BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Yes , this was a great find, thanks

+3
bbf-falcon
duff429
vegasparky
7 posters

Go down

Yes ,  this was a great find, thanks Empty Yes , this was a great find, thanks

Post  vegasparky September 28th 2010, 1:04 am

I just found alot of history and spec's that said starting Jan, 1st 1966 a 427 R code 2-4 barrel engine can be special ordered......It is the real McCoy , they only made eight in 1967. It looks there was just a few R codes made in the Mercury line in 1966. You brother is proff, as i have had people tell me they didn't put them in the 66 Mercury line. Cannot argue with the R in the vin number....Thanks T

vegasparky

http://webshots.com/user/vegasparky

Back to top Go down

Yes ,  this was a great find, thanks Empty Re: Yes , this was a great find, thanks

Post  duff429 September 28th 2010, 2:12 am

congrats. any pictures?
duff429
duff429

Back to top Go down

Yes ,  this was a great find, thanks Empty Re: Yes , this was a great find, thanks

Post  bbf-falcon September 28th 2010, 10:42 am

My brothers 66 had a 427 w/single 4.He said he did'nt even know it until he jacked it up to change the oil and seen the cross bolt main bolts Shocked Cool

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT September 28th 2010, 9:00 pm

congrats on your find!
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Yes ,  this was a great find, thanks Empty How many 1966 R codes in the Mercury line are out therel.

Post  vegasparky September 29th 2010, 2:05 am

My reseach so far shows me there was not an R code optional in 1966. 289, 390,410 and 428. I also found where starting Jan. 1st.1966, the 427 2-4barrle R code would be available as a Special Order only. I see where in 1967 there was 8 Cylones built with the R code option, which was an option that year. Being the only way to get an R code in 66 was by Special Order only, im thinking there is not very many out there.
Im asking if anyone knows for sure that they have seen a factory install 427 with R code on vin, in 1966. please pass on the info to me as Marty Reports only go back to 1967. Thanks in advance Ted

vegasparky

Back to top Go down

Post  LivermoreDave September 29th 2010, 5:52 am

I'm not certain of the VIN stamping on the Mercury's, the Fairlanes had the VIN stamped on the radiator support and on each, or at least the left fender splash pan. The fender(s) must be removed to locate the VIN in those areas. Check the transmission case. My Fairlane GT had the VIN on the transmission case! There should be several ways to verify the "R" model car, like brake shoe width, radiator engineering number (on side tank), and possibly rear axle ratio and axle spline.

Dave.

LivermoreDave

Back to top Go down

Post  Wayne Pearce September 29th 2010, 8:35 am

Yeah, they DID exist! My friend, George special ordered a 427 2X4 barrel, with a four speed when he got out of the Marine Corp in 1966. I can't remember if it was a Cyclone, or a Caliente - but I DO remember that the Mercury dealer screwed him on the deal! He ordered (and paid for) the car in May, 1966 - and then the waiting started, he waited, and waited, and waited some more. Finally in late August the dealer called and said the car was coming in that week - talk about acting like a kid on Christmas morning! A couple days later, the dealer called to tell him that there had been a mix up, and that his car wasn't coming - EVER! It was now too late to order the car (tooling up for 67). They gave him his money back, and opolgized for the "mistake", but this isn't where the story ends. The very next week end, George went to West Hampton Dragway on Long Island, and spotted a brand new yellow 427 Comet, just like the one he ordered. He struck up a conversation with the owner to get his impressions of the car. The guy told him that he hadn't run it yet, as he had just gotten it from the same dealer George ordered his from! He said that he saw it as it was being delivered just a few days earlier, fell in love with it, and told the dealer that he just had to have it! So the dealer sold it right out from under George for a better price! Can't you just feel the love?!?!?

Wayne (SAWDOFF) Pearce

Wayne Pearce

Back to top Go down

Yes ,  this was a great find, thanks Empty I think i would need to own me a dealership after that......

Post  vegasparky September 29th 2010, 12:04 pm

Wayne, Thanks for the comment. I worked for ford and mercury dealerships from 67 to 72, went through all the service classes they had back then in San Pedro, Calif. I cannot imagine a dealer doing this, it is a cargnal rule and the paper trail could of cost that dealer there dealership as the customers name is on the build sheets as the car was built.....some dealers have no pride is guess. What a disappointment .
Anyway, im hoping to hear more interesting stories, but im guessing only a handful of R code Merc's were produced in 66 and i may have the only Caliente R code that year. Will be interested to get some more comments. Thank you for your reply. Ted

vegasparky

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 September 30th 2010, 12:49 am

it says they had here to, and show some.

http://www.stangtv.com/forum/vintage-video-comets-fairlanes-drag-racing-6652.html

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down