the crossmember's gone too:

Try not to have too much fun removing the engine crossmember. Laughing
Mine was welded in more places than I could've ever imagined. I originally wanted to remove it in one peice, but scrapped that idea quickly.

I ended up having to torch the damn thing out.

Sad
Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... - Page 2 Empty Re: Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics.....

Post  hillbillyerv March 8th 2010, 12:41 pm

thats gonna look great with the drop, more pic`s, if it is not 2 tough i might try it on me 63 Cool
hillbillyerv
hillbillyerv
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn March 8th 2010, 4:25 pm

OK guys. I got the crossmember out. I just used my cutoff wheel, and cut along the edge of the frame. Nearest I can tell, (if my scale's correct) there's about 270# of old frontend here:
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... - Page 2 0308001259
And if everything's right with my scale, the Crown Vic frontend is very close to the same weight. The truck is now ready some fab work, and starting to do some test fitting.
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... - Page 2 0308001241

Now, I need some opinions. I was going to use my buddy's plasma cutter and cut these pieces out of the frame.
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... - Page 2 0308001308
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... - Page 2 0308001309
But from the looks of things, I may leave them in there, as it looks like they can be used structurally to aid in supporting the frame where the new frontend will be mounted. Of course the drivers' side will need to be modified a little to finish boxing in the frame.

What do you think?

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori March 8th 2010, 5:07 pm

I would say if you going to box the frame anyway, the bracing is redundant. But for a few lbs, not a big deal IMO. Looks like it will be a PITA to get out of there!!

You sure don't mess around with a project do ya???? Shocked Get right in there and Git-R-Done!!! Very Happy Very Happy

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf March 8th 2010, 10:32 pm

It looks like you have the rivets out so are those pieces welded in there or just wedged in? If they are not welded I would take the grinder with a 4" cutoff wheel and cut a piece out the middle. That should allow some slack to get it out.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  devildog March 9th 2010, 2:51 pm

Hey Doug it is cool seeing ya keep the project going......good luck..D

devildog

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor March 9th 2010, 5:16 pm

very cool project!

that looks (to me at least) somewhat like a MII front end.... good luck and glad to be following along Wink
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn March 9th 2010, 6:21 pm

It is very similar to a Mustang II excpt for the struts instead of shocks. I'm glad you guys are following along. Just make sure your seat belts are latched and secure, 'cause it may get bumpy if I don't hear some good news on brakes. As Mike (mico) said in his earlier post, my Centerline front runners won't currently fit this app, but I'm working on the brake situation as we speak. If that fails, I have plan B already sitting on the back burner, and it'll be very cool when finished as well. I'll keep y'all posted. Wink

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf March 9th 2010, 6:23 pm

Could you use some front wheels designed for a newer mustang seems how 12" is almost small now a days?
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn March 9th 2010, 6:34 pm

From what I'm finding, it's not the rotor size, it's the calipers. And so far, I've not been able to locate something that interchanges that will allow enough clearance on the calipers. Like I said though, Plan B, which was actually originally Plan A, is still on the back burner at an easy simmer. It should be mostly done in the next few weeks regardless. And it'll be very cool.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  jones March 9th 2010, 10:51 pm

Check this Lightning for sale on my local forum. They want to much for the truck but I'd be interested in it. They say it's a Pinto front suspesion. Thought you might like to see the setup.

Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... - Page 2 Parts_4
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... - Page 2 Parts_3
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... - Page 2 Lightening_7
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... - Page 2 Lightening

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Northwest outlaw March 19th 2010, 11:33 pm

Looking good Doug Smile well im back to my hole. All set in here the mustang is on stands and im working on get out that way.
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

Post  OldRedFord March 20th 2010, 12:26 am

ThndrChkn wrote:Well, I got one of my favorite tools out this afternoon. The Air Chisel!!! Twisted Evil 1st, I got out the plumb bob and got the centers of the front and rearends located, and measured the wheelbase, and a few other measurements, got it all marked, and went on with the destruction:
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... - Page 2 0307001505
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... - Page 2 0307001502
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... - Page 2 0307001510

Then, I got the IFS assembly off and out of the way:
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... - Page 2 0307001634
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... - Page 2 0307001634a

All I have to get off now is the crossmember. The spring mounts as well as all of the rivets are gone, but there are some small spot welds I need to get out of the way, then the crossmember's gone too:
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... - Page 2 0307001925a
Started working on the truck this weekend... Phase II, with "More" pics..... - Page 2 0307001925

More to come. Stay tuned. Same bat time, same bat channel. Wink

Doug... Cool

Im supposing you had to get the truck all leveled up to do that?

I have considered the CV swap on my 72 but with little experience with this stuff, and no available help Its a back burner thing. That and I dont want to lower my truck yet.
OldRedFord
OldRedFord

Back to top Go down

Post  bcr466 March 20th 2010, 1:28 am

Have you weighed each setup to check difference in weight?
bcr466
bcr466

http://cracing@frontiernet.net

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn March 20th 2010, 2:54 am

bcr466 wrote:Have you weighed each setup to check difference in weight?

Yes, I've checked all of it. And there's absolutely no weight savings whatsoever by doing this swap. I've gotten a little bit done on the truck, but haven't had time to get the pics uploaded yet. But you'll likey, I'm quite sure. Yes, I'm teasing. Twisted Evil I'll try and get the pics up by Monday or Tuesday.

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2