BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attn 7.3 Diesel Ford techs

+4
bbf-falcon
TRUKPULR
72puller
Copperhead
8 posters

Go down

Attn 7.3 Diesel Ford techs Empty Attn 7.3 Diesel Ford techs

Post  Copperhead September 15th 2009, 1:30 pm

I got a recall notice in the mail informing me that my 97 F-250 PowerStroke is in need of a Cam Position Sensor (CPS). I was wondering if a dealer is allowed to give me the part and let me install it myself, rather than taking the truck in and letting them perform the service?

Call me anal if you want, but I don't like other people working on my vehicles if I can help it. I've changed a few of these in the past and it's takes 5-10 min tops. I don't really want to take a chance that some of their so-called "techs" at my local dealership(s) to do it w/o tearing something else up, scratching the piss out of the paint, or etc....

I can pick up a new (CPS) off Ebay for 20-25 bucks. If this was going to be something that was going to be expensive, I might just have to bite the bullet and take my chances, but not this time.

I already approached one dealer and they said NO. Mad
Copperhead
Copperhead

Back to top Go down

Attn 7.3 Diesel Ford techs Empty Re: Attn 7.3 Diesel Ford techs

Post  72puller September 15th 2009, 5:40 pm

I've got two recall notices on my 99 for the same thing. I had to change mine about a year before the first recall notice. The sensor was pretty high then. I tried to get the local dealer to just give me the new one for the recall since I had allready had to buy one. They wouldn't do it.

Dennis
72puller
72puller

Back to top Go down

Post  TRUKPULR September 15th 2009, 5:46 pm

OK here's what I'd do in your situation. Pick up a Sensor off ebay, put it in your glove box along with the tools to change it out in 5 minutes. Then if it’s goes to $hit you, you got one on hand.

From what I read on the diesel Web sites this cam sensor can go at any time or never go out at all. So having one on hand is good insurance.

Because even if they replace it at the dealership it could still $hit out on you later.

ShaZam
TRUKPULR
TRUKPULR

http://www.shazampulling.com

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon September 15th 2009, 6:05 pm

Yea, I took mine in a yr. ago. I had just changed mine myself and still had the old one in the GB. I ask the same Question that you did and got the same answer. I put my old one back on and put the new one in my GB and made them put me on a new one.

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 September 15th 2009, 6:28 pm

We give um out................I'll take the big .3 for the job lol.

I have like 10 of those sensors lying around, want one lol.
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  curiousgeorge September 15th 2009, 8:13 pm

I picked one up at my local ford dealer bout a month and 1/2 ago. I think it was like $27 or something like that. They said the price dropped after the recall came out. Might check it out. Cool

curiousgeorge

Back to top Go down

Post  whitefield September 16th 2009, 9:39 am

I got mine thru my local dealer . I just gave them my VIN number. No questions ask! You should be able To get it good luck.
whitefield
whitefield

Back to top Go down

Post  the1969fordguyinky September 16th 2009, 10:24 am

I was out of state picking up a WWII truck when mine went out, bucked like crazy until it wouldn't run at all. The dealership gave me one after they looked up either me or the VIN #. They did insist I brought the other one back though...
I'm thinking about getting another as a back up.
How much to ship one to me Jon? 40071
the1969fordguyinky
the1969fordguyinky

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down