BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

IDT Premier or Ultra Oiling problems?

+15
strokedmyford
c.evans
LETHAL_DOSE
windsor
Lem Evans
chuck stevens
the Coug
jasonf
Nevs
DanH
bosshoss
Maddmattmustangs
BOSS 429
dfree383
royscobra
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

IDT Premier or Ultra Oiling problems? Empty IDT Premier or Ultra Oiling problems?

Post  royscobra April 21st 2010, 9:12 am

Iam having a engine built and was told that he had to do some oiling mods. I havent heard of any oiling issues with these blocks .Any ideal what these may be?
Thanks

royscobra

Back to top Go down

IDT Premier or Ultra Oiling problems? Empty Re: IDT Premier or Ultra Oiling problems?

Post  dfree383 April 21st 2010, 10:08 am

Chevy Guy doing the Building????
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

IDT Premier or Ultra Oiling problems? Empty Re: IDT Premier or Ultra Oiling problems?

Post  BOSS 429 April 21st 2010, 10:27 am

dfree383 wrote:Chevy Guy doing the Building????

x2?
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

IDT Premier or Ultra Oiling problems? Empty No Engine Systems in Georga I didnt get to talk to Ted as he left a message

Post  royscobra April 21st 2010, 10:41 am

royscobra

Back to top Go down

Post  Maddmattmustangs April 21st 2010, 11:03 am

must be....
Maddmattmustangs
Maddmattmustangs

Back to top Go down

Post  bosshoss April 21st 2010, 12:14 pm

The only mods on those blocks would involve the size and location of the lifter gallery restrictor. Otherwise they are a great piece off the shelf.

dkp
bosshoss
bosshoss
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH April 21st 2010, 2:51 pm

halt them mods . could end up with more problems . your paying for the problem if the shop screws up, then there is the possible legal battle . find out what the shop plans are and come back here with them .

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs April 21st 2010, 6:27 pm

X3!!!!!
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf April 21st 2010, 9:09 pm

I would be shutting him down right there and tell him to quit watching Horsepower tv as his source of Ford tech.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug April 21st 2010, 9:13 pm

yes shut him down ASAP like in 2 days ago...... or he could screw it up big time.....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  chuck stevens April 21st 2010, 9:35 pm

The 3-4 page instruction sheet that comes with each new block, which YOU should have, explains in detail everything you need to know about the block oiling circuits. I suggest YOU read it before letting him do anything to that block.

chuck stevens

http://E-MAIL= stevensracingent@aol.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs April 21st 2010, 9:47 pm

chuck stevens wrote:The 3-4 page instruction sheet that comes with each new block, which YOU should have, explains in detail everything you need to know about the block oiling circuits. I suggest YOU read it before letting him do anything to that block.

Can I get an AMEN! Idea
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans April 21st 2010, 9:56 pm

If mechanical lifters and roller rocker arms are to be installed the oil supply to the lifter gallies can be restricted. In the front of the block there are three oil gallies that are tapped for a 3/8” NPT plug (supplied). The upper oil galley on the right side of the block has also been internally tapped for a ¼” NPT pipe plug. By drilling a minimum of a .060 hole in a ¼” NPT pipe plug and installing the plug in the ¼” tapped hole, oil flow will be restricted to the lifter galley.
NOTE #1: Not recommended when bronze lifter bushings are installed
NOTE #2: Oil pressure taken from upper rear of block may show lower pressure due to the restrictor. Normal oil pressure can be obtained if taken from the front of the

FRONT FACE OF BLOCK 3/8” NPT PIPE PLUGS THAT ARE INSTALLED ON THE RIGHT SIDE (FROM REAR FACE) AT 2 LOCATIONS:
We recommend that the pipe plug that is inserted into the priority oil hole be ground from the rear side with a total material removal of .125” to .150” so as to NOT restrict the oil flow to the main bearing.
block.

copy/paste

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  windsor April 22nd 2010, 3:22 am

He said Engine Systems is the builder. Haven't I heard he works quite well with the BBF? ....with an IDT block I'm not so sure, however.
windsor
windsor

Back to top Go down

IDT Premier or Ultra Oiling problems? Empty IDT Premier or Ultra Oiling problems?

Post  royscobra April 22nd 2010, 10:10 am

Lem Evans wrote:If mechanical lifters and roller rocker arms are to be installed the oil supply to the lifter gallies can be restricted. In the front of the block there are three oil gallies that are tapped for a 3/8” NPT plug (supplied). The upper oil galley on the right side of the block has also been internally tapped for a ¼” NPT pipe plug. By drilling a minimum of a .060 hole in a ¼” NPT pipe plug and installing the plug in the ¼” tapped hole, oil flow will be restricted to the lifter galley.
NOTE #1: Not recommended when bronze lifter bushings are installed
NOTE #2: Oil pressure taken from upper rear of block may show lower pressure due to the restrictor. Normal oil pressure can be obtained if taken from the front of the

FRONT FACE OF BLOCK 3/8” NPT PIPE PLUGS THAT ARE INSTALLED ON THE RIGHT SIDE (FROM REAR FACE) AT 2 LOCATIONS:
We recommend that the pipe plug that is inserted into the priority oil hole be ground from the rear side with a total material removal of .125” to .150” so as to NOT restrict the oil flow to the main bearing.
block.

Thanks for the info Lem.

I was unaware of the different mods you mentioned. This will help me understand what is going on.
Thanks to everyone how chimed in. I was just wanting to be informed on possible problems.

copy/paste
[code][left]

royscobra

Back to top Go down

Post  royscobra April 22nd 2010, 1:45 pm

Thanks ever one for the help. Lem answered my question.

royscobra

Back to top Go down

Post  LETHAL_DOSE September 26th 2011, 10:29 am

I know this is an old post, but I have a premier engine block and started devloping upper end oiling issues. I did not originally build this engine, but after a couple three rebuilds, I noticed the oil pressure started doing some weird things. I was running a dry sump and when the oil got warmed up it actually increased oil pressure(which is backwards from what I have always seen). After about 8-10 passes, we chewed a pushrod and broke the hard tip in valve. It was late in the year, so I slapped a new valve in and tried to finish the year. 5 passes later it did it again. Same cylinder, other valve(#5 cylinder); this gets me thinking. The way the oil system works is that would be the last set of lifters to get oil. As I tear it down, I noticed as I went up the passenger side from back to front pulling lifters, the closer to the front I got the less oil there was. By the time I got to the front 4 lifters, there was no oil that came out with them. Now I know why I was breaking valve tips, no oil to the front passenger top end. I get checking things over very carefully and found that the plugs that was supplied with the engine could not be machined off .120-.150", it poked a hole in it at about .050 -.060 material removal. The original engine builder ground off that plug, but only removed .015-.020" of material. By measuring the plug and the hole depth, it looks as if the oil gallery coming from the supply to the priority & lifters was closed down to near 5/16" or a little less from approx 1/2". To fix this I used a tapered plug machined it down from both sides so the plug is only about 1/4-5/16" thick. Now when I screw it is flush and does not restrict this orifice at all.

I noticed the oil pressure is rock steady all the time now, and I have oil on the upper end. This engine does have bronze lifter bushings, which I replaced after this issue, making sure they are at .0015 clearance as recommended by the lifter manfacturer.

My main question is when turning the pump with a drill, in order for oil to come out of the pushrods, the valves need to have started to open about .150-.250; is this normal?

Thanks

Mike
LETHAL_DOSE
LETHAL_DOSE

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 26th 2011, 10:44 am

Are the lifter bushings being used to restrict the oil to the lifters or still restricter at the end of the oil galliery?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  LETHAL_DOSE September 26th 2011, 10:47 am

The lifter bushings are used to restrict the oiling.
LETHAL_DOSE
LETHAL_DOSE

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans September 26th 2011, 11:10 am

My main question is when turning the pump with a drill, in order for oil to come out of the pushrods, the valves need to have started to open about .150-.250; is this normal?

Thanks

Mike[/quote]

Mike,

What you are seeing is that the intersection angle of the pushrod to rocker arm cup, is fairly great. The "sides" of the rocker arm cup has the oil hole in the pushrod blocked off. It is not until you get the valve open somewhere around the .150 to .250" lift, that your pushrod and the rocker arm cup are lining up with each other at an intersection angle of approximately 90*, and thus allowing the oil to flow on through the rocker arm cup and out.

So yes, I'd say this might be normal, but I believe that if you installed longer pushrods, you would find that the rocker arms will start oiling earlier. The possible problem with longer pushrods is that they might screw up your roller tip pattern on the valve stem.

With the engine secured, and the spark plugs out of it, use a torque wrench and see how much torque it takes to turn the assembled engine over by hand, with your present pushrod lenght and then again with some longer pushrods.

Hope this helps,
Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  LETHAL_DOSE September 26th 2011, 12:46 pm

That sounds logical to me. I was concentrating more on the valve tip pattern than the cup-pushrod contact angle. I will check that out.

Even with .025 lash, there does not seem to be any oil coming out of the pushrods ends. There is a small hole in the lifter bushings, and I was thinking that they were not getting enough oil to the pushrod until the hole in the bushing lined up with the hole in the lifter? I have made 1 pass since putting it back together, and there is still a "chirp" on the big end after a pull. Not near as bad as before, but man has it got me baffled. It sounds like metal rubbing making a chirp.
LETHAL_DOSE
LETHAL_DOSE

Back to top Go down

Post  strokedmyford September 26th 2011, 8:59 pm

Do the lifters have a small notch cut in them from the oil band to the small oil hole? I know some push rod manufacturers recomend this. I use this mod and have plenty of oil up top with the same block and lifters bushed no restrictor in the front.

Last edited by strokedmyford on September 26th 2011, 9:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
strokedmyford
strokedmyford

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 26th 2011, 9:33 pm

i have never ran the lifter bushings or thought of any reason i'd need to.your oiling trouble could be too much restriction with the bushings.the oil to the top has to make it into the lifter by the bore it runs in.i think the bushing idea came up when folks put the lifters in wrong and flood the topend.you can cut a small notch like ^^he said and get all you want up top.depends on where the hole is in your bushings tho.JMO!
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane September 26th 2011, 9:42 pm

LETHAL_DOSE wrote:...I was thinking that they were not getting enough oil to the pushrod until the hole in the bushing lined up with the hole in the lifter?
Yes, this is also a possiblity (in addition to Charlie's thoughts). Tight lifter bores with small oil feed(s), etc.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 September 26th 2011, 9:48 pm

strokedmyford wrote:Do the lifters have a small notch cut in them from the oil band to the small oil hole? I know some push rod manufacturers recomend this. I use this mod and have plenty of oil up top with the same block and lifters bushed no restrictor in the front.

WE HAVE A WINNER /\

this happens when certain cams are used,and hole is too far away to receve presser all the time,if bushings are used sometimes even those wind up having the oil hole drilled a little too far away from lifter oil hole,THUS LIFTER MUST BE UP to receve oil flow

-rich
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next