BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Last race of the season was today

2 posters

Go down

Last race of the season was today Empty Last race of the season was today

Post  schmitty August 15th 2010, 7:40 pm

It's a local hometown deal about 12 miles south of me. Had everything sorted out on the truck pretty much before I left and got to sit and BS with the other racers for a while. Very poor turnout today, maybe 15 trucks total in 4 classes, luckily several ran two classes. It is a timed race and is done by a person with a stopwatch. LOL There usually is no "table rules racing" here, just a lot of fun. Lined up to run SS and could not get ahold of the track at all, pedalled it and hit it hard again still no luck. It was a free pass being as how we had to break the track. Came back around and visited with my neighbor/crew cheif, and decided to take off in 2nd gear and see what happens. Worked a lot better and just finished out of placing to 3 really good trucks. Came back around and waited for the next class to get ready. Mod was next and I was up to break the track again. They had watered again, not good. There was water everywhere and the lanes looked like an oil slick. Pulled up and hit a 2nd gear launch again, and couldn't get the engine over 6k RPM on a greasy track. Pulled out the end and dropped the shifter to 1st and locked up the whole works. Tranny was fragged and smoking bad. Hit it back into 2 and got it on the trailer. Guess I have all winter to fix it all up again for next year. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Last race of the season was today Empty Re: Last race of the season was today

Post  Nevs August 15th 2010, 8:32 pm

Like I said in my text Rob, that SUCKS! You're just making too much power! Laughing Wink
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty August 16th 2010, 9:41 am

I don't know about making too much power, but definately going to do some more work on cooling the tranny. I put a huge cooler on it this year hoping to get rid of the problem, but it's still there. I am seriously considering going with the old demo car method of a cooler, copper tubing and ice. Hope to take care of a few other bugs this winter also. I have been very lucky with rear end, its just a stock piece that I welded wtih a stick welder. I am surprised that the pinion is still in it. I have a spool, just need a good case to put it all in. Then comes the age old ??? what gears to try. I am also going to do something with the rear suspension, either ladder bars or some kind of traction control device. I have been looking at a lot of different trucks to see what they are doing, and every one seems different, from just a tube under the axle to a forward part of the frame, ladder bars, a device on top of the axle with some type of coilover, 4 links, to full on monster truck style 4 links. They all seem to work on the trucks they are on, but they are all different than mine. Cool
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down