BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel problems solved (NOT,THERE BACK AGAIN)

+21
racnrick
Lem Evans
514Fox87
72mav
Lonewolf1970
jbozzelle
patfromjersey
knrclark
IDT-572
69F100
richter69
KY JELLY
56Tbird
the Coug
Nevs
TravisRice
cool40
Mark Miller
bb429power
bbf-falcon
25 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Fuel problems solved (NOT,THERE BACK AGAIN) Empty Fuel problems solved (NOT,THERE BACK AGAIN)

Post  bbf-falcon July 17th 2010, 12:12 am

Tweety finally made it down the track w/o starving the fuel bowls. Tore sent me a fuel pump and I took all the shit out of the trunk and mounted it underneath behind the housing. Motor feels like it's making plenty of power but it's blowing thru the converter badd. Only went a 6.03 w/1.34 short time. Feels kinda like a mini bike w/centrifical clutch trying to catch up w/speed of engine. The shift light was on 100' before the finish and it had a 6800 chip in it. W/4.30 gears and 31.5 tires. Temperature was 95* and really humid. Gotta get a converter in this thing before I can do much tuning Rolling Eyes I think it might have a little potential when all the ducks are in a row.

Last edited by bbf-falcon on September 18th 2010, 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Fuel problems solved (NOT,THERE BACK AGAIN) Empty Re: Fuel problems solved (NOT,THERE BACK AGAIN)

Post  bb429power July 17th 2010, 12:18 am

Well one less problem to worry about, I'm glad you got it sorted out. What converter is in that? And one thing I think about when it comes to tire diameter, every pass the diameter is smaller. So the ratio is changed slightly but the tires can get an inch smaller for sure. Just something to think about if you have had those tires on there for a lot of passes, not saying that's why you hit the shift light when you do.
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Fuel problems solved (NOT,THERE BACK AGAIN) Empty Re: Fuel problems solved (NOT,THERE BACK AGAIN)

Post  bbf-falcon July 17th 2010, 12:25 am

8" converter,needs a 9 I think. Tires only have about 10 passes on them.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Mark Miller July 17th 2010, 12:48 am

Rick,

That's still not bad for the first full pass should be a 9.34 to a 9.46 in the 1/4 mile.Hope to see you next weekend sometime,Later Mark.

Mark Miller

Back to top Go down

Post  138 July 17th 2010, 1:12 am

getting closer... she's just stretching her wings Tweety will fly soon... real soon Twisted Evil

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 July 17th 2010, 1:12 am

get a good converter in it and hang on! the converter can mean a lot of 60" and et. Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice July 17th 2010, 7:29 am

Glad to see you turned the corner of BadLuck and Carnage. I never really had any luck at all with an 8" converter behind a BBF. In my own opinion they are designed for high winding small blocks, or they should be. You got a the horse in there now, not some pony. Laughing Keep at it and don't let it get you down. Does that car have a glide in it or a C-4 ???

Oh and by the way, I really like the new avatar. afro

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs July 17th 2010, 7:59 am

OK, I'll be the odd man out. There's nothing wrong with an 8" conveter if it's right. We ran an 8" Chance bolt together behind our 557" A head combo(4.625"boreX4.1500" stroke)2350#, and went a best of 7.84@178. It would run 7.90's in 95* heat. But like I said the converter has to be right. Took us awhile to hit on the right combo, but it can be done. Having said that, I'm sure today Marty would recommend a 9", given the improvements in technology. But that's the converter we ran from 1997-2003.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug July 17th 2010, 8:10 am

Rick when I built my engine I had 3 different converter companies say and 8 inch will never hold matter a fact they said the engine will possibly blow it up, they suggested a 9 inch min....

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird July 17th 2010, 8:17 am

Good deal Rick ,glad you finally got her down the track. My 514 got rid of all my 8" stuff. It broke both of mine. Best thing I did was go to this 9" spragless deal. king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird July 17th 2010, 8:21 am

I just called Rick and he said he'd call me right back....he was in the check out line at Wal-Mart???WTF, I didn't even know they sold convertors there ? affraid lol! king
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY July 17th 2010, 8:32 am

I run a 8" also . I broke it last year at the nmra race , but it was 10 years old Smile . I sent it back down to Ptc and they said they would just repair back to what it was and go sprag less , they updated it and its working great .
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 17th 2010, 9:34 am

The S98 Toyoya core unit is the hot ticket now.
I bet ky's car would be even more of a rocket with one after looking at his rpm graph in the other thread. Glad you guys are finally getting the bugs out.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 July 17th 2010, 11:05 am

Rick some of them fuel problems can be a pain in the rear.Rick aka 557 mazda has had some this year finally got them fixed then ran out of gear he put his 4.30 back in and if the rain holds off we will see how they work tonight.I thinking some where around 5.3s in the 1/8 mile.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice July 17th 2010, 11:44 am

Let me add a little something also. The cars weight has ALOT to do with drivig through the converter also. That being said, Randy Moore and Nevs both had pretty light cars they were / are doing it with. I think just about annything 3000 + is considered heavy now a day's.

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs July 17th 2010, 1:11 pm

TravisRice wrote:Let me add a little something also. The cars weight has ALOT to do with drivig through the converter also. That being said, Randy Moore and Nevs both had pretty light cars they were / are doing it with. I think just about annything 3000 + is considered heavy now a day's.

Travis

Good point Travis and no argument from me. 3000#+ is heavy! I might add, our Chance converter had less than 5% slippage as well.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 July 17th 2010, 2:22 pm

richter69 wrote:The S98 Toyoya core unit is the hot ticket now.
I bet ky's car would be even more of a rocket with one after looking at his rpm graph in the other thread. Glad you guys are finally getting the bugs out.

I have the same gut feeling too about the metric 9 inch in his car that's what's in mine. But as I told Ky , I would be almost afraid to touch it the way it is running............ Laughing If he did change I wouldn't let the 8 inch get away.
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon July 17th 2010, 2:29 pm

I was going to order a new one from Lenny in the spring,But he said to try this one first and give him some feedback before we got too carried away. I talked to a race buddy this morning and he said he thought he had a 9" and a 8" . I will try the 9" first.
Travis,It's a glide. And thanks on the Avatar,Sooz took that shot last night.
Dan,The lady at the Walmart checkout said she could have me a new ProComp converter by the first of the month. Said they would send it on the next ship out. Rolling Eyes Laughing

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 July 17th 2010, 2:39 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:I was going to order a new one from Lenny in the spring,But he said to try this one first and give him some feedback before we got too carried away. I talked to a race buddy this morning and he said he thought he had a 9" and a 8" . I will try the 9" first.
Travis,It's a glide. And thanks on the Avatar,Sooz took that shot last night.
Dan,The lady at the Walmart checkout said she could have me a new ProComp converter by the first of the month. Said they would send it on the next ship out. Rolling Eyes Laughing

They stock them in the toy department............. Laughing

I like the avatar too looks cool as hell............... Cool I wish I could get a shot of my car straight on like that.

You have it going your way now, won't be long now you will have Tweety dialed in. (HeRo Worthy Times) lol
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Fuel problems solved (NOT,THERE BACK AGAIN) Empty Congrats Rick

Post  knrclark July 17th 2010, 9:19 pm

Glad to see some luck for you. Maybe it will be my turn next. Same problem as you I think.

Kerry
knrclark
knrclark
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon July 17th 2010, 9:29 pm

I guess when we're not hErO statis,bad luck is always lurking around the bend. Sometimes longer than normal. hang in there Kerry,it's coming your way Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  patfromjersey July 17th 2010, 9:46 pm

I'm so glad you got that fuel problem straightened out Rick. Cool I think you were headed in the right direction, when my Magnafuel Regulator made you destroy your rear differential at the Bash. Laughing When I installed it back on my car when you were done with it, I heard it say to me, "please Pat, can I stay on Lil Tweety just one more time? You're too slow for my mojo." Laughing Laughing Laughing
patfromjersey
patfromjersey
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 July 17th 2010, 9:48 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:I guess when we're not hErO statis,bad luck is always lurking around the bend. Sometimes longer than normal. hang in there Kerry,it's coming your way Smile

Its spelled HeRo............ Wink
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon July 17th 2010, 11:40 pm

richter69 wrote:
bbf-falcon wrote:I guess when we're not hErO statis,bad luck is always lurking around the bend. Sometimes longer than normal. hang in there Kerry,it's coming your way Smile

Its spelled HeRo............ Wink

One thing YOU need to remember,your NOT my hErO Smile

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon July 17th 2010, 11:42 pm

patfromjersey wrote:I'm so glad you got that fuel problem straightened out Rick. Cool I think you were headed in the right direction, when my Magnafuel Regulator made you destroy your rear differential at the Bash. Laughing When I installed it back on my car when you were done with it, I heard it say to me, "please Pat, can I stay on Lil Tweety just one more time? You're too slow for my mojo." Laughing Laughing Laughing

Pat,your a funny guy Very Happy Thanks again my good friend Wink

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next