BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Comment on which direct clutches and steels to hold up to heat better appreciated.

4 posters

Go down

Comment on which direct clutches and steels to hold up to heat better appreciated. Empty Comment on which direct clutches and steels to hold up to heat better appreciated.

Post  Ed501 November 10th 2010, 3:23 am

C4 going together again and since the high clutches were showing sign of heat i thought i would ask What a Face What a Face . They look a little darker but still had some of the writing on them so wouldnt think they were slipping ,just heat related from drag and hot oil temps. Would alto red and kolene steels hold up better to heat then the stock borgwarners? I figured if i get the drum to last then the high clutches would go next. Front borgs clutches same as new. I dont like the idea of holes in the steels , some kolenes dont have them. Going with 20 more psi around 200psi should help. Kevlar intermediate band and i think i am going to put a .030 hole in the direct drum below the lip seal to help with fluid pushing from centrifical force.?? I know it aint no GLIDE haha but any other advice will be taken serious. Wink

Last edited by Ed501 on November 10th 2010, 3:26 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling poor)

Ed501

Back to top Go down

Comment on which direct clutches and steels to hold up to heat better appreciated. Empty Re: Comment on which direct clutches and steels to hold up to heat better appreciated.

Post  richter69 November 10th 2010, 9:29 am

stock friction and steel in the forward is fine, I liked Atlo reds and Kolenes (with the black junk scotchbrited off) in the direct.............but even with 7 in mine after 4 low 9 sec passes they were starting to burn.

Just toss the c4 back together and save your money for a glide....you'll be putting one in some day............ Wink
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Comment on which direct clutches and steels to hold up to heat better appreciated. Empty Re: Comment on which direct clutches and steels to hold up to heat better appreciated.

Post  lghting94 November 10th 2010, 11:08 am

Jon why are you taking the coating off the kolene steels why wouldnt you just use regular steels if your taking the kolene coating off?
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 10th 2010, 2:10 pm

lghting94 wrote:Jon why are you taking the coating off the kolene steels why wouldnt you just use regular steels if your taking the kolene coating off?

That black junk comes off anyway, the heat treat is still there as it penetrates the steel.

There is not any advantage other than if you get the stock steel hot from slippage the thing will warp and take out the clearance then you got trouble. The kolene deals with it much better in this aspect.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  lghting94 November 10th 2010, 2:17 pm

Ok I thought the coating was the kolene thank you for clarifying
lghting94
lghting94

Back to top Go down

Post  colormebad December 2nd 2010, 10:38 pm

I have noticed like tci installs 7 thin clutches & thin steels...If one gets hot and warp' they all warp cause they are soo thin..I run 6+6 borg warner standard thickness clutches & steels or the reds...Have BW's in mine right now...Big cooler & fan makes a world of differance...

colormebad

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down