BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fox Headers in a '68 Mustang

+2
rmcomprandy
onequickstang
6 posters

Go down

Fox Headers in a '68 Mustang Empty Fox Headers in a '68 Mustang

Post  onequickstang January 26th 2011, 2:42 pm

Hey guys,

I'm putting an AJE K-member into my '68 Mustang. This setup should be about the same as the fox body. I'm trying to figure out whether or not I can use the same fox headers for a big block with stock style heads. I was wonding if one of you guys with a BBF in a fox could measure the width of the headers installed in your car? another words, measure from the most outer portion of the primaries from one side to the other. I believe my framerails are closer than a fox's and this would help me check if they would fit or not. let me also know whose hearders you have. I know hooker and d&d make headers for the fox swap. It would be great if someone with the d&d could measure for me as I'd like to go with those. but i'll settle for the hookers if i have to, lol.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Rob

onequickstang

Back to top Go down

Fox Headers in a '68 Mustang Empty Re: Fox Headers in a '68 Mustang

Post  rmcomprandy January 26th 2011, 3:10 pm

onequickstang wrote:Hey guys,

I'm putting an AJE K-member into my '68 Mustang. This setup should be about the same as the fox body. I'm trying to figure out whether or not I can use the same fox headers for a big block with stock style heads. I was wonding if one of you guys with a BBF in a fox could measure the width of the headers installed in your car? another words, measure from the most outer portion of the primaries from one side to the other. I believe my framerails are closer than a fox's and this would help me check if they would fit or not. let me also know whose hearders you have. I know hooker and d&d make headers for the fox swap. It would be great if someone with the d&d could measure for me as I'd like to go with those. but i'll settle for the hookers if i have to, lol.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Rob

What type of oil pan does that crossmember require...?

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyj466 January 26th 2011, 5:01 pm

I used Hooker 2" fox headers on my 66. It has a Heidt's MustangII front end and a rear sump pan. I had to modify two tubes on the driver's side to clear the steering shaft. Width-wise fit was fine, and I expect your frame rails are wider than mine. I can't say how they'll fit otherwise.

TJ
Tommyj466
Tommyj466

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryS January 26th 2011, 5:49 pm

I have a set of Fox body headers bolted to mock-up engine on a stand. They are for sale and a customer wanted to use them on a '68 Cougar. After looking at them on the mock-up, he did not think they would fit the right side. He thought that the tubes went back too far before going down under the floor. In other words, the right side would hit the firewall. If you do not get help from someone with actual experience, PM me and I will take pictures. I could hang the engine and bolt on a transmission. Tell me the transmission type.
GaryS
GaryS

Back to top Go down

Post  onequickstang January 26th 2011, 9:47 pm

Thanks everyone for your replies.

RMCompetition, AJE recommends a fox pan, but i'm going with a dragster pan. I talked to Anthony there and he said I should be fine with it.

TommyJ, nice ride. is it mini tubbed? looking at pics of the AJE setup, i figured i'd have to modify some of the tubes around the steering shaft too. how much did you have to modify them? did you cut or bend them? would you mind measuring between the firewall and the back of the block? I'd like to compare mine with yours and to see if GaryS' customer is right. right now i have the Crites engine swap kit and the engine's about 2" from the firewall.

GaryS, do you know what brand they are? no need to moch up the tranny, but thanks. if you could just measure the out edges of the headers to confirm TommyJ, i'd appreciate it.

Thanks again all!

onequickstang

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyj466 January 27th 2011, 5:44 am

Keep in mind, I removed my shock towers when I installed the Heidt's front end. But clearance at the frame rail was one of your original questions..and mine clear the frame rails. I cut the back two tubes on the driver's side and welded them back in at a slightly tighter radius to clear steering shaft. The passenger side is not modified. Here are a couple pics.

passenger side

Fox Headers in a '68 Mustang 100_0236

Driver's side

Fox Headers in a '68 Mustang 100_0235

TJ

Tommyj466
Tommyj466

Back to top Go down

Post  onequickstang January 27th 2011, 11:40 am

Thanks again TJ. nicely done. the AJE system removes all but the top portion of the shock tower so I'll have plenty of room as well. Unless Gary comes up with a reason not to, I think i'm going to go with the fox headers. Maybe Gary's are still for sale. One last thing, would you mind measuring the firewall to engine clearance?

Thanks!

onequickstang

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyj466 January 27th 2011, 12:11 pm

I'll try tonight when I get home from work. I would guess it's in the 3" range.

TJ
Tommyj466
Tommyj466

Back to top Go down

Fox Headers in a '68 Mustang Empty Fox Headers on a '68 Mustang

Post  onequickstang January 27th 2011, 1:43 pm

that would be great. I forgot to ask, what heads do you have?

onequickstang

Back to top Go down

Post  GaryS January 27th 2011, 4:24 pm

My FB headers are the Tri-Y kind. They are not taking up much room by the time they get past the block. Eye balling a line even with the back on the block, they are about 26" wide. I looked again...noone was proud enough to put their name on these. If you were closer, you could take these and try them. Good luck. Gary
GaryS
GaryS

Back to top Go down

Post  Tommyj466 January 27th 2011, 5:22 pm

onequickstang wrote:that would be great. I forgot to ask, what heads do you have?

There are 3 1/2 inches to firewall. A429 Heads.

TJ
Tommyj466
Tommyj466

Back to top Go down

Post  onequickstang January 27th 2011, 10:30 pm

Guys, thanks again for all the info! Thanks to you input, I think i'm going to give the D&D Auto headers a try. they're 2 1/8 primaries and individual tubes so they'll be easier to modify if needed. I'll probably post the build on here as i'm going so everyone can check it out.

Thanks once again!

onequickstang

Back to top Go down

Post  onequickstang January 28th 2011, 9:51 pm

TJ,

1 more question... D&D sent me pics of their headers and it looks like their's sits really low. Any chance you could send me a similar picture of yours (looking underneath the car from the front to view the tans pan and headers)? I'd like to see if they sit up higher or not and how much so. As much as I'd like the D&D headers, I don't think i have this much clearance to go with them. Also, you have to notch the trans pan if you're running a deep pan which I am, which really isn't really a big deal though.

Thanks again,

Rob

onequickstang

Back to top Go down

Post  John Myrick August 1st 2011, 7:52 pm

Rob, any update on the headers ?

Thanks,
John
John Myrick
John Myrick
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 August 2nd 2011, 6:55 am

onequickstang wrote:TJ,

1 more question... D&D sent me pics of their headers and it looks like their's sits really low. Any chance you could send me a similar picture of yours (looking underneath the car from the front to view the tans pan and headers)? I'd like to see if they sit up higher or not and how much so. As much as I'd like the D&D headers, I don't think i have this much clearance to go with them. Also, you have to notch the trans pan if you're running a deep pan which I am, which really isn't really a big deal though.

Thanks again,

Rob

Check-out D&D new set of fox headers.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down