BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When ET isn't everything

4 posters

Go down

When ET isn't everything Empty When ET isn't everything

Post  FalconEh April 13th 2015, 10:11 pm

Time to upgrade the size of the fuel cell in my street / strip car, old cell is out new one is mocked up, drilling holes and cleaning the trunk, when I have to laugh at myself...The trunk floor looks good but what kind of weight savings did I get when I removed the tank, installed a 1" (.125W) mild steel frame, and remade the trunk floor in stainless steel... Aluminum would have been cheaper, lighter and held up ok on the street. The floor looks good and will outlast the car but really, being a full interior street / strip car I have to realize my thought process may have been justified, as it was not all about the ET...but it was on the blacktop...

When ET isn't everything Fe2238b8-b0d4-40ca-b206-5384ee8fecd5

When ET isn't everything 5d0cdbed-fab5-4108-8f08-ccb7823a611d

Last edited by FalconEh on April 14th 2015, 8:52 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : pics)
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

When ET isn't everything Empty Re: When ET isn't everything

Post  DILLIGASDAVE April 14th 2015, 2:50 am

I can't see the pic so I don't know how big your cell is. But in the past on plastic cells in the 3-5 gallon range I have used tubing as small as 1/2" x .065" wall (or .058" wall) in mild steel and/or moly for the cell's base/seat/cradle/framework (whatever you want to call it). And either 3/4" or 1" wide aluminum mounting straps around the cell, with either 1/4, 5/16, or 3/8 bolts & nuts mounting the straps to the cell's mount/cradle.
DILLIGASDAVE
DILLIGASDAVE

Back to top Go down

Post  rmcomprandy April 14th 2015, 8:17 am

ET is not everything when you are driving the vehicle around town and it needs to remain "fun to drive".

rmcomprandy

http://www.rmcompetition.com

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh April 14th 2015, 8:23 pm

DILLIGASDAVE wrote:I can't see the pic so I don't know how big your cell is. But in the past on plastic cells in the 3-5 gallon range I have used tubing as small as 1/2" x .065" wall (or .058" wall) in mild steel and/or moly for the cell's base/seat/cradle/framework (whatever you want to call it). And either 3/4" or 1" wide aluminum mounting straps around the cell, with either 1/4, 5/16, or 3/8 bolts & nuts mounting the straps to the cell's mount/cradle.

Thanks Dave, The car had an 8-gallon plastic fuel cell in it, but it is in the process of being changed out to a 15 Gallon alum cell with foam and sender, the current framing will still work, and although I melted a few bits on the stainless floor LOL, it is mocked up now and will live to be a tad heavy another few days...at least

rmcomprandy wrote:ET is not everything when you are driving the vehicle around town and it needs to remain "fun to drive".

Very True Randy! The choices in finding the correct balance, always leave me thinking what I need to do differently. The problem for me is too many scenarios, and not enough cars or money. Smile
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  gmsmkr April 14th 2015, 8:27 pm

You can just pill it on up if it's to heavy Laughing O yea give us the pic back you can't build it up and not deliver Razz
gmsmkr
gmsmkr

Back to top Go down

Post  FalconEh April 14th 2015, 8:54 pm

OOps,
It should be fixed now but these are just mock up pictures, the fuel pump, step down box, and battery isolator all have to move as the fuel line is no longer a straight pull.
FalconEh
FalconEh

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down