BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

It's been a tough couple of weeks

5 posters

Go down

It's been a tough couple of weeks Empty It's been a tough couple of weeks

Post  Mike R April 7th 2015, 9:32 pm

We buried my grampa today. He turned 100 in February and said that's enough but he was waiting to pass until after my dad, what a guy. He had quite the send off, he was a WW11 vet so he got a military burial, I doubt I'll ever see another one.

Mike R

Back to top Go down

It's been a tough couple of weeks Empty Re: It's been a tough couple of weeks

Post  61coon April 7th 2015, 9:39 pm

Not many WWII vets around, 100 yrs is a long long life. He witnessed a lot in his lifetime. I am greatful for his service to our country, but sorry for your loss.... Prayers for you
61coon
61coon

Back to top Go down

Post  Frank Merkl April 8th 2015, 12:53 am

My Grandfather Passed in 2004 at the ripe old age of 103 , born in 1900 came to Canada just before the start of WW1 at the age of 17 as the was no room for him at home in Germany . worked in the coal mines in southern alberta until 1929 and move to the One Tree District east of Brooks to start farming , and the rest is history!!
Frank Merkl
Frank Merkl

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 April 8th 2015, 6:57 am

A lot of WW2 vets in my family too.... Try are all gone now bit it was awesome talking with them and being part if their lives.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  Mike R April 8th 2015, 7:55 pm

dfree383 wrote:A lot of WW2 vets in my family too.... Try are all gone now bit it was awesome talking with them and being part if their lives.

Yep, Curly was quite a guy. I've never met anyone like him, he was one of a kind. Here's a link to his obituary, it describes him to a tee http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/twincities/obituary.aspx?n=eugene-karels-curly&pid=174560344&

Mike R

Back to top Go down

Post  BigRigTech April 8th 2015, 9:54 pm

My grampy (dad's side) died about 5yrs ago, he was 92. He spent WW2 as a oiler in the merchant navy on the north atlantic. It took the friggin' Canadian government 50 years to recognize the efforts and loss of the merchant navy vet's. I think of him daily and still miss him a lot. I was lucky growing up, my other granddad was a commercial fisherman and when grampy retired he used to go to the wharf and split fish for him....Never wanted anything but some fresh fish for supper. I was about 10, up to my eyeballs in fish guts and loving every minute of it. Great memories that tear me up as I get older. Wink
BigRigTech
BigRigTech

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down