BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Alcohol???

5 posters

Go down

Alcohol??? Empty Alcohol???

Post  jason November 15th 2010, 11:36 pm

is running alcohol N/A or boosted worth doing ? What's the pros and cons ?
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

Alcohol??? Empty Re: Alcohol???

Post  bbf-falcon November 15th 2010, 11:44 pm

I've never ran Alky so i'm not a expert by any means,but if I ever went to it,it would be for consistency in changing weather conditions. I'm not interested in the ET factor,just for going more rounds.The cons for me would be changing the oil often because of moisture, w/current price of oil.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 15th 2010, 11:52 pm

i like the cool temp's with it. Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jason November 16th 2010, 1:21 am

bbf-falcon wrote:I've never ran Alky so i'm not a expert by any means,but if I ever went to it,it would be for consistency in changing weather conditions. I'm not interested in the ET factor,just for going more rounds.The cons for me would be changing the oil often because of moisture, w/current price of oil.
Yeah but I pay $400 for a barrel of 112 and I do an oil change before each race anyway.
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 November 16th 2010, 1:28 am

you'll pay 150+ for drum of alky and use a lot more of it than gas.when the tune is good and you use the lean out cable,injected only,the oil change wont be an issue. Smile
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jason November 16th 2010, 3:14 am

cool40 wrote:you'll pay 150+ for drum of alky and use a lot more of it than gas.when the tune is good and you use the lean out cable,injected only,the oil change wont be an issue. Smile
What about maintenance , winter storage, reaction with aluminum , like fuel cells and fittings?
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

Alcohol??? Empty Alky Haulic

Post  Wheelie58 November 16th 2010, 5:15 am

jason wrote:
cool40 wrote:you'll pay 150+ for drum of alky and use a lot more of it than gas.when the tune is good and you use the lean out cable,injected only,the oil change wont be an issue. Smile
What about maintenance , winter storage, reaction with aluminum , like fuel cells and fittings?

One of the keys to lower maintenance is to use a good top lube, like Manhattan Oil Power Plus. I have several fittings in my system that are well over 15 years old, all with alky. My Moon tank is at least 20 years old. Using the additive, you can get by with leaving alky in the system for a few weeks between races. Do not try that with straight clear alky.
During winter storage, you drain out the valves, lines and tank and spray a little of your favorite WD40 type of product inside everything.
Injection is my vote for a good methanol experience.
Properly set up, you will enjoy good warm-ups, 30 to 45 passes between oil changes and consistent performance. Bad set ups will dilute the oil rapidly and use (waste) a lot of fuel. This is normally determined by one simple adjustment on the barrel valve for the idle fuel mixture.
There are many more methanol tips and tricks to good performance and low racing expense. The ones that I explained are just the basics to answer the initial question about maintenance.
Closing thought.....My car with twin Flying Toilets qualified in the last 9.50 index race with a 9.502 in attempt #1. The next day, corrected for weather by using timing...not mixture...I ran another 9.502. Several hours later, with another minor timing correction for weather, it clicked off a 9.500.
I have not changed the main jet or any other system calibration for almost 2 years.
I hope this helps. If you ever want to talk in more detail about alky and injection, just give me a call at 678-458-2033.
Thanks,

Keith
www.KeithFulpMotorsports.com
BBF Danny Bee Motor Plates...Timing Pointers....and more

Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  jason November 16th 2010, 6:14 am

Thanks alot Keith , that pute alittle more at ease about alky, when I tear into my engine I'll give ya a call.
jason
jason

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper November 16th 2010, 9:37 am

if I could run alky I would on my turbo app just to get rid of a lot of extra stuff (intercooler,piping, etc)on the car. I have friends that run alky on their efi turbo systems that get 45 passes on an oil change and it looks new. On a boosted app you have the advantage of a cooler charge and wide tuning window. Now as far as your earlier questions about blow thru along with the alky question.....Now you are getting into the territory of higher priced carbs because of the extra fuel requirements but it might be cheaper for some than efi still I don't know.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down