BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Building the Chassis Fixture (Finished)

+17
Nevs
cool40
res0rli9
AZFairlane
the Coug
racnrick
QtrWarrior
Wayne Pearce
'65 T-BOLT
72mav
dfree383
DILLIGASDAVE
bruno
BigDave65
Frank Merkl
IDT-572
Doug Rahn
21 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Building the Chassis Fixture (Finished) - Page 2 Empty Re: Building the Chassis Fixture (Finished)

Post  the Coug March 13th 2011, 1:21 pm

Nice Doug..... when you get it done bring it by my place and I will check it out for ya and let you know how it works..... Wink
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Building the Chassis Fixture (Finished) - Page 2 Empty Re: Building the Chassis Fixture (Finished)

Post  '65 T-BOLT March 13th 2011, 5:00 pm

the Coug wrote:Nice Doug..... when you get it done bring it by my place and I will check it out for ya and let you know how it works..... Wink
Then let me use it and I can verify the Coug.
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug March 13th 2011, 7:30 pm

'65 T-BOLT wrote:
the Coug wrote:Nice Doug..... when you get it done bring it by my place and I will check it out for ya and let you know how it works..... Wink

sounds fair we would not wish Doug to use something that is not tested would we???? Laughing
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  AZFairlane March 13th 2011, 7:50 pm

I'm sorry, that's not Doug's shop. The floor is not clean and polished. Twisted Evil Very Happy
AZFairlane
AZFairlane
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn March 13th 2011, 8:13 pm

AZFairlane wrote:I'm sorry, that's not Doug's shop. The floor is not clean and polished. Twisted Evil Very Happy

Embarassed Terrible, ain't it! There's been a lot of work going on in there lately and no one sticks around to clean up Sad . I'm getting ready to do two engine swaps for my brothers. The oldest wants to put a new LS1 in his pickup, and the youngest is getting a new engine for his sons Titan pickup Sad I'm feeling the pain already. Laughing Laughing Laughing
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/228081

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT March 13th 2011, 10:40 pm

the Coug wrote:
'65 T-BOLT wrote:

sounds fair we would not wish Doug to use something that is not tested would we???? Laughing
So TRUE!...plus he needs the room for a pair of engine swaps!
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn March 16th 2011, 5:38 pm

I got these pieces from David Willingham yesterday Cool . These are four of the major jig points to build the chassis. Shorter ones for the front of the frame rails, and the taller ones are for the cross-member at the main hoop. Thanks David, they look great. If any of y'all ever need a custom part machined, I would highly recommend contacting David first. The workmanship is top shelf and the prices are reasonable. This is like the forth thing I've had him make for me and I've never been disappointed. cheers I have more on the drawing board I'll be getting with him about.

Building the Chassis Fixture (Finished) - Page 2 DSCF1824
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 March 16th 2011, 5:51 pm

Doug Rahn wrote:I got these pieces from David Willingham yesterday Cool . These are four of the major jig points to build the chassis. Shorter ones for the front of the frame rails, and the taller ones are for the cross-member at the main hoop. Thanks David, they look great. If any of y'all ever need a custom part machined, I would highly recommend contacting David first. The workmanship is top shelf and the prices are reasonable. This is like the forth thing I've had him make for me and I've never been disappointed. cheers I have more on the drawing board I'll be getting with him about.

Building the Chassis Fixture (Finished) - Page 2 DSCF1824

David Willingham is tha (MAN) Twisted Evil (GOOD PEOPLE)
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT March 16th 2011, 6:02 pm

looks like outstanding workmanship cheers
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn March 20th 2011, 12:02 pm

Getting close to getting this thing finished. cheers I still have to put the end plates on the other end and when I get the 6" angles David is correcting for me I can start on the new chassis. And kudos to David about the quality of his work. He is currently making some new blower cases for a Top Fuel team that had some problems at Gainesville last weekend Cool . And one more big obstacle to get pass, get my bothers up here to help clean out the other side of my shop lol! .

Building the Chassis Fixture (Finished) - Page 2 DSCF1830

Building the Chassis Fixture (Finished) - Page 2 DSCF1831

Building the Chassis Fixture (Finished) - Page 2 DSCF1832

Building the Chassis Fixture (Finished) - Page 2 DSCF1835
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  res0rli9 March 20th 2011, 12:54 pm

That is just AWESOME. Cool Cool Cool

res0rli9
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT March 20th 2011, 10:20 pm

Can't wait to see that chassis he will be building. This table is freaking awesome Doug!
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 March 20th 2011, 11:46 pm

i hope you have better luck with your brothers cleaning up than i do with my kids! Laughing nice job!
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs March 26th 2011, 11:25 am

Outstanding job Doug! Cool
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  David Willingham March 26th 2011, 12:36 pm

Looking good Doug! Your angles are on the way. You were right about them being off. I ending up having to machine the sides flat so I could hold them well enough to remove the 1/8" off material it took to square them up. I went ahead and cut both surfaces to 90* because they were bowed about .020". They are dang near perfect now. Have fun!
David Willingham
David Willingham
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn March 26th 2011, 3:17 pm

David Willingham wrote:Looking good Doug! Your angles are on the way. You were right about them being off. I ending up having to machine the sides flat so I could hold them well enough to remove the 1/8" off material it took to square them up. I went ahead and cut both surfaces to 90* because they were bowed about .020". They are dang near perfect now. Have fun!

Thanks David, I'll keep and eye out for them. I added this little feature today, some Starrett self adhesive measuring tape for the slides. I'll add it on the other side when I get it finished and everything is squared up and permanent.

Building the Chassis Fixture (Finished) - Page 2 DSCF1840

Building the Chassis Fixture (Finished) - Page 2 DSCF1837
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno March 27th 2011, 11:44 am

Doug i posted this link on another site and the guys love the design , but someone had commented on the aluminum twisting due to temperature changes , but i told them you shop was temperature controlled ....should that be something you would have to worry about ?

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 March 27th 2011, 11:55 am

if his shop is like mine he can keep it 72* year round...............
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn March 27th 2011, 12:19 pm

bruno wrote:Doug i posted this link on another site and the guys love the design , but someone had commented on the aluminum twisting due to temperature changes , but i told them you shop was temperature controlled ....should that be something you would have to worry about ?

Not a problem, my shop is insulated better than my house is. Besides, for it to twist like they are talking about, it would have to be a really extreme temperature swing. Wink
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE March 28th 2011, 5:46 am

Any chassis jig will move around to some degree regardless of how rigid it's built or the material it's made of. And no mater how many fixture points there are attaching the chassis/frame to the jig, the chassis will still push/pull/move around to some degree during welding. It's usually not a big deal.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 April 3rd 2011, 9:23 pm

Doug Rahn wrote:
David Willingham wrote:Looking good Doug! Your angles are on the way. You were right about them being off. I ending up having to machine the sides flat so I could hold them well enough to remove the 1/8" off material it took to square them up. I went ahead and cut both surfaces to 90* because they were bowed about .020". They are dang near perfect now. Have fun!

Thanks David, I'll keep and eye out for them. I added this little feature today, some Starrett self adhesive measuring tape for the slides. I'll add it on the other side when I get it finished and everything is squared up and permanent.

Building the Chassis Fixture (Finished) - Page 2 DSCF1840

Building the Chassis Fixture (Finished) - Page 2 DSCF1837

Doug what I like about the tape measure is that you can get them that reads from left to right or right to left I have the part #s at work we use them on saw tables.

Jim
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Doug Rahn April 10th 2011, 11:54 am

Finished it yesterday, just need to clean out a dedicated spot for it on the other side of my shop.

Building the Chassis Fixture (Finished) - Page 2 DSCF1862

Building the Chassis Fixture (Finished) - Page 2 DSCF1865

Building the Chassis Fixture (Finished) - Page 2 DSCF1867
Doug Rahn
Doug Rahn
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  cool40 April 10th 2011, 9:10 pm

thats nice! now when would you like to start on my new car? Very Happy
cool40
cool40
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Wheelie58 April 19th 2011, 5:54 am

That is too nice to be in the shop.
Make a glass top for it, put in the kitchen for big dinners!
Nice work!
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2