BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Powerglide question

+12
TopSportsman916
David Cole
ThndrChkn
KY JELLY
D. Sea
Anton Olafsson
bbf-falcon
Nevs
dfree383
IDT-572
studly
bruno
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Powerglide question Empty Powerglide question

Post  bruno Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 21:22

so the only thing that is stock on my glide is my case , everything else has been upgraded so what is the hp/tq capabilities on this tranny ??

www.OakleyMotorsports.com
www.Induction-Solutions.com
www.bfevansraceparts.com
www.ultimateconverter.com
www.keithfulpmotorsports.com
bruno
bruno

http://WWW.CKRME.COM

Back to top Go down

Powerglide question Empty Re: Powerglide question

Post  studly Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 21:30

I have run low 5,s in the 1/8 with a stock case, the aftermarket case only gives protection it will not make you run any faster
studly
studly

Back to top Go down

Post  IDT-572 Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 21:33

I think Ky has a stock case as do I, I would like to hear the answer to this question also.

I have had my eye out for an aftermarket case, I figure it's just a matter of time Shocked
IDT-572
IDT-572
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 21:34

Stock Case here too.
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 21:35

studly wrote:I have run low 5,s in the 1/8 with a stock case, the aftermarket case only gives protection it will not make you run any faster

welcome to the site studly ..... if you dont mind me asking what is you build ... and when you say low 5's do you mean 5.0's , 5 teens , etc and what is your weight

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 21:42

Nick,
I ran a stock case with a JW Ultrabell in our '93 Foxbody. Was a full tube chassis,2350#, Aheaded 557" with two Dominators. Dyno'd 1110 horsepower. 17X33 Goodyears, left at 6000+ off the brake, 1.11 60', 5.02@140 in the 1/8th, 7.84@177 in the quarter. We ran the same case for five years, 300+ passes, zero problems. I'm running an aftermarket case in my new car only because I got a good deal on the whole transmission, not because I'm afraid of the stock case. It's more about preparation and proper mounting in my opinion.
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  bbf-falcon Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 21:57

bruno wrote:so the only thing that is stock on my glide is my case , everything else has been upgraded so what is the hp/tq capabilities on this tranny ??
Nick,I ask that same ??? to a buddy of mine. He has a twin turbo firebird w/twin turbo. He has been 4.40's in the 1/8 w/stock case

bbf-falcon

Back to top Go down

Post  Anton Olafsson Wed 12 Aug 2009 - 22:04

I have a stock case with JW bellhouse behind my twinturbo 351W, and it´s great!
Anton Olafsson
Anton Olafsson

http://www.ba.is

Back to top Go down

Post  D. Sea Thu 13 Aug 2009 - 8:04

I'm running an aftermarket case in my new car only because I got a good deal on the whole transmission, not because I'm afraid of the stock case.

Same deal, Chris Corey made me a deal that I couldn't pass up. Mine is JW Bell, JW Case, JW tail shaft and JW pan all SFI stuff.

Thanks again Chris afro
D. Sea
D. Sea

Back to top Go down

Post  KY JELLY Thu 13 Aug 2009 - 22:12

Nick , my stock case cracked and I replaced it with an aftermarket because I thought it was time to step up. Some of the guys that are running in the dds with us are running stock cases behind blowers , but they realize they are pushing their luck.

I personally would not buy the case until you have problems with yours. I just did not want to have the same thing happen again and planned on stepping up in the future so I went aftermarket.
KY JELLY
KY JELLY

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn Sun 16 Aug 2009 - 16:30

Well Nick, not that I'm all that fast, but my Glide has a stock case with a JW Ultra Bell and a stock 1.76 planetary as well... I launch it at 5500 on a 16" wide slick... So far so good... I believe they're very impressive to say the least...

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  Nevs Sun 16 Aug 2009 - 16:50

1bad521 wrote:Well Nick, not that I'm all that fast, but my Glide has a stock case with a JW Ultra Bell and a stock 1.76 planetary as well... I launch it at 5500 on a 16" wide slick... So far so good... I believe they're very impressive to say the least...

Doug... Cool

Doug,
You might want to start saving your pennies for a straight cut set of planetaries, launching that hard on that large of a tire will eventually take it's toll. Don't ask me how I know... Wink
Nevs
Nevs
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn Sun 16 Aug 2009 - 19:07

Duely noted... Very Happy

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  David Cole Sun 16 Aug 2009 - 19:28

Nevs wrote:
1bad521 wrote:Well Nick, not that I'm all that fast, but my Glide has a stock case with a JW Ultra Bell and a stock 1.76 planetary as well... I launch it at 5500 on a 16" wide slick... So far so good... I believe they're very impressive to say the least...

Doug... Cool

Doug,
You might want to start saving your pennies for a straight cut set of planetaries, launching that hard on that large of a tire will eventually take it's toll. Don't ask me how I know... Wink

Bingo....

Just a shot of some ugly stuff. This was a planetary of mine with AFTERMARKET helical 1.76 gears. Stronger than stock, but not as strong as straight cut. It was like a greande went off in there. Metal everywhere. Let go about 80 ft off the line. I have straight cuts now.
http://216.77.188.54/coDataImages/p/Groups/26/26404/folders/171775/2421956p2.jpg
David Cole
David Cole
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

http://my.att.net/p/s/community.dll?ep=16&groupid=66449&

Back to top Go down

Post  TopSportsman916 Sun 16 Aug 2009 - 20:41

Nick, are asking what are the HP capacity of the entire trans or just the case? I agree with Randy as far as changing out your stock case. If you aren't having problems with it, leave it alone. When you upgrade your PG for the C head motor then I would go aftermarket case.

Doug, Your truck is a 9 second ride @ sea level. Heck it may be a 9 sec. ride at your altitude if you keep tuning on it. That is pretty damn stout. You have a big motor with lots of torque. I would highly recommend some parts upgrade in your PG. It's just not worth the risk of grenading & possibly hurting the motor,car, & or you too. Just my 2 cents.
TopSportsman916
TopSportsman916

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno Sun 16 Aug 2009 - 21:00

Yes Chris , im starting to put together a parts list for the c-head upgrade .... thats why i was asking

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  ThndrChkn Mon 17 Aug 2009 - 8:59

Thanks Chris, I fully understand what you guys are saying... I'm planning on upgrading it for next season... There are only a couple more races I want to make here this year, then out she comes...

Doug... Cool
ThndrChkn
ThndrChkn

Back to top Go down

Post  TopSportsman916 Mon 17 Aug 2009 - 19:31

bruno wrote:Yes Chris , im starting to put together a parts list for the c-head upgrade .... thats why i was asking

welcome to the world of changing one thing so you have to change 10 other things !!! Very Happy Wasn't sure since the only thing anybody was talking about were cases. When you upgrade, I would go with a straight cut 1.80 gear set. I would get a gear set that is rated at least a couple of hundred HP higher than what you expect to have. Just as a cushion. A good ringless input shaft with turbo splines in case you shake the tires( very possible w/nitrous). It is less prone to breaking. Either a good 8 clutch or 10 clutch drum, dual ring servo, good output shaft, & a Pro tree brake. You will be sitting pretty. I went through all this last year. I priced a complete new trans while keeping my old one. Too much $$$. I then priced parts to upgrade. Then I sold my old glide to Damon & that allowed me to get a new trans for what it was going to cost me to upgrade. I don't know who you prefer as far as transmissions but I would highly recommend Coan. Talk to either Craig or Art. They are good guys to deal with & have never tried to sell me more than what I needed. I was the one who went for way overkill when I bought the Big Dog glide. Hope this helps Very Happy
TopSportsman916
TopSportsman916

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno Mon 17 Aug 2009 - 19:49

yes it does Chris .... the guts of my tranny have all the goods already just need the case

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  TopSportsman916 Mon 17 Aug 2009 - 20:15

bruno wrote:yes it does Chris .... the guts of my tranny have all the goods already just need the case

Well at least that puts you one step ahead in the game.... Very Happy
TopSportsman916
TopSportsman916

Back to top Go down

Post  fordtek1 Wed 19 Aug 2009 - 18:05

also remember if you use the new reid case, the dimensions are different, requiring the reid billet flexplate and some converter mods to fit correctly.....imo, i'd stick with the dedenbear style case so you can use all your existing stuff.

fordtek1

Back to top Go down

Post  bruno Wed 19 Aug 2009 - 18:09

good info Rick

www.bfevansraceparts.com
bruno
bruno

Back to top Go down

Post  TopSportsman916 Wed 19 Aug 2009 - 19:08

fordtek1 wrote:also remember if you use the new reid case, the dimensions are different, requiring the reid billet flexplate and some converter mods to fit correctly.....imo, i'd stick with the dedenbear style case so you can use all your existing stuff.

Actually Reid & Dedenbear are the same company. Rick is referring to the Reid one pc case. You will need an adapter plate for that. I don't think there is anything wrong with the JW set ups myself. I never had any problems.
TopSportsman916
TopSportsman916

Back to top Go down

Powerglide question Empty Case of confusion

Post  Wheelie58 Wed 19 Aug 2009 - 23:20

Many great observations have been posted on this topic..on this string. Even though both of my "non Ford 2-speed racing transmissions" have Ultra cases, I agree that many OE case failures have been traced to a root cause of mounting applications rather than torque.
One point that I wanted to add.
If you bite the bullet and roll with a 1.80 straight cut....do not think that the gear set will last forever. My top quality (I think) BTE 1.80 gear set was flat worn out...galled...spalled and getting ready to shell after about 125 runs in the 'ol 58. ( 3625 LB) I just decided to fully dissasemble the carrier during a normal freshen-up/clean out after conveter failure and was blown away to find the wiped out cogs. Some of the runs were with the 605, but most were applied by the trusty old 514.
On the good side, the gears are available as service parts, without buying the whole assembly.
Just a reminder to keep an eye on things.
Race on....
Keith
www.KeithFulpMotorsports.com
Wheelie58
Wheelie58

http://www.keithfulpmotorsports.com

Back to top Go down

Post  TopSportsman916 Thu 20 Aug 2009 - 18:32

Wheelie58 wrote:Many great observations have been posted on this topic..on this string. Even though both of my "non Ford 2-speed racing transmissions" have Ultra cases, I agree that many OE case failures have been traced to a root cause of mounting applications rather than torque.
One point that I wanted to add.
If you bite the bullet and roll with a 1.80 straight cut....do not think that the gear set will last forever. My top quality (I think) BTE 1.80 gear set was flat worn out...galled...spalled and getting ready to shell after about 125 runs in the 'ol 58. ( 3625 LB) I just decided to fully dissasemble the carrier during a normal freshen-up/clean out after conveter failure and was blown away to find the wiped out cogs. Some of the runs were with the 605, but most were applied by the trusty old 514.
On the good side, the gears are available as service parts, without buying the whole assembly.
Just a reminder to keep an eye on things.
Race on....
Keith
www.KeithFulpMotorsports.com

Very good info there Keith !!!! Very Happy
TopSportsman916
TopSportsman916

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next