BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fuel problems solved (NOT,THERE BACK AGAIN)

+21
racnrick
Lem Evans
514Fox87
72mav
Lonewolf1970
jbozzelle
patfromjersey
knrclark
IDT-572
69F100
richter69
KY JELLY
56Tbird
the Coug
Nevs
TravisRice
cool40
Mark Miller
bb429power
bbf-falcon
25 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Fuel problems solved (NOT,THERE BACK AGAIN) - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel problems solved (NOT,THERE BACK AGAIN)

Post  richter69 July 18th 2010, 12:15 am

bbf-falcon wrote:
richter69 wrote:
bbf-falcon wrote:I guess when we're not hErO statis,bad luck is always lurking around the bend. Sometimes longer than normal. hang in there Kerry,it's coming your way Smile

Its spelled HeRo............ Wink

One thing YOU need to remember,your NOT my hErO Smile

Thats a relief, I was worried there for a
minute....
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Fuel problems solved (NOT,THERE BACK AGAIN) - Page 2 Empty Re: Fuel problems solved (NOT,THERE BACK AGAIN)

Post  bbf-falcon September 18th 2010, 11:04 am

Went to the Track last nite to do some tuning.Wanted to make a Basic Pass at first to get my barings. Unloaded the car and went thru the pits to warm up engine/drive train.Glanced at Fuel Pressure and it was fluc. between #3 to#6 on gauge. Thought it might be low on fuel, so I fill the tank and it was still only at #7.(i've been having to adjust it to #9 so it will have enough fuel in the bowls to last out the run).
Well ,the first pass it sucked the fuel bowls dry at about 300' and the pump # was at #0. I pulled off the first return and the fuel press. came back to #9. This is the 3rd pump, and 2nd reg.and the same problems. What is happening here?

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  jbozzelle September 18th 2010, 11:07 am

What pump and regulator is it? What kind of fuel line is it also? Is the fuel cell vented real good?

jbozzelle

Back to top Go down

Post  Lonewolf1970 September 18th 2010, 11:10 am

Rick you didn't have that problem at Columbus did you?
Lonewolf1970
Lonewolf1970

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav September 18th 2010, 11:54 am

God, not again! X's 2 on the venting. Heck you have all new lines/etc with correct sizes?
Its got to be something simple...
Good luck brother.
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 18th 2010, 12:04 pm

describe the whole fuel system.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 18th 2010, 1:03 pm

250 Holley(Dominator)
Mounted under the car(below cell)
#6 line vent(Open and free)
#10 line to pump.(deleted filter)
#10 to reg.(Jeg's biggest they had)w/buy pass
#8 back to tank
My next deal is to put a gauge after pump to see how much pressure is at the pump before it gets regulated.
I really don't think it is the pump after all three pumps have acted the same. Evil or Very Mad

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 18th 2010, 1:18 pm

Is the pump behind the cell, and how much line connecting it? Return to the tank is too small, also is the foam still inthe cell? Where does the return dump the fuel? Pump is margial size, but should work with the right plumbing. Also is there a return on the pump?
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 18th 2010, 1:29 pm

richter69 wrote:Is the pump behind the cell, and how much line connecting it? Return to the tank is too small, also is the foam still inthe cell? Where does the return dump the fuel? Pump is margial size, but should work with the right plumbing. Also is there a return on the pump?

The pump is between the Cell and the rearend housing,16" of line to pump,and from what i've been told you need the return from reg.to always be smaller than the feed line(which mine is).I've even been told to maybe restrict the return line to a #6 line.It return's into the top of the cell.There is a place at the pump for a return to the tank ,but is plugged off(not enough places on the cell to run it. Rolling Eyes

I'm also thinking there is a piece of lining from braided line restricting flow(sometimes). Hell,I don't know,I think I've thought of all the senario's.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  514Fox87 September 18th 2010, 1:45 pm

The problem I had was the return line spring (in the pump) was to loose. It only had 17psi of main line pressure and several carb. builders have told me they want 22-24 psi main line. Because of the G's on launch the fuel it returning to the tank instead of going to the carb. Path of least resistance. If it were me I would plug the return on the regulator and put a stiffer spring in the pump and run that return instead.
514Fox87
514Fox87

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 18th 2010, 2:27 pm

Is a #6 vent big enough? Don't sound big to me.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 18th 2010, 3:12 pm

Pump needs to be behind the cell, and coupled right to it would be best, if not make the inlet hose -12. You should run some sort of filter prepump, the screen type are best. The reg return needs to be bigger than the supply. The pump size is marginal, but putting a bigger one on the way you have it set up will be no better if not worse. Vent size needs to be a -8.

Not sure what part number regulator you have, that and I've seen guys have issues with those pumps.............

with a bypass style reg you want the pump bypass capped like you have it.

No cell foam, make sure the return is not aerating the fuel going into the pump...........tall skinny cells work best, keep it full.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  racnrick September 18th 2010, 4:15 pm

bbf-falcon wrote:It return's into the top of the cell.

Where at on top of cell, towards the front or rear?

racnrick

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power September 18th 2010, 4:30 pm

Where does it suck the gas from? Maybe at take off it goes back and doesn't suck it up as much, unless it has foam in the fuel cell. Just thinking...
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird September 18th 2010, 5:42 pm

Take the foam out and put that bitch on alky with a bigger pump. You'll see some killer results!!
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  138 September 18th 2010, 5:50 pm

56Tbird wrote:Take the foam out and put that bitch on alky with a bigger pump. You'll see some killer results!!

Idea

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs September 18th 2010, 6:02 pm

Pump is too small for the engine you are feeding IMO. Vent is too small as well. I'd mount the pump to the cell as Richter suggested if it's possible as well. I run -12 from pump to regulator on mine. For what it's worth, I'm no fan of the Jegs or Summit regulators either.... Idea
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 18th 2010, 6:21 pm

"Vent is too small as well."
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
-8 or -10 needed?

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs September 18th 2010, 7:05 pm

Lem Evans wrote:"Vent is too small as well."
<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<
-8 or -10 needed?

I use the -8 with a tip over valve. Of course, I have a front mounted cell with the pump mounted directly to the cell.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power September 18th 2010, 7:24 pm

I don't want to stick my willy where it don't belong and say stupid answers. But WHEN exactly are the fuel problems occurring? Just at launch? and what are the symptoms that tell you its a fuel problem?

I'm just trying to get an understanding of your problem. Smile
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 18th 2010, 7:43 pm

cruising through the pits.................

Post some pics of the fuel system, there seem to be a lot of small issues going on.....pump may already be hammered from cavitation.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power September 18th 2010, 7:50 pm

So is it maybe getting TOO much fuel in the pits because the revs aren't getting up and sucking in more fuel?

I don't have my Ford hat on,so I'm not thinking to my best abilities. Rolling Eyes
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  racnrick September 18th 2010, 9:08 pm

bb429power wrote:I don't want to stick my willy where it don't belong and say stupid answers. But WHEN exactly are the fuel problems occurring? Just at launch? and what are the symptoms that tell you its a fuel problem?

I'm just trying to get an understanding of your problem. Smile

V V V V V V V V V V V

bbf-falcon wrote:Went to the Track last nite to do some tuning.Wanted to make a Basic Pass at first to get my barings. Unloaded the car and went thru the pits to warm up engine/drive train.Glanced at Fuel Pressure and it was fluc. between #3 to#6 on gauge. Thought it might be low on fuel, so I fill the tank and it was still only at #7.(i've been having to adjust it to #9 so it will have enough fuel in the bowls to last out the run).
Well ,the first pass it sucked the fuel bowls dry at about 300' and the pump # was at #0. I pulled off the first return and the fuel press. came back to #9. This is the 3rd pump, and 2nd reg.and the same problems. What is happening here?

racnrick

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power September 18th 2010, 9:19 pm

Okay, thanks. Are the floats adjusted? maybe the accelerator pump isn't working right? I'm throwing ideas out there to let the experts run with them and figure out what it could be.

If its an electric pump, maybe the relay, fuse, or ground isn't working properly. If you have rubber hoses maybe at takeoff one of them collapses causing a cut off of fuel. Idea
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 September 18th 2010, 9:57 pm

Nevs wrote:Pump is too small for the engine you are feeding IMO. Vent is too small as well. I'd mount the pump to the cell as Richter suggested if it's possible as well. I run -12 from pump to regulator on mine. For what it's worth, I'm no fan of the Jegs or Summit regulators either.... Idea

I'm with Nevs on this. I would be trying a different regulator. Pump size may be lacking a bit but should do OK.

(Just noticed this thread started in July. You probably have it fixed by now. LOL)
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next