BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

460 turns over great but won't fire....

5 posters

Go down

460 turns over great but won't fire.... Empty 460 turns over great but won't fire....

Post  shooter jim May 19th 2015, 2:01 pm

my Son and i have a garage door business and run two 79 half-tons with the 460-C6 combo. i bought my driver at 49k original miles and now have 204k on it. It has ALWAYS started right up and has never let me down. i came home from a job up North and it ran great. The next morning it wouldn't start or even try to fire. i noticed the gas was shooting out the front breather hole on the Holly carb. i had a local expert rebuild the carb over the weekend, put it on and it still didn't start. As you all know, new parts are plentiful and on the cheap side, so i replaced:
ignition switch and tumbler
ignition module
distributor, coil and coil wire
solinoid and plugs (the spark seems weak at the plugs)
The number 1 cylinder still fires to 1 o'clock at the rotor on the compression stroke
new fuel pump with an inline pressure adjustment
The timing is close to 10 degrees btdc and
it still won't even begin to start.

i was a body man/painter for years and not much of a mechanic. i've chopped 10-15 cars and trucks and presently have a 27 Pontiac 2-dr sedan, that i bought from Brother Brucie, who restored it in the 60's, for 5k and, believe it or not, sold 3500 bucks worth of parts i didn't need on "Old Cars"magazine. i chopped the top, put a TCI IFS, 9" rear under it and painted it Blue/Black Deltron, blah blah blah.
i also have a 77 F250, 460-c6 with 78k original miles and a 79 F150, 460-C6 with 88k original miles, but i would sure like to get my BABY back on the road after two weeks of rest. i would appreciate any help here. GOD BLESS ALL OF YOU....

my older step-brother Brucie was a total Ford Guy and drove a white, 57 Ford Convertible for 40 years, before he died in 99.
i had a black Deltron 69 Mach I "M" code, 4-speed car for 20 years before i sold it and got into Trans-Am's.
i bought my Son a red 69 Mach I "S" code, 4-speed car for his high school graduation and he still has it.

shooter jim

Back to top Go down

460 turns over great but won't fire.... Empty Re: 460 turns over great but won't fire....

Post  DanH May 19th 2015, 5:41 pm

you forgot to write a novel about the fuel.

try just posting about the problem and what you tried to correct.

You can edit the post for just the problem

DanH

Back to top Go down

460 turns over great but won't fire.... Empty Re: 460 turns over great but won't fire....

Post  supervel45 May 19th 2015, 6:59 pm

If you have a kill switch, bypass it. I have had them go bad and cause problems like this. If you don't have a kill switch, I would start checking ignition wires and plug connections.

supervel45

Back to top Go down

Post  jasonf May 19th 2015, 8:12 pm

Wow you have really been throwing the bucks at it looking at that list.

The number 1 cylinder still fires to 1 o'clock at the rotor on the compression stroke wrote:

I have no idea what you are saying here. Number 1 should fire when the rotor gets to the #1 post, where that is in relation to 1,2, or 3 o'clock should not matter as long as it is on the right one.

Did it make any funny noises last time it ran or when you shut it off? If it is trying to fire but it is not then it could be that your timing is way off. Like maybe you jumped a tooth on the timing chain or just put the distributor in wrong. Trying cranking it over and move the distributor slowly one direction then the other and see if it fires any better. Also crank it over with the distributor cap off and watch the rotor to make sure it is turning properly and smoothly. You can also look down the distributor hole to check the distributor gear on the camshaft to make sure it is all there and in good shape.
jasonf
jasonf
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  tconnection May 19th 2015, 11:14 pm

Pick up coil

tconnection

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down