BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

ARP main stud ?

+12
bbf-falcon
Gregaust
tiger
Lem Evans
BigDave65
richter69
TravisRice
rmcomprandy
dirt_worker
the Coug
bigjohn2007
16 posters

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

ARP main stud ? - Page 2 Empty Re: ARP main stud ?

Post  Lem Evans March 14th 2011, 11:57 am

Randy hit the nail on the head. The straight studs for the bbf heads and mains are of poor design........or maybe it's no design.

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane March 14th 2011, 12:13 pm

Lem Evans wrote:Randy hit the nail on the head. The straight studs for the bbf heads and mains are of poor design........or maybe it's no design.
The smallest diameter on the 385 Series ARP main studs is at the minor thread diameter of the 9/16-course threads. Eeeew. I'll stick with the necked-down OEM main bolts whenever possible, thanks very much.

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav March 14th 2011, 12:47 pm

Paul Kane wrote:
Lem Evans wrote:Randy hit the nail on the head. The straight studs for the bbf heads and mains are of poor design........or maybe it's no design.
The smallest diameter on the 385 Series ARP main studs is at the minor thread diameter of the 9/16-course threads. Eeeew. I'll stick with the necked-down OEM main bolts whenever possible, thanks very much.

Paul

I dont have my O.E.M. studs handy to see. I thought they were straight diameter also. Or are there two different O.E.M. studs?

Thanks.
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  Paul Kane March 14th 2011, 1:07 pm

72mav wrote:
Paul Kane wrote:

Paul

I dont have my O.E.M. studs handy to see. I thought they were straight diameter also. Or are there two different O.E.M. studs?

Thanks.
Al
I've seen them both ways. Most (but not all) seem to be necked down. In the case of the production engines as manufactured, it doesn't really matter whether they are necked down or not since those power levels are so low. In regards to your engine build that you and I disucssed last week, Al, be sure to use those main bolts that have the reduced shank (assuming you use the OEM main bolts).

Paul
Paul Kane
Paul Kane

http://www.highflowdynamics.com

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav March 14th 2011, 9:23 pm

Thanks Paul.
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

ARP main stud ? - Page 2 Empty Head and Main Studs

Post  tompietwo March 26th 2011, 7:20 am

Does anyone offer studs that are shanked down for a lower torque that would be compatible with the block thread strength?... or has anyone on here cut down a set of studs and performed a tensile/stretch test to reduce the torque as required?

Maybe a call to ARP tech folks could get somthing going on this...we are the customer.

tompietwo

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2