BIG BLOCK FORD
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

PowerGlide Header clearance Fox Body Question

Go down

PowerGlide Header clearance Fox Body Question Empty PowerGlide Header clearance Fox Body Question

Post  ustahava67 February 7th 2014, 6:19 pm

Hello Folks, I am swaping my 86 Mustang from a small block over to a 501 BBF/ Glide combo. I already have the Hooker swap headers and be getting a set of Motorplates (front & mid) from Keith Fulp.
I was wondering if the headers will clear a glide with an ultrabell?
Also if they will clear a deep pan?
I already built the Glide but have not ordered the motorplates or a converter yet.
I will have to run a trans sheild also as I race at an NHRA track.
Insight from those have gone there before would be helpful. Thanks, Daniel
ustahava67
ustahava67

Back to top Go down

PowerGlide Header clearance Fox Body Question Empty Re: PowerGlide Header clearance Fox Body Question

Post  biglucky February 7th 2014, 11:36 pm

I have Keith's midplate with the glide and ultra bell. I had the hooker swap headers for my Fairmont and the best thing I ever done was get rid of them. Save yourself a lot of time and trouble and buy a set with individual tubes with slip on collectors. This is just my opinion and my experience.
biglucky
biglucky

Back to top Go down

PowerGlide Header clearance Fox Body Question Empty Re: PowerGlide Header clearance Fox Body Question

Post  ustahava67 February 7th 2014, 11:49 pm

I appreciate the opinion and input.
Were you able to make the Hookers work?... Difficult I can live with for a season. If they are impossible I may have put the swap off for a another year
I have the same problem as many others out there do...Little to No $. The dang hookers are paid for and in the shop Wink
I would really like to go with a larger header and ind. tubes but this thing is killin' me moneywise. I still have not pulled the trigger on yanking the Small Block out yet. It's a solid 10.70 combo now. I have the 501 on the engine stand waiting
ustahava67
ustahava67

Back to top Go down

Post  whatbumper February 8th 2014, 12:47 am

We don't sell the ultra bell because of header clearance unless someone really wants it.  The QuickTime bell cost more but is smaller for clearance.

whatbumper

Back to top Go down

Post  richter69 February 8th 2014, 12:52 am

front exit ftw.....
richter69
richter69

Back to top Go down

Post  ustahava67 February 8th 2014, 1:56 am

richter69 wrote:front exit ftw.....
I have seriously considered this route but I don't have the welding skills to fab my own
ustahava67
ustahava67

Back to top Go down

Post  biglucky February 8th 2014, 11:51 am

I made them work but and used them for two seasons. Just keep your eye out for a good set of individual tubes.
biglucky
biglucky

Back to top Go down

Post  bigblockfox468 February 9th 2014, 2:15 pm

bigblockfox468
bigblockfox468
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  ustahava67 February 9th 2014, 3:49 pm

Thanks for the link Smile I actually searched for it before I posted the question but I got no hits. I remembered seeing it a couple of years ago when I made the decision to put in a 385 engine. I'll be getting the plates in the next couple of weeks and barring any more side jobs I'll start the process In & Out& Measure x2 and Cut& In & Out& Measure......Till It's done
ustahava67
ustahava67

Back to top Go down

Post  bigjohn2007 March 1st 2014, 2:07 pm

biglucky wrote:I have Keith's midplate with the glide and ultra bell. I had the hooker swap headers for my Fairmont and the best thing I ever done was get rid of them. Save yourself a lot of time and trouble and buy a set with individual tubes with slip on collectors. This is just my opinion and my experience.
X2
bigjohn2007
bigjohn2007
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Post  dfree383 March 2nd 2014, 2:58 pm

Got to watch the hooker headers an mid plates, they won't clear most mid plates from my expriance.

Also got to watch some headers for deep pan clearance with a pg trans
dfree383
dfree383
BBF CONTRIBUTOR
BBF CONTRIBUTOR

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum