BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Electrolytic machining polished chambers

+6
richter69
bb429power
whatbumper
DFI429
TeflonDon
jones
10 posters

Go down

Electrolytic machining polished chambers Empty Electrolytic machining polished chambers

Post  jones September 27th 2010, 1:54 pm

What are your thoughts of a mirror smooth surface finish combustion chamber? Would it be a better idea to just have the chamber coated? It would seem that even though the chamber is polished it would only last for so long.

http://www.extrudehone.com/ecm.html

jones

Back to top Go down

Electrolytic machining polished chambers Empty Re: Electrolytic machining polished chambers

Post  TeflonDon September 27th 2010, 4:38 pm

Take my opinion for what it is ............. no hErO here. I would opt for the coating, but I am a little prejudiced. Laughing

TeflonDon

Back to top Go down

Electrolytic machining polished chambers Empty Re: Electrolytic machining polished chambers

Post  DFI429 September 27th 2010, 4:41 pm

TeflonDon wrote:...I would opt for the coating...

I see what you did there Suspect

DFI429
DFI429

http://home.comcast.net/~dfi429/

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper September 27th 2010, 5:01 pm

I want the chambers smooth but I don't think "mirror smooth". I would think that it would take away from the efficiency of the chamber itself. I’m sure some of the experts on here will enlighten us all. Very Happy

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  jones September 27th 2010, 5:40 pm

You would think that a coating would survive detonation a little better.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  bb429power September 27th 2010, 6:12 pm

DFI429 wrote:
TeflonDon wrote:...I would opt for the coating...

I see what you did there Suspect

Teflon coating cheers
Here's what it cost's for your parts to be done, look at the animation in the upper left corner.
http://www.gethoned.com/parts.php?get_price=yourparts&show=automotive
bb429power
bb429power

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 27th 2010, 6:42 pm

my chambers got the Double D rub down............... Wink
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  138 September 27th 2010, 6:42 pm

does that even work for a street car and the carbon they tend to build up? I would think it wouldn't do sheet, maybe for a racing engine Suspect

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 27th 2010, 7:57 pm

The problem with extrude honing is if your manifold is bad design or head is bad design all it does is make it bigger and still the same bad design just now larger, and smoother.....

JMHO

Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 September 27th 2010, 8:09 pm

IMO not worth the cost in a motor like yours, money would be much better spent elsewhere
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jones September 27th 2010, 8:17 pm

dfree383 wrote:IMO not worth the cost in a motor like yours, money would be much better spent elsewhere

HAHAHA I wasn't even talking about my engine! (I knew someone would assume that! LOL)

I was reading an artical about pulling heat away from the chamber as fast as possiable to keep it from melting in high temp, turbocharged, endurance race engines. By trying to keep as much heat in the chamber and out the exhaust. Rather than allowing it to soak into the cylinder head.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  jones September 27th 2010, 8:29 pm

TeflonDon wrote:Take my opinion for what it is ............. no hErO here. I would opt for the coating, but I am a little prejudiced. Laughing

Do you really coat parts? I always assumed your screen name was just that!

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 27th 2010, 8:50 pm

jones wrote:
TeflonDon wrote:Take my opinion for what it is ............. no hErO here. I would opt for the coating, but I am a little prejudiced. Laughing

Do you really coat parts? I always assumed your screen name was just that!

Laughing Laughing Embarassed lol! lol!

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper September 27th 2010, 9:46 pm

If your really wanting to keep the cylinders cool just do what I do and run ice water through the engine. I see water temps in the 90's at the end of the run with air intake temps still in the 60's.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  jones September 27th 2010, 11:00 pm

whatbumper wrote:If your really wanting to keep the cylinders cool just do what I do and run ice water through the engine. I see water temps in the 90's at the end of the run with air intake temps still in the 60's.

Thats the thing, with an offroad, road race engines ice won't work.

jones

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down