BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cleanng pickup truck fuel tank.

+2
69F100
Coupe Devil
6 posters

Go down

Cleanng pickup truck fuel tank. Empty Cleanng pickup truck fuel tank.

Post  Coupe Devil November 16th 2009, 7:08 pm

Fuel pump finally laid down on my 94 F-150. The rear pump was not working when I bought the truck and the front one quit a few weeks ago. I am just not getting around to getting to fixing it. Pulled the bed this weekend with some help from some friends cause both tanks were full of fuel and I didnt want to mess with dropping the tanks.

Pulled the rear pump and sender out tonight to install a new pump and the tank is got quite a bit of rust in it. I got the fuel siphoned out of the tank but there is still a little bit of fuel ( very little) and still some rust in there.

Ok, please dont flame me to bad but here are my thoughts. Leave the pump out of the tank for a few days to let the rest of the fuel evaporate ( I love me some EPA laws ) THEN use a wire brush on the inside of the tank to remove any excess rust. Fill the tank with water, and vacuum out the water / rust with a wet vac. Let the tank sit again for a few days to air dry..and vacuum any residual rust left in the tank.

I am SURE there is a better way of doing this. Im not in a hurry for the truck so if it takes a few more days to finish I'm ok with that.

Thoughts, I just dont want to pull the tank off even empty its a S.O.B. to work with..
Coupe Devil
Coupe Devil

https://www.facebook.com/NCSpeedlab

Back to top Go down

Cleanng pickup truck fuel tank. Empty Re: Cleanng pickup truck fuel tank.

Post  69F100 November 16th 2009, 7:30 pm

you might be ok doing it that way . but if I was you I would go ahead and drop the tank and clean it good shouldn't be to hard with the bed off I have dropped both tanks on my 86 and replaced the pumps it was not that hard just alot of dirt in the face, if the tank is very rusted and don't want to replace it napa sales some stuff you can coat the inside with and it will also plug up any little holes work good used it in my 69 mustang when I had it
69F100
69F100
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf November 16th 2009, 7:31 pm

If it is rusty I would buy a new tank. The rust won't go away unless you coat it with one of those tank restoration kits. By the time you clean it, have it steam cleaned then buy chemicals to seal the rust you would have spent more than just buying a new tank.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dirtbogger November 16th 2009, 7:33 pm

When you say fuel, I assume with the description its gas? Question

dirtbogger

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R November 16th 2009, 8:29 pm

Tanks are CHEAP, I wouldn't mess with a rusty tank. Rock Auto has them for 72-100 dollars, I'm sure you can find them locally for close to that.

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  longroofracer November 16th 2009, 11:30 pm

If the budget is an issue... might think about replacing 1 tank with a larger capacity tank, if available. Then, it is only 1 fuel pump to worry about.
longroofracer
longroofracer

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf November 17th 2009, 12:27 am

Here it us for $98 bucks. fuel tank

I can't believe you took the bed off. LOL. I used a floor jack last time I had to change ones like that. Do you put the truck on it's roof when you rotate tires? Cleanng pickup truck fuel tank. Icon_biggrin Cleanng pickup truck fuel tank. Icon_biggrin JK.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Coupe Devil November 17th 2009, 9:21 am

Both pumps had quit. The rear tank several months ago. I had been using just the front pump / tank since May. It was full of fuel when it the front pump quit two weeks ago. Much easier to just unplug the tail lights and lift the bed with a few friends instead of dropping both fuel tanks full of fuel.

I only turn the truck upside down when I clean out the ashtray.
Coupe Devil
Coupe Devil

https://www.facebook.com/NCSpeedlab

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down