BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

half tank...but run out of fuel?

4 posters

Go down

half tank...but run out of fuel? Empty half tank...but run out of fuel?

Post  GT300TD November 12th 2011, 9:44 am

Last week I took the Galaxie out for a shake down cruise, had about 6 gallons in the tank. Drove about 1 mile and it stumbled and quit. Pulled to the side waited about a minute and it started right up. It quit 2 more times in the next couple of miles. Got to the Sunoco station put 11 and a half gallions in it. It was fine for a few miles and started to quit again so I slowed down to about 20 mph and it recovered. Repeated this a couple more times in about 6 miles. Fuel pressure was 5.5 so I raised it to 6.5. D
Yesterday I warmed it up for about 10 minutes and drove it to get the front end aligned, about 8 miles and it was fine. Picked it up and decided to take it out the road. 60 to 65 mph for about 5 miles. Turned around and eased it up to about 75 and it quit again. Got it home after as few more stops.
Have a 22 gallon JAZ foam filled poly fuel cell in the trunk, Holley 105 gph electric pump, 30"-8AN braided line to the pump behind the rear bumper, 1/2" aluminum fine w/insulation running to the regulator on the inner fender, -6AN line to the 750 Holley. I have a new 850 Holley to go on after I get this figure this out. Holley instruction sheet says 5-7 lbs pressure. Everything was new when installed except carb which I know to be good. No kinks in fuel line. WTF??? Question

Last edited by GT300TD on November 12th 2011, 9:47 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : misspelled words)

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

half tank...but run out of fuel? Empty Re: half tank...but run out of fuel?

Post  69F100 November 12th 2011, 11:22 am

What ing. box do you have are you sure it is gas related and not fire related.If you are running the duro spark ing box it could be in it.Just something to check my box on my 69 started doing that before it went out.
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon November 12th 2011, 1:31 pm

Terry,make sure that the foam in the tank is not breaking up and plugging the line.PM me your phone #.I may be interested in the c6 converter. I have a extra Fuel pump if you need one.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  mustang68mustangs1 November 13th 2011, 10:12 am

Sounds like the cell isnt properly vented, or vapor lock.
Bob

mustang68mustangs1

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD November 13th 2011, 10:28 am

mustang68mustangs1 wrote:Sounds like the cell isnt properly vented, or vapor lock.
Bob

Vapor lock was my thought also. I have a 1/2" peice of aluminum fuel line attached to the vent side of the fuel cell running down through the trunk floor about 1 1/2 ". It has insulation on it like the rest of the fuel line. I blew out the filter and I got a little piece of a whitish material but seemed like it was too small to cause any trouble. When I rev it up after warm up it maintains the 6.5 lbs fuel pressure.
Thanks

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  GT300TD November 13th 2011, 10:44 am

69F100 wrote:What ing. box do you have are you sure it is gas related and not fire related.If you are running the duro spark ing box it could be in it.Just something to check my box on my 69 started doing that before it went out.

If you mean ignition box I'm just running the stock ignition with a Mallory unilite mech. advance distributor and a Mallory Promaster coil mounted on the firewall.
Thanks

GT300TD
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  69F100 November 13th 2011, 2:29 pm

GT300TD wrote:
69F100 wrote:What ing. box do you have are you sure it is gas related and not fire related.If you are running the duro spark ing box it could be in it.Just something to check my box on my 69 started doing that before it went out.

If you mean ignition box I'm just running the stock ignition with a Mallory unilite mech. advance distributor and a Mallory Promaster coil mounted on the firewall.
Thanks

yes the ingnition box is what I perferring to mine is the blue one they will do some funny stuff sometimes before they go out
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down