BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question for carb gurus

+2
bbf-falcon
droppedf100
6 posters

Go down

Question for carb gurus Empty Question for carb gurus

Post  droppedf100 April 16th 2010, 8:41 pm

Im pretty good with jetting, power valves, squirters, air screws, float adj. and my truck runs good with no bogs or hesitation. My question is what causes a car to turn over without firing. It has a Holley 850DP #9380 and all MSD ignition components. It idles and drives great but it wont start up unless you hold the throttle halfway open. My dads truck has alot of the same parts and starts as soon as you touch the key. Not the biggest deal in the world but it be nice if it would fire up without touching the gas or at least quicker.
droppedf100
droppedf100

Back to top Go down

Question for carb gurus Empty Re: Question for carb gurus

Post  bbf-falcon April 16th 2010, 11:44 pm

After the engine sits for awhile,check and see if the squirters are working when you work the accelerator. I'm not a carb guru,just a guess the fuel pump is leaking off.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  maverick April 17th 2010, 10:41 am

I'd check to see if the floats are a little too high. After shutdown, a warm engine can heat the fuel in the bowls, causing expansion which can result in a slight flooding of the manifold. A flooded engine needs more air to fire off, so opening the throttle is required. Just one possibility.
maverick
maverick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain April 18th 2010, 10:53 am

I agree with the flooding idea and another area to check is to make sure you don't have a fuel filter that's mounted close to or on top of the engine. This gives you more fuel to boil and or simply expand from engine heat and that forces fuel past the needles, over fills the bowls and floods the engine.

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  wvmudder May 7th 2010, 4:04 am

I never thought about fuel boiling in filters and such that are mounted over the engine. Makes me wonder about fuel logs. I have not used a log yet but I will need one on the engine i'm putting together now.

What would be an alternative to a fuel log for feeding a 4500 carb? With the type of mud bogging(not mud racing) I do, heat usually is a problem, thats one reason we mount radiators and oil coolers in the beds.
wvmudder
wvmudder

Back to top Go down

Post  DaveMcLain May 7th 2010, 8:36 am

I'd say that the best plan is to use the SMALLEST hose consistent with the amount of power that the engine is making. Said hose is generally much smaller than most people think would work and this will reduce the amount of fuel that can boil in a hot engine compartment. Split your fuel supply to go to each bowl away from the engine so that very little fuel is above the hot engine when it's running and I think it'll be better.

Somewhere on the internet I found a series of photos of Dick Trickle's old ASA car, race ready and sitting on the starting grid. The under hood shot showed a small fuel line that ran directly to the carburetor and didn't fool around. Back then they were just starting on that whole 9:1 compression engine deal and those run VERY hot with a ton of EGT. Maybe Dick was onto something.....

DaveMcLain

Back to top Go down

Post  BIGDOG466 May 7th 2010, 3:06 pm

Can you rotate the engine then turn the ign. on? If you can give it three pumps, wait 5 sec hit the starter then hit the ign. I had a similar issue with E-85 hard to start when cold. Started doing this and it starts right up. Think camshaft has allot of overlap and the starter not fast enough Question for carb gurus Icon_idea all I know it works.
BIGDOG466
BIGDOG466

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down