BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TnT at BG Saturday Aug 22nd Results

+2
lghting94
D. Sea
6 posters

Go down

TnT at BG Saturday Aug 22nd Results Empty TnT at BG Saturday Aug 22nd Results

Post  D. Sea August 24th 2009, 11:42 am

What a great weekend!

Before we get started, let’s back track a bit. A few weekends ago, Chuck went to MP Dragway to get some runs in on his new combo. 492CI with Blake’s TFS Streets and Randy’s rotating assembly. It has a TON of compression and sounds SWEET! Anyway, Chuck had a BAD oil leak. So Thursday night Chuck and Eddie (His Dad) removed the engine and Friday afternoon I found the oil leak. It was the rear seal on the oil pan. It must have popped out of the groove while they were pinning down the oil pan. Anyway, we got that fixed and then Friday night was a THRASH to get it all back in the car.

Saturday morning we get Chuck’s car fired and no leaks!! WOO HOO!!! We load up and head towards BG with My car, Chuck’s car, Chuck’s folks and Tracy. We meet up at BBRP in Bowling Green KY with KY, Becca, Blake, Red, Way Fast Whitey, Boo Boo and Scott (Only got to talk to Scott once).

The main reason for ME to go testing this weekend was to get some ¼ mile data on my car for the upcoming NMRA Open Comp races in Ohio and Ky. I’m also testing to see how the car reacts at different timing setting on my 7AL3.

There were a lot of street cars there however the track worked pretty good considering… There was a BAD ASS Dodge truck there that ran 9.49 at 141mph! He’s nearly as quick as my car! That was IMPRESSIVE!

OK, back on track. All my runs are on a .500 Pro Tree. Went through tech across the scales and I now weight 3215# with 7 gallons of fuel, all my gear and I’m in the car. 3025# without me in the car. Both of us need to lose some weight LOL!

My first run: 34 degrees total timing, shifting at 6900 and leaving off the brake at 3900 with my button adjusted mid to upper for quicker release.

Temp: 69F
BP (Barometric Pressure: 30.30
Humidity: 57%

R/T: -.031
60’ 1.390
330; 3.880
1/8 5.987 at 116.97mph
1000’ 7.820
¼ 9.386 at 143.41mph

A pretty clean run and the car left STRAIGHT!! No more body roll, YEAH! My Anti-roll bar wasn’t working correctly at the BBF Bash and the body roll was pretty bad. However I did go RED!

Second run: 34 degrees –2 degrees in the 7AL3 box for a total of 32 degrees. Moved transbrake button down 4 or 5 turns. No other changes.

Temp: 65F
BP: 30.34
Humidity: 65%

So the car should pick up just because of the weather conditions changing so much in one hour. But I’m trying to slow it down by taking out timing. I need to plug this into my Crewchief Pro to see what the car would have run with no changes, probably not much.

R/T: -.036
60’ 1.376
330; 3.855
1/8 5.957 at 117.21 mph
1000’ 7.787
¼ 9.351 at 143.44mph

Short time picked up a little however the –2 degrees timing didn’t seem to change the ET much or the mph for better or worse however the weather conditions are MORE favorable. Went RED AGAIN!

Third and final run: 34 degrees –4 degrees for a total of –30 degrees timing. Transbrake button bottomed out for maximum travel. I feel like I was just a little late on the light, I need to do some more testing on the tree to make sure.

Temp: 64F
BP: 30.35
Humidity: 68%

R/T: .039
60’ 1.390
330; 3.871
1/8 5.977 at 117.05 mph
1000’ 7.809
¼ 9.377 at 143.06 mph

This final run was against Chuck and he said “I may not beat you to the ¼ mile line but I’m gonna tree you” Well he did with a .024 light

I would have liked to make one more run with –6 degrees timing to get some more data but they closed the lanes shortly after my final run. I feel like if we had that mineshaft air like at BG last year my car would have been in the 9.20’s and maybe a 5.88 to 5.90 in the 1/8 but I still have some more tuning. With this good air, maybe a little more jet would have helped as well.

Chuck made Three passes and he’s a HAPPY camper! No water in the oil, no oil leaks (Well maybe a small one but not confirmed yet) and it leaves HARD!!! We jetted it up from 90’s square to 91’s in the front and 92’s in the back for his final run against me and it ran a 10.009 SOOO close to that 9 second time slip he wants SOOO bad! He also crossed the scales with his car and it weighed in at 3490 # or maybe it was 3495# I don’t remember, Chuck ill have to verify that. It’s turning a LOT of RPM through the ¼ and IMO could use a higher gear. He’s running 4.56 gears now with a 29.5” tire. I think a 4.30 gear would work better.

All in all we had a GREAT day of racing and I look forward to the next time we all get together.

Thanks for the good times my Tenn-Tucky Krew!
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

TnT at BG Saturday Aug 22nd Results Empty Re: TnT at BG Saturday Aug 22nd Results

Post  lghting94 August 24th 2009, 1:09 pm

Sorry I didnt make it down there I got to Munfordville on the way down and it started raining so I stopped at a friends house figured you guys got rained out the way it looked. I guess I was WRONG.
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

TnT at BG Saturday Aug 22nd Results Empty Re: TnT at BG Saturday Aug 22nd Results

Post  D. Sea August 24th 2009, 3:03 pm

lghting94 wrote:Sorry I didnt make it down there I got to Munfordville on the way down and it started raining so I stopped at a friends house figured you guys got rained out the way it looked. I guess I was WRONG.

The weather was OUTSTANDING! Some GOOD racing weather. You shold have called one of us...
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 August 24th 2009, 4:33 pm

I probably would've if I had your numbers. I know youve posted em before but I didnt have anything with me to look them up.
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  scottke August 24th 2009, 11:37 pm

D. Sea wrote:What a great weekend!

Before we get started, let’s back track a bit. A few weekends ago, Chuck went to MP Dragway to get some runs in on his new combo. 492CI with Blake’s TFS Streets and Randy’s rotating assembly. It has a TON of compression and sounds SWEET! Anyway, Chuck had a BAD oil leak. So Thursday night Chuck and Eddie (His Dad) removed the engine and Friday afternoon I found the oil leak. It was the rear seal on the oil pan. It must have popped out of the groove while they were pinning down the oil pan. Anyway, we got that fixed and then Friday night was a THRASH to get it all back in the car.

Saturday morning we get Chuck’s car fired and no leaks!! WOO HOO!!! We load up and head towards BG with My car, Chuck’s car, Chuck’s folks and Tracy. We meet up at BBRP in Bowling Green KY with KY, Becca, Blake, Red, Way Fast Whitey, Boo Boo and Scott (Only got to talk to Scott once).

The main reason for ME to go testing this weekend was to get some ¼ mile data on my car for the upcoming NMRA Open Comp races in Ohio and Ky. I’m also testing to see how the car reacts at different timing setting on my 7AL3.

There were a lot of street cars there however the track worked pretty good considering… There was a BAD ASS Dodge truck there that ran 9.49 at 141mph! He’s nearly as quick as my car! That was IMPRESSIVE!

OK, back on track. All my runs are on a .500 Pro Tree. Went through tech across the scales and I now weight 3215# with 7 gallons of fuel, all my gear and I’m in the car. 3025# without me in the car. Both of us need to lose some weight LOL!

My first run: 34 degrees total timing, shifting at 6900 and leaving off the brake at 3900 with my button adjusted mid to upper for quicker release.

Temp: 69F
BP (Barometric Pressure: 30.30
Humidity: 57%

R/T: -.031
60’ 1.390
330; 3.880
1/8 5.987 at 116.97mph
1000’ 7.820
¼ 9.386 at 143.41mph

A pretty clean run and the car left STRAIGHT!! No more body roll, YEAH! My Anti-roll bar wasn’t working correctly at the BBF Bash and the body roll was pretty bad. However I did go RED!

Second run: 34 degrees –2 degrees in the 7AL3 box for a total of 32 degrees. Moved transbrake button down 4 or 5 turns. No other changes.

Temp: 65F
BP: 30.34
Humidity: 65%

So the car should pick up just because of the weather conditions changing so much in one hour. But I’m trying to slow it down by taking out timing. I need to plug this into my Crewchief Pro to see what the car would have run with no changes, probably not much.

R/T: -.036
60’ 1.376
330; 3.855
1/8 5.957 at 117.21 mph
1000’ 7.787
¼ 9.351 at 143.44mph

Short time picked up a little however the –2 degrees timing didn’t seem to change the ET much or the mph for better or worse however the weather conditions are MORE favorable. Went RED AGAIN!

Third and final run: 34 degrees –4 degrees for a total of –30 degrees timing. Transbrake button bottomed out for maximum travel. I feel like I was just a little late on the light, I need to do some more testing on the tree to make sure.

Temp: 64F
BP: 30.35
Humidity: 68%

R/T: .039
60’ 1.390
330; 3.871
1/8 5.977 at 117.05 mph
1000’ 7.809
¼ 9.377 at 143.06 mph

This final run was against Chuck and he said “I may not beat you to the ¼ mile line but I’m gonna tree you” Well he did with a .024 light

I would have liked to make one more run with –6 degrees timing to get some more data but they closed the lanes shortly after my final run. I feel like if we had that mineshaft air like at BG last year my car would have been in the 9.20’s and maybe a 5.88 to 5.90 in the 1/8 but I still have some more tuning. With this good air, maybe a little more jet would have helped as well.

Chuck made Three passes and he’s a HAPPY camper! No water in the oil, no oil leaks (Well maybe a small one but not confirmed yet) and it leaves HARD!!! We jetted it up from 90’s square to 91’s in the front and 92’s in the back for his final run against me and it ran a 10.009 SOOO close to that 9 second time slip he wants SOOO bad! He also crossed the scales with his car and it weighed in at 3490 # or maybe it was 3495# I don’t remember, Chuck ill have to verify that. It’s turning a LOT of RPM through the ¼ and IMO could use a higher gear. He’s running 4.56 gears now with a 29.5” tire. I think a 4.30 gear would work better.

All in all we had a GREAT day of racing and I look forward to the next time we all get together.

Thanks for the good times my Tenn-Tucky Krew!
Sorry I didn't get to talk more. I was pretty busy tuning on the car. I think I made 3 jet changes. Each time it got better. Can't wait till NMRA. We need to pit together then for sure. I saw a couple of your passes, looked good!
scottke
scottke

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford August 25th 2009, 12:03 am

When you made jet changes did you change the air bleeds any?

I've been messing with the air bleeds.. Don't have to pull the bowls off.. HP series Dommie..

Thanks for the Data.. Hope next year I can provide the same. Good Stuff!
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE August 25th 2009, 8:19 am

Damon, excellent example of recording/logging testing results. You listed the important pass/track stats, plus listed changes made per pass, plus gave a driver's "seat of the pants" observations of what was going on during the passes......perfect!

So what ended up being the anti-roll's problem?
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea August 25th 2009, 10:01 am

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:Damon, excellent example of recording/logging testing results. You listed the important pass/track stats, plus listed changes made per pass, plus gave a driver's "seat of the pants" observations of what was going on during the passes......perfect!

Dave,

I'm so anal about some of this stuff that I sometimes wonder if I suffer from some OCD tendencies Razz

The anti roll bar had a bolt hole that was sloppy, thus the anti-roll bar wasn't really working at all. Instead of the bars staying parallel I could move one, lets say 25 degrees and the other wouldn't move. That's how bad it was. So Bill helped me fix it after the BBF Bash. We drilled out the holes and went to the next size up bolt PLUS added a metal support for the aluminum bars. It won't flex or move now!!

Works MUCH better now, thanks a MILLION Bill Cool

Scott,

We difinitely need to pit together at the World Finals afro
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  scottke August 25th 2009, 10:27 pm

westsideford wrote:When you made jet changes did you change the air bleeds any?

I've been messing with the air bleeds.. Don't have to pull the bowls off.. HP series Dommie..

Thanks for the Data.. Hope next year I can provide the same. Good Stuff!

I didn't mess with the air bleeds, mainly because I don't have any. haha
I have a new QF 1050. running 88 front and back right now. I'm pretty new to carb tuning, and I have never messed with airbleeds before.
scottke
scottke

Back to top Go down

Post  Old blue Racin Team August 26th 2009, 8:43 am

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:Damon, excellent example of recording/logging testing results. You listed the important pass/track stats, plus listed changes made per pass, plus gave a driver's "seat of the pants" observations of what was going on during the passes......perfect!

X2
Old blue Racin Team
Old blue Racin Team

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down