BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Wheelie King,,,,,,,throwing doors off !

+24
dirtbogger
Treeyasoon
D. Sea
hillbillyerv
342g
westsideford
hienergy557
PROSTREET66
bigblockfox468
fastford600
billandlori
bbf-falcon
TravisRice
bruno
DILLIGASDAVE
KY JELLY
IDT-572
jasonf
Lem Evans
56Tbird
richter69
Nevs
schmitty
c.evans
28 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

The Wheelie King,,,,,,,throwing doors off ! Empty The Wheelie King,,,,,,,throwing doors off !

Post  c.evans November 7th 2009, 9:56 pm

Hey guys,

Just got the word from Randy Moore at Beech Bend today, that on the second pass, he stood it up so hard that he folded the wheelie bars up, went vertical, and pitched a door off the car. That's what I understood, but there was a lot of background noise at the Texas Roadhouse, sooo,,,,,maybe I've got something wrong. Anyway, I think Becca has got some video of it, and maybe they will get it up on here tonight when they get home. Very Happy

Charlie

Last edited by c.evans on November 8th 2009, 10:36 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Nevs had a better nickname)

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

The Wheelie King,,,,,,,throwing doors off ! Empty Re: The Wheelie King,,,,,,,throwing doors off !

Post  schmitty November 7th 2009, 10:09 pm

Shocked
schmitty
schmitty

Back to top Go down

The Wheelie King,,,,,,,throwing doors off ! Empty Re: The Wheelie King,,,,,,,throwing doors off !

Post  Nevs November 7th 2009, 10:10 pm

Sounds like traction wasn't an issue... Laughing Wink
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 November 7th 2009, 10:58 pm

The Wheelie King,,,,,,,throwing doors off ! Ky

The Wheelie King,,,,,,,throwing doors off ! Chery
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird November 7th 2009, 11:10 pm

That's what he told me , and he bent the motor plate and the tree that mounts the doghouse on. he said it got up on one back tire and teetered back and forth on each tire before he dropped it.That poor car has been catching hell with that P-51 monster in it!! I think we need to lay a killer paint job on it ,so he'll take better care of it Cool He'll probably wanna trade a well used cow in on that Razz Very Happy
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs November 7th 2009, 11:12 pm

Sounds like Randy has some work to do. I guess it could have been a lot worse. Sad
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird November 7th 2009, 11:22 pm

Steve , he told me that he was probably done for the year,but there's not but a couple of weeks left around here anyway. I guess we could put that beast in Ole tweety and try out my wheelie bars cheers lol!
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Lem Evans November 7th 2009, 11:23 pm

richter69 wrote:The Wheelie King,,,,,,,throwing doors off ! Ky

The Wheelie King,,,,,,,throwing doors off ! Chery

bump

Lem Evans

http://bfevansraceparts.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs November 7th 2009, 11:28 pm

56Tbird wrote:Steve , he told me that he was probably done for the year,but there's not but a couple of weeks left around here anyway. I guess we could put that beast in Ole tweety and try out my wheelie bars cheers lol!

Sounds like a plan, Dan. You'd better start working on him Exclamation Idea
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf November 7th 2009, 11:34 pm

Dang, I can't wait to see the video of that pass.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird November 8th 2009, 12:35 am

It's on the way... Very Happy
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 November 8th 2009, 1:13 am

He said it bent one wheelie bar first and got up on one rear tire. Sounded like a wild ride.

The video will be up in a few minutes Cool
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY November 8th 2009, 1:19 am

Here is the video , very lucky on the damage part considering not a scratch on the door. Shocked . Wait till you see the still shots the track photographer got . Disclaimer my undies are the same color they were when I left home so no Damon Sea depends jokes needed lol!

The Wheelie King,,,,,,,throwing doors off ! Th_09110702 Very Happy

This is about a 3/4 track shot , my best 1/4 to date was 8.19 @ 165 . I think the high speed is a good thing Very Happy

The Wheelie King,,,,,,,throwing doors off ! Th_09110701
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans November 8th 2009, 1:30 am

Holy Sheetz Randy! Which door came off? You are lucky the car didn't go over the guard rail. Got to lower those wheelie bars Exclamation

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  DILLIGASDAVE November 8th 2009, 1:50 am

Damn, how high off the ground have the bars been all this time anyway? They do look like they were off the ground a good distance, maybe 6" or more from the video stills . For a starting point for bar height measurement start around 4 - 4.25" off the ground (in a pinch you can use a closed fist under the wheels as an un-scientific gage).
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY November 8th 2009, 1:58 am

Blake caught it , it bent the wheelie bar brackets the first pass compare the 2 pics of the video screen. When I set the bars last one was 5 1/2 and the other was 6". I tightened the extension 3 clicks between the first and second pass. All I can say is this engine is one bad boy. I got to build a better set of wheelie bars Very Happy

Here is a still shot for Dan o his puter won't view video's

The Wheelie King,,,,,,,throwing doors off ! Bgwheelie
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  c.evans November 8th 2009, 2:09 am

Wow! Now then, back to the question, which door did it lose? Did it do that when it came back and hit the ground? Also, which motor plate did you bend? Front or back? All in all, what's the damage report?

Charlie

c.evans
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR
BBF VENDOR SPONSOR

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY November 8th 2009, 2:54 am

The drivers door is the one that came off , but it was not damaged. I am not sure when exactly it came off , but it did get my attention. I kinda had my hands full trying to keep it off the wall and in my lane Very Happy . I will add a cotter pin to my door hinges to keep that from happening again.

It bent the front engine plate , it had bent before one night at gleason when I set it down kinda hard because it was headed left, I straightened it out so I am sure it was weak. Its not bent bad just a little, but I will make a new one. There is just not much there when you cut them out for the danny bee. They are the main brace so they take all the load.

The only other damage I can see is it bent the steering arms on the struts down. These are actually made to bend to get the bump steer out when you set the struts up. I had just left them straight and raised and lowered my rack and pinion to set this. You can buy replacements so its no big deal.

I cant see anything other than that , but I will go over it with a fine tooth comb before I run it again. We set it up on Sonny's 4 wheel computerized alignment rack that reads to .1 of a degree so I will put it back on it to check it out.
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird November 8th 2009, 4:14 am

Randy ,you better go buy a lottery ticket after getting that thing home in one piece!!! Holy Cow!!! Your a cool cat, but you just lost at least 1 life on that run affraid affraid Tell Bruno what the sky looks like Cool Very Happy
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird November 8th 2009, 4:15 am

I got it to work Randy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!SHIT!!!!!!! affraid affraid Very Happy
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  56Tbird November 8th 2009, 4:17 am

If your undies are the same color .........those mofo's had Skid marks in them before you left the house cheers cheers drunken drunken lol!
56Tbird
56Tbird
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno November 8th 2009, 8:27 am

holy moly ......... Randy im really glad your ok ..... the car is repairable ...come on down to Bama if you need to borrow a ride Wink

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Post  TravisRice November 8th 2009, 8:54 am

Very lucky Randy. If you are planning on keeping that up we may as well start a thread for KY Mustangs rebuild. It sure is going to need it soon. Wink Be safe man.

Travis

TravisRice
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs November 8th 2009, 9:56 am

I think we need to give you a new nickname, instead of KY Jelly, I think Wheelie King might be more appropriate! I'm with Dave, next time out lower the initial setting on the wheelie bars... Idea Glad it's not any worse than it is.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY November 8th 2009, 10:26 am

The design of the wheelie bar is what caused the car to go crazy coupled with the fact the wheelie bar brackets were bent on the first pass and I did not catch it. When I got the car built I took it to a local chassis shop to have them set the 4 link because I had never messed with a 4 link before and had no idea where to start.
I had already talked with them about buying the material to build some wheelie bars and they offered to build some for just a shade over what the material cost , but said you won't need them anyway and I did not at the time.

Anyway they were built with convince in mind and the x brace was put in the top so I could get a jack under them without taking them loose. The jam nuts on the rod ends are all that held the bars straight and the one on the left side moved on this run and let the bar roll over . I am not blaming them I should have upgraded its my fault.

The bottom line when you start dealing with this much power the ball game changes. This car has a 110" wheel base and 47% on the rear ic is out at 62". I never thought it would do this so I am learning yes. I don't like that this happened but I can do nothing about it. I can however fix it and will . I will never give up on my main focus to put this p-51 headed engine in the 4's naturally aspirated . Its gonna happen and its got the azz to do it.
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next