BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OK Guys...How about a Super Low Budget Build ?

+20
westsideford
kens68stang
Nevs
racerk_2000
maverick
OldRedFord
dfree383
72mav
moparman
longroofracer
jesse
mach1charlie
bbf-falcon
DanH
somethingclever
Lem Evans
Northwest outlaw
Greg_P
schmitty
RapidRuss
24 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

OK Guys...How about a Super Low Budget Build ? - Page 3 Empty Re: OK Guys...How about a Super Low Budget Build ?

Post  RapidRuss September 10th 2009, 5:19 am

Well Thanks Ken, Schmitty, Very Happy

I'll be in touch one way or the other..

Les, with that combo the pin is 1.535 to 1.540" CH.. Lem Has a set of slugs from Diamond in stock and I have seen a set that Probe also makes for the same..
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

OK Guys...How about a Super Low Budget Build ? - Page 3 Empty Re: OK Guys...How about a Super Low Budget Build ?

Post  DanH September 14th 2009, 2:15 pm

RapidRuss wrote:Well Dan,

Trying to nail down how much power without know how much I really have to spend, Cant be done..I'am just trying to put different thing together and see what comes up.. the ultimalte would be to get a stroker going when I finnally see what I have left to spend.. ?

I have a Buddy just offer me a D9 Block and some Truck rods... that are good... I dont know a thing about Fuelie Pistons ? as in what kind of compression there good for with what head etc..and right now I dont know if I'll have $750 to throw at some pistons and rods ? I'am just playing by ear right now..

How about 700hp for $2500... Very Happy
Check my ad in stuff for sale . see what $2000. gets you or anybody that buys it

DanH

Back to top Go down

Post  RapidRuss September 14th 2009, 3:30 pm

Thats a damn good price on those parts Dan....and my 700hp for $2500 was tounge N cheek.. Laughing
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav September 14th 2009, 9:47 pm

If I had the cash, I would already be on my way picking them up.
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  OldRedFord September 15th 2009, 2:26 am

westsideford wrote:
RapidRuss wrote:Well Dan,

Trying to nail down how much power without know how much I really have to spend, Cant be done..I'am just trying to put different thing together and see what comes up.. the ultimalte would be to get a stroker going when I finnally see what I have left to spend.. ?

I have a Buddy just offer me a D9 Block and some Truck rods... that are good... I dont know a thing about Fuelie Pistons ? as in what kind of compression there good for with what head etc..and right now I dont know if I'll have $750 to throw at some pistons and rods ? I'am just playing by ear right now..

How about 700hp for $2500... Very Happy

Russ a D9 block will get you .030 in the hole! FI pistons with .030 in the hole w/ D3 heads,.. your at a street 475 HP 9.5 to 1 compression. The PI pistons are Hypers! Flogg that thing to over 6K continually and kiss the skirts good bye!

Bottom line: What is your expected use and tru expetations.. Open the check book & Have Fun! No replacement for displacement!

Still have those FI pistons? Very Happy
OldRedFord
OldRedFord

Back to top Go down

Post  RapidRuss September 15th 2009, 7:00 am

Well Dan,

As you said the check book will have to come out at some time...I spoke with my Son Last night..and he's been in hock to me for sometime...So he supposed to send me some of what he owes the first of the year..and I'll use that to buy a rotating assy. Kit.. and get the D9 prep..and do the Paul Kane Oil mods to the block, and have it sonic checked for a thin bore about an inch down in the cylinders... to see If it'll keep the water in the jackets at an .080+ bore..

Then I'll move onto the C8 heads..a buddy on mine going to have them cleaned and magged as soon as my SSD starts coming in..which was to of allready happened..But you know our F**kin Gov..I know Lightning has a set of irons for $600 with big valves in them..and some port work...But I just can Chit $600 right now.. Maybe at a later date I'll get lucky from someone wanting to upgrade there Heads and pick up some aluminum at a good price..

Then once the shortblock is done and the head combo is figured out ..I'll work on looking into a street/strip roller cam and all its components... So in between waiting on the Gov. and money..and re-cooping from the foot surgery and next will be the back...and trying to collect parts, and going back and forth to the Veterans hospital...I'll have my hands full.. Its just one day at a time at this point.. As this is going to take awhile as money permits and still keeping up with the household bills..Very Happy

But I really appreciate all the help and suggestion you guys have provided me with !

Oh and I talked to John Bozzelle yesterday and had a good talk about his ride...and if I havent had my back surgery yet..I'll be at the Bash next year come hell or high water..and if I have had it by then..Hopefully I'll have mended up enough to still make the trip without to much pain..But after all these years of hanging around here and there..I think its about time I put some more names and faces together.. I hadnt been able to afford making the trip the last few years..As we had 2 house guest that we were supporting. (Daughter and Grandchild) but there gone now..So that free'd up some change also..Now were just playing catch-up...

Well Now that all you now know all my Business !! Very Happy....Back onto the build...Very Happy Oh Plus I owe Nick a 6 pack, Charlie a T-shirt, and Damon a kick in the pants...Cant remember why ? But I need to meet the KY Krew..some ol Country Boys like myself...Very Happy
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

Post  psquare75 September 16th 2009, 2:06 pm

$5k to me wasn't 'budget' that was my *Crate Engine* from carl, if I factored in everything.

Budget is $2000 or less. $200 parts car, H/C/I swap into a light car. Drive until death. Lather Rinse Repeat every two years.
psquare75
psquare75

http://www.reklessracing.net

Back to top Go down

Post  BOSS 429 September 17th 2009, 12:05 am

id want a few question awnsered first...............

how heavy is your car,street? track,both?

how much can i spend?

how fast do you want to go?

which trans do you have,or are using

any nos?

what fuel are you planing on running?

then i could awnser your question

-rich
BOSS 429
BOSS 429

Back to top Go down

Post  RapidRuss September 17th 2009, 7:28 am

Well So far the 460 stroker build short block will go something like this..

A buddy of mine gave me a good deal on a D9 block, It'll need to be cleaned and magged and sonic checked to determine bore size.. after doing some research of the different vendor's some of the Big Boys use..I looked at CHP.. a vendor that Mike Stevens use's...and found they have some mid line all forged 4.300" kit at about $1500 to $1700 and up depending,balanced and shipped,/ But the kit I was looking at was a Probe product, Crank, H-beam rods, Choice of pistons, depending on heads, bearings..Clevites, But i may want to go with the wider bearing that I believe either Dave Mc , or RM has, That i dont know as of yet..

As i had explained to dfree...I can get a set of C8 heads...But from what I read about porting and upgrading them to a decent semi performance head...I'am really not sure If the money warrants the iron heads..As I dont have to run iron...I may just work on the short block and wait to see if someone upgrades there aluminum heads over the off season and try and find a good used set ?

I have read some of the articles by ..Brett, and DJ, and ken and a few others..and it seems like a butt load of work has to go into the iron heads.. and its real tricky around those termactor bumps..and in the short turn...So ? I had a set of C4AE-G FE heads done years ago by Les Schmader up in PA ...and he did a real decent job on them..along with cutting them for the CJ valves and useing Isky springs..etc.. But even way back then I had over $750 in them...

So i have come to realize...there is no such thing as a cheap dependable HP making 460/stroker with room to grow... Laughing So in the meantime, I'll just keep saving my beer & Soda Laughing cans and scrap Iron and save...
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

Post  DJOHAGIN September 17th 2009, 8:56 pm

LOL.

We went from this:

RapidRuss wrote:Ya'll have done the 15 to 35K motors.... If you had Very little funds to work with..and I meen very little.. Being an all Iron 460 based motor.. Lets see what could be built on the cheap...the way it seem I'am gonna have to go just to get to the track some time i the next 2 years.. street/strip motor..I dont mind running a mix in the gas..for short runs to the cruise in....

Block-cost and why that one?
Best flowing heads (iron) cant afford aluminum-cost
Offset ground 460 crank ? Cost effective - yes/no cost
Good used forged pistons..

You guys get the idea...... Take a stab at it..and I'll take notes...Remember I'am the rookie.. Very Happy

And bottom line..what you think would be the final cost ?

To this:

RapidRuss wrote:Well So far the 460 stroker build short block will go something like this..

A buddy of mine gave me a good deal on a D9 block, It'll need to be cleaned and magged and sonic checked to determine bore size.. after doing some research of the different vendor's some of the Big Boys use..I looked at CHP.. a vendor that Mike Stevens use's...and found they have some mid line all forged 4.300" kit at about $1500 to $1700 and up depending,balanced and shipped,/ But the kit I was looking at was a Probe product, Crank, H-beam rods, Choice of pistons, depending on heads, bearings..Clevites, But i may want to go with the wider bearing that I believe either Dave Mc , or RM has, That i dont know as of yet..

As i had explained to dfree...I can get a set of C8 heads...But from what I read about porting and upgrading them to a decent semi performance head...I'am really not sure If the money warrants the iron heads..As I dont have to run iron...I may just work on the short block and wait to see if someone upgrades there aluminum heads over the off season and try and find a good used set ?

I have read some of the articles by ..Brett, and DJ, and ken and a few others..and it seems like a butt load of work has to go into the iron heads.. and its real tricky around those termactor bumps..and in the short turn...So ? I had a set of C4AE-G FE heads done years ago by Les Schmader up in PA ...and he did a real decent job on them..along with cutting them for the CJ valves and useing Isky springs..etc.. But even way back then I had over $750 in them...

So i have come to realize...there is no such thing as a cheap dependable HP making 460/stroker with room to grow... Laughing So in the meantime, I'll just keep saving my beer & Soda Laughing cans and scrap Iron and save...

Now to answer someone truly looking for low budget build with some power (mixing gas), this would be one way:

750 Holley DP
(Would have to spend time tuning it yourself)
Ford factory SCJ cast iron intake
DOVE heads
(Install 2.19/1.72 valves and just do bowl work only on both intake and exhaust. Use factory-style adjustable rocker arm set-up)
D9 block
(Look at Paul Kane's site and copy his oiling mods)
Crower 22355 solid lifter cam
(278/284,238/241,.519/.524, 110 LSA)
KB flat-top pistons
(Around 11.7 to 1 compression)
Ford Motorsport double-dimple truck rods
Stock crankshaft
(Balance rotating assembly)
HFD oil pump
Stock truck pan or Canton deep sump front sump
(Would suggest you modify a stock pick-up with use of the front sump pan)
1 17/8 headers into 3-inch exhaust system

While certainly not the most glamorous package, it would put out some very good power.

IMHO Cool

Dave

DJOHAGIN

Back to top Go down

Post  72mav September 17th 2009, 9:47 pm

Nice little build Dave,
And welcome over here. Was wondering when you would show up.
Regards.
Al
72mav
72mav

Back to top Go down

Post  RapidRuss September 18th 2009, 7:05 am

Yeah thats a good low buck build.. But mine $$ has gone up a tad...with me just contacting my kids that owe's me money... But i dont about 11.7 to 1 with Iron heads...But I guess with enough cam bleed off it can be done...

I just came to the realization<-sp ? that to build a good bottom end, and that would leave planty of room for upgrades in the future.. Without having to tear it all down again to upgrade when the time comes..

I cant let this Guy up the road from me get under my skin with his stroker 440 Morparts.. going into a 67 fury ....

So anyway the long and the short of the story...with the coin my Son owes me..When "Ever" I recieve it..I'll be able to afford a better bottom end.. Very Happy
RapidRuss
RapidRuss

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3