BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OK Guys...How about a Super Low Budget Build ?

+20
westsideford
kens68stang
Nevs
racerk_2000
maverick
OldRedFord
dfree383
72mav
moparman
longroofracer
jesse
mach1charlie
bbf-falcon
DanH
somethingclever
Lem Evans
Northwest outlaw
Greg_P
schmitty
RapidRuss
24 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

OK Guys...How about a Super Low Budget Build ? - Page 2 Empty Re: OK Guys...How about a Super Low Budget Build ?

Post  Northwest outlaw September 6th 2009, 10:25 am

If you guys dont get any stuff coming in let me know i mite have a D1VE block and a set of D3VE heads.
Northwest outlaw
Northwest outlaw

Back to top Go down

OK Guys...How about a Super Low Budget Build ? - Page 2 Empty Re: OK Guys...How about a Super Low Budget Build ?

Post  RapidRuss September 6th 2009, 10:41 am

Well Hell...That would be very much appreciated !! I'll take just about anything I can get right now...But I draw the line at Ol Ladies and kids...and Pro Comp Parts ! Laughing
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

Post  OldRedFord September 6th 2009, 3:48 pm

I think this is what my final combo will be...

D1ve block, fuelie pistons, d3 heads, Edelbrock 2167 cam n lifter kit, Weiand stealth intake, holly 750 carb. Then of couse the other obvious rebuild parts like oil n water pump etc. Very Happy Looking at around $1500, Im sure I left a few odd pieces out of the figure.
OldRedFord
OldRedFord

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav September 6th 2009, 10:52 pm

maverick wrote:Come On guys, LETS LOAD UP SOME JUNK FOR OLE RUSS. Maybe a little love package?
Regards.
Al

Al, Please don't ever use the term "love package" again. Shocked[/quote]

That was all ment in good taste Kim....
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  racerk_2000 September 7th 2009, 1:03 am

If your budget is 5K, buy rmcomprandy's EMC engine if he still has it. It seems like a hell of a deal. 650 dyno proven HP and over 600 FT/LB of torque.
If I had the money I would buy it. I have almost that much in my engine and it is not done or proven. I have seen the EMC dyno numbers and it is impressive.
Just an idea.
Kevin

racerk_2000

Back to top Go down

Post  RapidRuss September 7th 2009, 7:01 am

Well Al,

I think most of us knew what you meant ! Laughing

RacerK, I think you need to go back and read all the posts I have made, I did say at first it looked like about $5K for a build...But now I'am not so sure..

That would be great if Northwest Outlaw has a spare block and some head's too ! As that would give me more to put into the rotating assy or the heads.. as we all know most of the power is in the induction system..

I looked up on a few sites last night to find out what size valve's the D3's would take and what they flowed at with some work done.. But all I ran across was some with stock valve's ? and I would think they would flow better than 270cfm ? Doesnt sound right to me..

I see Paul Kane has CJ/Truck rods for $50 for a set...But then again we me always thinking new for the last few years...whats the cost of Mag and rebuild ? I think Lem said those FRPP Cranks worked with stock rods...But then I wonder where that puts the wrist pin at ? and again at what price..

I think Blake's going to get those D0VE-C head from Derek at a $150...that was a damn good price !! Isnt that about what the charge for cores now days ?

Been up since 3am this morning....those damn hooked pins in my foot..seem to catch on everything.. Evil or Very Mad I think I'am gonna have to bend a piece of sheet aluminum and taped it over those, as not to snag shit !! Talk about a wake up call... Laughing It kinda make's ya want to bend over and grab the concrete Twisted Evil

Thanks Guys for all your input and suggestions and most definately your parts offer's ! Very Happy
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav September 7th 2009, 8:47 am

Just let us know on the core parts Russ.
d3's are a good head to work with. Harold is running low nines with them, ported of course.His Fox Cougar is all tube chassis and steel fenders I beleive.

$150,is a good buy for a set of DOVE-C castings. Some guys pay more, but that price is more reallity IMO. Mine were the best of all,FREE!
For the CJ valves, Randy Malik quoated me arround $80. for cutting the bowls if I remember correctly. Do that first. Then your porting, chamber polish, guides,decking, and valve-job.Some guys may have some valves arround also, even posibly new ones.

The old Motorsport cranks have the stock journal. You may find some new at swaps. My buddy found one new for $350. The seller had two of them. ALOT of guys dont want them, hence the stock journal size. So maybe you could WORK on the seller that had one if ya found one. Wink Wheel & Deal. Keep it arround 6,500-6,800 and you shouldnt have any problems. If ya check with Lem on pistons for a 4.3 setup like this, please post them if ya would. Im interested also. Im looking at a 472, but if I found a deal on one of those cranks when Im ready,Id go that route. Since I really want a 521 anyway.

Dont skimp on a good pan/scraper setup. Theese motors WILL rope the oil arround the crank like a goddamn lassoo at 5,000 RPM!! No chit! Just ask Kasse about that. Plus polish ALL the casting flash and the rough finnish off the counterweights. The factory finnish HOLDS OIL. Do that and you have some free HP.
Im sure some guys will say, its not the worth it. But if ya do, all the little things like that, they ADD UP in the long run. And they are free for your time.
Im done.
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  RapidRuss September 7th 2009, 9:33 am

Yeah Al,

I'll fill you in when Lem gets back to me...I dont think he goes thru all the posts ? So I may have to PM him or call him tuesday... and your right on the polishing..the last BB I did years ago ..some 30 years ago....Some of the guys used that Glyptol Paint in the lifter valley..well we had a small machine shop at that time..and I spent a whole weekend de-burring flash and parting lines and the lifter valley with the air sander....and it worked out pretty slick...a few 12ver's of beer and a bag of sanding disk's and we were in business...Plus I didnt have to worry about the paint coming off and end up in the motor either.. any good machinist will tell you there is hidden HP in the block prep... Laughing

Those D0VE-C you got for free...the Price was real right.... maybe at the time I'am ready to get some machine work done..One of the Big Dogs will be wanting to upgrade to some better heads and get off some Ported Irons one's on the cheap ? If not I'll just deal with what I have to work with..I'am still curious as to what the Iron D3's flow ? as per Hp potential

I take it that alot of guys dont want to use the stock journal size is because of bearing surface drag... were less is more...

and I forget who it was that had some roller lifters with just 5 dyno pulls on them for $200...I think they were comps.. But they wouldnt do me any good right now anyway.. As I still have to wait and see about the money situation...and what I can really spend.. Question
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans September 7th 2009, 9:59 am

Diamond makes a flat top 4.300/6.605 [stock lenght] .....1.540" C.D. $659.00 . They can be had with the 1.040' or the .990" pin hole . I don't know if there is anything else out there that may be cheaper .

Last edited by Lem Evans on September 7th 2009, 1:53 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : spelling...like always)

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  RapidRuss September 7th 2009, 10:23 am

Thanks Lem for pricing those for us... Very Happy
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs September 7th 2009, 10:29 am

That's a mighty good price for a set of new Diamond pistons.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav September 7th 2009, 11:01 am

Yes, that is a VERY good price.
And thanks for the info Lem!
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  kens68stang September 7th 2009, 5:39 pm

Russ, If you can make your way to central pa I'll give ya a deal on an engine or 2 that will be hard to pass up. I'm cleanin out the basement an a couple of these gotta go!!!!. per wifes orders!!!! So you know there gonna be cheaper than dirt!!!!! Very Happy

kens68stang

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH September 7th 2009, 7:07 pm

budgets and deals , buying a block out of your area can cost. shipping kills a lot of deals, even free parts. i missed it or it wasn't posted, R RUSS -- the power goal. what is it ? now i do have a used set of FI .030 over on rods for $65 or NEW forged +.030 flat tops and H beam rods (for stock stroke) for $750

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  RapidRuss September 8th 2009, 1:35 pm

Well Dan,

Trying to nail down how much power without know how much I really have to spend, Cant be done..I'am just trying to put different thing together and see what comes up.. the ultimalte would be to get a stroker going when I finnally see what I have left to spend.. ?

I have a Buddy just offer me a D9 Block and some Truck rods... that are good... I dont know a thing about Fuelie Pistons ? as in what kind of compression there good for with what head etc..and right now I dont know if I'll have $750 to throw at some pistons and rods ? I'am just playing by ear right now..

How about 700hp for $2500... Very Happy
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

Post  DanH September 8th 2009, 6:58 pm

700 hp for $2500 . $2500 buys a couple of bottle kits with money left for forged pistond

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  kens68stang September 8th 2009, 7:09 pm

Russ, Maybe one of the more experienced guys could give a HP figure........ 4.3 crank with truck rods, decent set of pistons, ported doves, with ?? intake and cam and carb. an a 6 to 6500 redline....... Laughing

kens68stang

Back to top Go down

Post  RapidRuss September 8th 2009, 9:18 pm

Yeah ken,

I'am thinking along those lines anyway... some ported Iron and a victor to match, Probably a 1050 to 1150 Domy..and a bump stick that will only idle for about a minute without loading the plugs !! Twisted Evil "No smog required here" I love it...

there's guy locally that has a set of D3's that are ported...? But by who ? He doesnt know..Stock valve's tho.. and with spring good to .580" lift...Hell the cam that was in my Camper Special had a higher lift with the FE in it.. But they might have had some crazy Duration on that cam also ? another Bud was interested, but he didnt have them magged...So its buyer beware..and I dont do things that way..

BTW, It was nice to talk to you today !! Good conversation ! I enjoyed it !
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford September 9th 2009, 1:37 am

kens68stang wrote:Russ, Maybe one of the more experienced guys could give a HP figure........ 4.3 crank with truck rods, decent set of pistons, ported doves, with ?? intake and cam and carb. an a 6 to 6500 redline....... Laughing

4.3 crank & truck rods?

Hummmm
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford September 9th 2009, 1:46 am

RapidRuss wrote:Well Dan,

Trying to nail down how much power without know how much I really have to spend, Cant be done..I'am just trying to put different thing together and see what comes up.. the ultimalte would be to get a stroker going when I finnally see what I have left to spend.. ?

I have a Buddy just offer me a D9 Block and some Truck rods... that are good... I dont know a thing about Fuelie Pistons ? as in what kind of compression there good for with what head etc..and right now I dont know if I'll have $750 to throw at some pistons and rods ? I'am just playing by ear right now..

How about 700hp for $2500... Very Happy

Russ a D9 block will get you .030 in the hole! FI pistons with .030 in the hole w/ D3 heads,.. your at a street 475 HP 9.5 to 1 compression. The PI pistons are Hypers! Flogg that thing to over 6K continually and kiss the skirts good bye!

Bottom line: What is your expected use and tru expetations.. Open the check book & Have Fun! No replacement for displacement!
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  RapidRuss September 9th 2009, 5:04 am

Well Les,

.030" in the hole aint gonna cut it..and Hyper aint gonna cut it either !! So it looks like its forged slugs, which that why I had Lem check on some anyway to work with the truck rods and that frpp 4.300" crank.. and I know there are at least 2 out there, 1 the Diamonds Lem has, and 2 Probes makes a set at a 1.535" CH VS. the 1.540" that the Diamond has..

And If all I end up with is 475hp for a street /strip motor, He'll I'll quit....Damn stock CJ FE motors made almost 400ho from the factory years ago..

And of course we know that blocked the deck will put the piston anywhere you want it... Laughing
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

Post  the Coug September 9th 2009, 1:00 pm

get you a running engine and buy some overhaul in a can it is about $25 that is about as cheap as you can get....

have fun
Randy
the Coug
the Coug

Back to top Go down

Post  kens68stang September 9th 2009, 5:36 pm

Russ, how bout a set of C8Ve heads?? There bone stock an I can have the shop down the road mag them if your interested??? Ken

kens68stang

Back to top Go down

Post  schmitty September 9th 2009, 6:06 pm

Hey Russ, if one of the other blocks doen'st work out for some reason, I have a D1VE block .060 over with a recent bore job. You would need to hone it a little as there was a broken ring on one of the pistons and it scratched the cylinder slightly. Pay the shipping and it's yours.
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

Post  westsideford September 10th 2009, 12:32 am

Russ..
4.3 crank & Stock rods... Where is the piston pin located in the piston?
westsideford
westsideford

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next