BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Speed Sensor ?

4 posters

Go down

Speed Sensor ? Empty Speed Sensor ?

Post  BigDave65 April 22nd 2011, 9:14 pm

My 95 460 dually trans is the auto. with overdrive. I'm getting a code that says the speed sensor is bad. The speedometer works fine. There is a sensor on the rear end and one on the trans, which one tells the trans when to shift. The problem is the trans isn't shifting at the right time. It runs way out then shifts really hard.

Thanks, David
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Speed Sensor ? Empty Re: Speed Sensor ?

Post  Wheelie58 April 23rd 2011, 4:29 am

I am pretty sure it is the one on the trans.
Maybe one of the more current Ford service technicians will chime in....
Keith
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 April 23rd 2011, 11:03 am

I didnt think there was a OSS on that year e40d. VSS in the diff sends a signal to the instrument cluster and from there to the PCM.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT April 23rd 2011, 11:35 am

my 93 crew cab had a similar problem...shifted weird, speedo messing up...replaced both the speedo and the sensor on the rear still has the same problem....so I traced the wires back up to the front...well I found 6 damaged wires 2 of which were for the vss, these wires were in the plastic loom and the loom had no physical/visible damage to it. Puzzling yes, but I cut out the bad (get to clean copper) and fixed ..no problems now.
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  BigDave65 April 23rd 2011, 4:12 pm

Thanks for the info guys! T-Bolt, I'll check the wiring out and see what I find. I could be wrong about the sensor on the trans. I found 2 different speed sensors online. I had already replaced the one in the rear and it was still acting up but not all the time.

Thanks again.
BigDave65
BigDave65

Back to top Go down

Post  '65 T-BOLT April 24th 2011, 12:56 am

BigDave65 wrote:Thanks for the info guys! T-Bolt, I'll check the wiring out and see what I find. I could be wrong about the sensor on the trans. I found 2 different speed sensors online. I had already replaced the one in the rear and it was still acting up but not all the time.

Thanks again.
thats what my 93 did then I replaced the speedo...was out of options...so I looked at the wires...Now the 94 turbo diesel that my sister had, had the same problem...turned out to be several differnt things I put a sensor in the rear..took it to Kentucky still acted up...it would be fine for a few miles...varied in distances... would pull over come to a complete stop and it would be fine for a few more miles..had to keep doing it... well it went to the Ford dealer in Lexington Ky and cost me $480...said it was fixed...nope took it back a week later, they adjusted the injection timing, among other things, new rear sensor. still did not fix it.. so it is still sitting at her farm in Lexington!
'65 T-BOLT
'65 T-BOLT

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down