BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OIL PRESSURE LOSS AT SHUTDOWN SOLVED

2 posters

Go down

OIL PRESSURE LOSS AT SHUTDOWN SOLVED Empty OIL PRESSURE LOSS AT SHUTDOWN SOLVED

Post  Dave De May 19th 2013, 2:08 pm

Last year I posted my engine failure from a condition where during braking at the stripe I lost oil pressure. I would let off the brake to make the pressure rise then brake again. I blamed the roller lifters, the Kaase oil pump and the oil control of the D9 block.

This year I went to a low end Canton pan for the Fox body that only had a scrapper in it. I removed the scrapper added a Canton windage tray and used it on an A460 block. The pan barely fits around the main caps and the Kaase pump is pushing against the bottom of the front sump. I am still using the same dual remote oil filter setup with the 5/8 lines.
I now have a consistent 60 psi of oil pressure at shutdown while using 9 quarts of oil.

I think that the tray along with the deeper pan that has a narrowed front sump does not allow the oil to stay in the front during braking.
My old pan was the Moroso 20614 and I dont think that I could get it to work properly unless the rear sump was deepened by at least 2 more inches.
In this case the lower end pan with the addition of a tray was less money and is working better than a more expensive pan with baffles and trap doors.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

OIL PRESSURE LOSS AT SHUTDOWN SOLVED Empty Re: OIL PRESSURE LOSS AT SHUTDOWN SOLVED

Post  Dave C. May 19th 2013, 5:08 pm

Did the low oil pressure hurt it ?

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

OIL PRESSURE LOSS AT SHUTDOWN SOLVED Empty Re: OIL PRESSURE LOSS AT SHUTDOWN SOLVED

Post  Dave De May 19th 2013, 5:22 pm

Dave C. wrote:Did the low oil pressure hurt it ?

Yes, on the previous run it wiped the 2-6 rod journal. I didnt know because it had good oil pressure. The next run it let go at the trap breaking the rod and trashing the bottom end.
Dave De
Dave De

Back to top Go down

Post  Dave C. May 19th 2013, 5:29 pm

Figures ..Lack of oil control seams to destroy a lot of good engines. Glad u found the problem..I welded extra baffles in my canton. Also run 1 extra quart of oil ...Probably costs a little HP but thats ok .

Dave C.

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down