BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dupli-Color Problems

3 posters

Go down

Dupli-Color Problems Empty Dupli-Color Problems

Post  billandlori March 12th 2010, 2:56 am

Having problems with the Dupli-Color color match paint on my daughter's DD. It is a 94 Sable.

I used all DC products - high build primer, primer, wax & grease remover, then the color match paint. I did the passenger side a couple of months ago then I ran out of warm weather and couldn't paint the driver's side. All the body work and prep was done the same on both sides. When I tried to paint the driver's side today the paint instantly had a fine grid appear - looks like its reacting with the primer. What am I doing wrong???

On a side note, that Sable has bad rust in the strangest places........the one hood strut pushed through the firewall today. Evil or Very Mad

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Dupli-Color Problems Empty Re: Dupli-Color Problems

Post  69F100 March 12th 2010, 7:17 am

How long was the primer on was it from when you painted the other part of the car if it was then it would be the primer left open to the weather to long
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori March 12th 2010, 9:10 am

69F100 wrote:How long was the primer on was it from when you painted the other part of the car if it was then it would be the primer left open to the weather to long

That must be it....it has been in primer for about 4 months. What can be done? Can I just sand it back down and re-prime it?

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  70bbftorino March 12th 2010, 12:51 pm

i dont think it would be that it sat too long...........for several projects we have primed in phases all different amounts of times sitting in primer; then just scuff padded them and painted. i would guess more that in the time it was sitting something foriegn got in the primer (using wd40, silicone spray anything around it in primer, tire shine even) or the wax/grease remover may not be getting entirely wiped off and cleaned? i'd wax and grease remover it again and scuff it down and put one more layer of primer........wait then paint it again-- i dont think its the long time frame with the primer, my torino sat for 9 months in high build and the paint went on great after scuffing it down-
JMO
70bbftorino
70bbftorino

https://s935.photobucket.com/albums/ad191/70bbftorino/

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori March 12th 2010, 12:55 pm

70bbftorino wrote:i dont think it would be that it sat too long...........for several projects we have primed in phases all different amounts of times sitting in primer; then just scuff padded them and painted. i would guess more that in the time it was sitting something foriegn got in the primer (using wd40, silicone spray anything around it in primer, tire shine even) or the wax/grease remover may not be getting entirely wiped off and cleaned? i'd wax and grease remover it again and scuff it down and put one more layer of primer........wait then paint it again-- i dont think its the long time frame with the primer, my torino sat for 9 months in high build and the paint went on great after scuffing it down-
JMO

You might be onto something there....I didn't let the wax and grease remover dry completely. I'll try again today. Supposed to start raining later on then last for a few days.

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  70bbftorino March 12th 2010, 9:24 pm

yah that stuff is as nasty as anything else if left on thier, its like a chemical film. i always use 2 t shirt cotton rags..........one damp, then one to wipe it right after. like Mr. Miagi......... Wax (and grease remover) ON, Wax (and grease remover) OFF. shouldnt let that sit on the primer too long, its pretty mild but it can leave some residue in the primer that will make nothing work to paint it. oh another thing i thought of about your issue is that if you go past the flash time on the paint after mixing ( dont know if you did, but if you did)...........usually like 30-45 mins you will spray it on over the other layers and it will look great. then as it dries it shrinks up funny like alligator skin. i did that on my own car too Rolling Eyes when i had about 2 ounces left in the gun and the whole car looked great, then i worked back in trying to use up my extra material...........looked awesome, then about 1 hour later all the things i sprayed with that last amount.......alligatored. as i sprayed i knew i should toss it, but didnt listen to that voice- so heed the directions on your recoat window time frame because it not only mixes the reducer and paint together, but it actually changess chemical properties after a certain amount of time-

happy painting....i actually just bought a sweet-ass detail gun today to do my lil items--
70bbftorino
70bbftorino

https://s935.photobucket.com/albums/ad191/70bbftorino/

Back to top Go down

Post  billandlori March 12th 2010, 10:17 pm

Good Ol Mr. Miagi!!!! I went after it with a dry paper towel buy I should have waited longer. I have done the On - Off thing with thinner but it flashes so fast it isn't a big factor I guess. The W&G remover flashes pretty slow.

I was using the rattle can paint. I was carefull to use all the products from the same brand trying to avoid this!!

Thanks for the input everyone!! Very Happy

Bill
billandlori
billandlori

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down