BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel problems solved (NOT,THERE BACK AGAIN)

+21
racnrick
Lem Evans
514Fox87
72mav
Lonewolf1970
jbozzelle
patfromjersey
knrclark
IDT-572
69F100
richter69
KY JELLY
56Tbird
the Coug
Nevs
TravisRice
cool40
Mark Miller
bb429power
bbf-falcon
25 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Fuel problems solved (NOT,THERE BACK AGAIN) - Page 3 Empty Re: Fuel problems solved (NOT,THERE BACK AGAIN)

Post  res0rli9 September 18th 2010, 10:08 pm

BigDave65 wrote:
Nevs wrote:Pump is too small for the engine you are feeding IMO. Vent is too small as well. I'd mount the pump to the cell as Richter suggested if it's possible as well. I run -12 from pump to regulator on mine. For what it's worth, I'm no fan of the Jegs or Summit regulators either.... Idea

I'm with Nevs on this. I would be trying a different regulator. Pump size may be lacking a bit but should do OK.

(Just noticed this thread started in July. You probably have it fixed by now. LOL)

This happened again today today

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Fuel problems solved (NOT,THERE BACK AGAIN) - Page 3 Empty Re: Fuel problems solved (NOT,THERE BACK AGAIN)

Post  jbozzelle September 18th 2010, 10:41 pm

I like to run a hard line from the pump to the cell. I'd also run the vent as the same size as the pump supply line, Volume out equals volume in, IMO!

Are the fuel lines new? Where are you reading the pressure at? Is the pump clogged from the fuel cell foam? Is the supply hose collpasing from the pump suction? If so the pump might be cavitating.

Any chance the needle and seats are bad/clogged? Does the carb have some screened fittings on it?

What's the voltage like at idle? launch? Do you run an alternator? Is the voltage dropping on the run and causing the pump to work less?

Just throwing ideas out there for you. If it were me and all looks OK I'd deadhead it and go from there. That pump may make pressure but might not throw the volume needed...

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 19th 2010, 5:18 am

I appreciate all the answers guy's but here's the Big mystery,w/all these senarios ,too small vent,too small return,etc. Why has it not happened for the last two 1/4 mi. races and why has the same thing happened to 3 different pumps,reg,and gauges. And there is no foam in the tank as of after the first bout w/problem.
Thx to all.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY September 19th 2010, 8:49 am

do you have a good solid clean ground wire on the pump ?
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 19th 2010, 9:13 am

Yes to the Frame. Guy's,I'm not much of a electronic's guy but,could the wire going to the pump be to small and the pump be pulling down?

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt September 19th 2010, 9:50 am

Do you have a rubber line from the pump to the carb? and how long? I'm assuming your pump is mounted close to the tank.
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY September 19th 2010, 10:02 am

bbf-falcon wrote:Yes to the Frame. Guy's,I'm not much of a electronic's guy but,could the wire going to the pump be to small and the pump be pulling down?

yes a wiring problem (paint not sanded off under a ground , small wire , etc) can burn the motor up slowley.
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 19th 2010, 10:40 am

big pump needs a relay as well..........one big enough to handle the job.

You can do simple volt drops across the connections to verify their integrity.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 19th 2010, 10:52 am

richter69 wrote:big pump needs a relay as well..........one big enough to handle the job.

There ya go Jon,We are thinking on the same lines now Smile
Yea,Randy when I did the REmounting of the pump under the car I ground the paint off the chassis and attached the grd. wire.

Curt,the line to the pump and to the reg. is #10 steel braided w/teflon lining.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 September 19th 2010, 11:12 am

bbf-falcon wrote:
richter69 wrote:big pump needs a relay as well..........one big enough to handle the job.

There ya go Jon,We are thinking on the same lines now Smile
Yea,Randy when I did the REmounting of the pump under the car I ground the paint off the chassis and attached the grd. wire.

#10 line is big enough,IMO.you'll probably find the wire too small has killed 3 pumps for you.use a relay,if your not,and i'd run a heavy wire from the battery to it and use the original power wire to switch the relay.what size wire do you have on it now?
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Curt September 19th 2010, 11:13 am

[quote="bbf-falcon"]
richter69 wrote:

I was hoping for the easy fix on the imploded fuel line. I guess that rules that out. Smile
Curt
Curt

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird September 19th 2010, 11:23 am

Rick ,you need to put this in the tech section so all the Tech Guru's can solve it for you....Just a few racers in here,and what do they know??? lol! king bom
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 September 19th 2010, 11:26 am

I would be looking at a low voltage issue either battery getting weak or to small wire to the pump causing voltage drop problem as well as not enough amps to the pump. Also if the battery is close I would run the ground to it rather than the frame/chassis.
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 19th 2010, 12:07 pm

Wes called me a little while ago,I think he might have hit on something. We will see.
Thx to All Wink

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 19th 2010, 1:52 pm

Put some anti-sieze or something similar on the ground bolt to the frame to keep it from rusting. Definitely need a relay with a pump too.

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3