BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Does a high volume oil pump necessitate a high volume oilpan?

4 posters

Go down

Does a high volume oil pump necessitate a high volume oilpan? Empty Does a high volume oil pump necessitate a high volume oilpan?

Post  torinocobra429scj December 22nd 2010, 9:14 am

I already have the factory 6 quart CJ oil pan with the baffles and will be having my 429CJ turned into a 521 stroker in the next couple of months...Would an aftermarket 8 quart Milodon pan be an extra $300 insurance policy or is it really even needed? I'd hate to ruin a $3500-$4000 motor because I didn't buy the 8 qt oil pan!!! Just tryin to add up all the extra costs for this build I keep coming up with Smile
torinocobra429scj
torinocobra429scj

Back to top Go down

Does a high volume oil pump necessitate a high volume oilpan? Empty Re: Does a high volume oil pump necessitate a high volume oilpan?

Post  dfree383 December 22nd 2010, 9:27 am

You do not need a HV pump, the regular CJ pump / Pan is totaly sufficient for anything on the street. Use proper clearances and good modern mid weight synthetic oil.

A windage tray is a good investment, Canton make a nice one thets decenty priced.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Does a high volume oil pump necessitate a high volume oilpan? Empty What does the windage tray do?

Post  torinocobra429scj December 22nd 2010, 10:13 am

When is a high volume oil pump needed? I've printed off all the oiling mods on the HFD website for them to do and that's when he mentioned maybe getting the high volume pump. Then he mentioned it might be a good idea to get an extra capacity oil pan???
torinocobra429scj
torinocobra429scj

Back to top Go down

Does a high volume oil pump necessitate a high volume oilpan? Empty Re: Does a high volume oil pump necessitate a high volume oilpan?

Post  dfree383 December 22nd 2010, 10:20 am

The only time you need a HV pump is if you run real loose race type clearances, they are not necessary on a street type engine. The perceived need for HV pumps is an old 60-70's wise tale of more being better.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans December 22nd 2010, 10:30 am

The Canton tray installed.
Does a high volume oil pump necessitate a high volume oilpan? 5025002Small-1
Does a high volume oil pump necessitate a high volume oilpan? 5025001Small

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Does a high volume oil pump necessitate a high volume oilpan? Empty Great pics! Thanks

Post  torinocobra429scj December 22nd 2010, 11:20 am

I've got a Canton Racing catalog so I'll see about getting one of those ordered...
torinocobra429scj
torinocobra429scj

Back to top Go down

Does a high volume oil pump necessitate a high volume oilpan? Empty How does it mount? What is it's purpose? Will it interfere with my CJ pan baffle?

Post  torinocobra429scj December 22nd 2010, 12:47 pm

"Canton Racing Catalog"

20-936 - BBF REAR SUMP SCREEN WINDAGE TRAY (20-936)

This 429-460 Ford Screen Windage tray for front and rear sump. This tray is designed to fit into stock and aftermarket oil pans.
Our Price: $63.60
torinocobra429scj
torinocobra429scj

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane December 22nd 2010, 12:58 pm

torinocobra429scj wrote:I already have the factory 6 quart CJ oil pan with the baffles and will be having my 429CJ turned into a 521 stroker in the next couple of months...Would an aftermarket 8 quart Milodon pan be an extra $300 insurance policy or is it really even needed? I'd hate to ruin a $3500-$4000 motor because I didn't buy the 8 qt oil pan!!! Just tryin to add up all the extra costs for this build I keep coming up with Smile
In and of itself, the use of an HV pump does not dictate the need for a bigger pan except maybe for pump-to-pan clearance reasons, but your OEM SCJ pan is supposed to already have a pan depth which accomodates the taller HV pump.

If this is a street engine, then you ought to get away with a properly prepped standard volume pump provided your bearing clearances are more akin to street duty and not the "0.001" per inch of journal" race duty (which can give you very low idle pressures when using most std volume pumps). Also, if you are doing long, sustained, top speed passes down open roads then you had better hope you have evaluated and addressed good oil drainback to the oil pan...or yes, you might very well need a pan with increased oil capacity.

Lastly, even if you have a well thought out street engine combo that will work fine with OEM pan and pump, there is nothing wrong with a couple of extra reassuring quarts of oil in your street engine.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans December 22nd 2010, 1:03 pm

The engine pictured above is a 503" that we did for a F350.......2.5" bearing clearance with the standard volume truck style from frpp [melling] . The engine had good pressure on the dyno and in the truck.
Paul...have you ever seen one of those pumps? tongue

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane December 22nd 2010, 1:24 pm

Lem Evans wrote:The engine pictured above is a 503" that we did for a F350.......2.5" bearing clearance with the standard volume truck style from frpp [melling] . The engine had good pressure on the dyno and in the truck.
Paul...have you ever seen one of those pumps? tongue
Seen 'em? Hell, I sell 'em! Further, the FRPP M-6600-SV460 pumps that we offer have been modified for performance street/strip applications just like the application being discussed here. Frankly, I don't think there's a better standard volume prepped pump for the money.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down